Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This only happned to me once, and it was at an airport restaurant, so maybe their standards are lower...but I order eggs and toast, and the waiter brought my eggs out but no toast. He started walking away and I asked about my toast and he said "it'll be out in a few minutes". Who eats their toast after they've already eaten their eggs? I like to dunk my toast into the eggs, and to me not to have them at the same time ruined the whole breakfast. Was I supposed to sit there and watch my eggs get cold waiting for my toast? Is it really that hard to time the toast to be ready when the eggs are? I ended up waiting, but it was almost 10 minutes, and I spent the whole time in a state of anxiety over it, lol.

It always happens that way I like toast with my eggs, too, so I can dunk in the yolk, but regardless of what you say, they always bring the toast after serving the eggs....I've finally given up and do my dunking at home

Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
I was a waiter for year while going to school and worked in a mid priced restaurant with an 'American' menu. Lots of chains have adopted the model but they don't get it. Our staff was trained and scrutinized heavily from your appearance and performance to your table manners. We used the multi-waiter system as it is more efficient when implemented correctly. It eliminates groups of waiters huddled around and chatting, forcing them to walk around refilling drinks and busing tables. The waiter assigned the table takes all orders and delivers/collects the tab so no mixup there. We had no busboys - that looks rather tacky at a better restaurant. I learned what to look for when dining out and don't really like it save for the BBQ place down the road and maybe a breakfast diner on weekends.

Steakhouses are a ripoff. What is the price of a dinner for two at Ruth's? Over $100 easily. I can go to a nice store, buy a couple of good cuts of meat, potatoes, salad makings and beverages for half that and enjoy it more. I don't get the dim sum arrangement. Lots of people will belittle you and consider you cheap if you don't get into the eating out experience but that is their hangups - I have run into it a lot here on C-D, especially in my area. Elitist a*******.

I hate a waiter who asks if there if any change is needed when taking the check - usually hidden in one of those black folding placards with American Express imprinted on it. The proper wording should be 'I'll get this for you' and bring it back with change or the credit card receipt to sign. Don't be presumptuous; of course there is change. I should be using the Dick Tip method.

I'll walk out of a place that adds gratuity to the bill. Hopefully it is on the menu to let you know in advance or they get really stiffed. Tacking on 18% before ordering is like charging a toll.

No soap/paper towels in the restroom. Duh...

I really hate overdone birthday antics put on by a wait staff. It gets to be like a dinner theater at times.

These 1st world problems are so crazy I don't really like to go out.

As a waiter, I hated people who sat for hours after eating sipping on hot water with lemon and not tipping for renting the booth/table.

I've learned a lot of people don't have manners to go out for dinner. What makes them tick?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
The inability of a restaurant to boil water for a cup of tea.

You don't make tea with a cup of lukewarm water and tea bag that's handed to you or sitting on the saucer and not even PUT into the water. Boiling water poured over teabag = tea. You can NEVER get it to be a real cup of tea with lukewarm water. What is so damn difficult about making a cup of tea?

The other annoyance are places that offer side dishes at silly prices. $2.95 for a side dish of sauteed spinach? No, I don't THINK so. Yes, I expect you to make a profit for cooking something and bringing it to me. No, I don't expect that you think I'm such a moron that I would pay that much for 50 cents worth of leaves and oil.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,187,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
What is it that seems to happen to you all the time when eating out?

For me it is ordering appetizers. It seems like 75% of the time, when I order an appetizer, the waiter brings it either 60 seconds before the main course arrives, or they bring it at the exact same time as the main course. I never have time to eat the appetizer, and I regret even ordering it. There is nothing that annoys me more than taking the very first bite of my appetizer, then looking up to see the waiter standing over me with my meal, forcing me to quickly move my hors d'oeuvre plate around to make room, with a mouth full of food. I have had to resort to making it very clear when I order, that I need the appetizer served in advance of the meal.

It seems like this should be such a basic rule of waiting and cooking for people = how to properly prepare and space out the hors d'oeuvres vs main course orders. Yet, every place I eat at screws this up over and over.

Yea, I know this is a "1st world problem", but this is the food forum, so tell us what little annoyances seem to happen to you every time you eat out...
It's not the menu items that annoy me. It's the parents who cannot control their whiny, bratty, out of control child or children, and refuse to do anything about it other than ignore it like they're being well behaved little angels.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The inability of a restaurant to boil water for a cup of tea.

You don't make tea with a cup of lukewarm water and tea bag that's handed to you or sitting on the saucer and not even PUT into the water. Boiling water poured over teabag = tea. You can NEVER get it to be a real cup of tea with lukewarm water. What is so damn difficult about making a cup of tea?

The other annoyance are places that offer side dishes at silly prices. $2.95 for a side dish of sauteed spinach? No, I don't THINK so. Yes, I expect you to make a profit for cooking something and bringing it to me. No, I don't expect that you think I'm such a moron that I would pay that much for 50 cents worth of leaves and oil.

50 cents would be profit for such a side dish. It's the same for a $5 side salad. I would rather bring in a $3 bag of ready made salad than pay for 10 heads of lettuce - they buy in bulk.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Out of the group of about 12, one lady informs us that her colonoscopy is scheduled for next week. Immediately everyone wants to tell THEIR colonoscopy story and how their ..........." first 8 were smooth but my 9th one was very uncomfortable "
I can relate. I'm one of the youngest members in my fraternity. We had a dinner a couple of nights ago and I was seated with five others who were at least fifteen years older than me. While there was no mention of a colonoscopy, there was a common theme among us; hypertension, cardiac bypass surgery, diabetes, stiff joints, and impaired vision.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
We were eating at a restaurant an hour and a half before closing and one of the waitresses started mopping the floor. She made her way to our table and asked if we could lift our feet while she mopped under our table - LOL. I suppose management didn't pay anyone past closing.
Yes, I've seen this, too. OK, not mopping, but vacuuming. There's a Chinese buffet by my house where the staff starts vacuuming about an hour or so before closing. I get that sometimes something gets dumped on the floor and has to be cleaned up, but my goodness. Why don't they just put some Amityville Horror-style recording over the stereo system: "Get...out!!!" while they're at it?

Also, when the staff wipes down the booths/tables with bleach or some other noxious cleaning substance while patrons are eating? Yes, I want to eat in a clean establishment, but I don't need the overpowering stench of bleach while I am eating.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,213,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I
I'll walk out of a place that adds gratuity to the bill. Hopefully it is on the menu to let you know in advance or they get really stiffed. Tacking on 18% before ordering is like charging a toll.
I see this a lot, but normally it says it is only charged when the party has something like 10 or more people.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
How about going to a restaurant that adds 18% "gratuity" to the bill and then has a place for tip? We went to a restaurant that does this five times before I finally noticed the 18% gratuity charge. The 18% gratuity charge statement was at the very bottom of the menu in tiny print, so I'm sure we weren't the only ones who hadn't noticed this. We had been double-tipping the previous times and the waitress never said a word. I had been tipping over 35% for those meals.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:54 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I can relate. I'm one of the youngest members in my fraternity. We had a dinner a couple of nights ago and I was seated with five others who were at least fifteen years older than me. While there was no mention of a colonoscopy, there was a common theme among us; hypertension, cardiac bypass surgery, diabetes, stiff joints, and impaired vision.
Scary, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink