Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
We ate at a restaurant in Arizona and there were 2 psychotherapists talking about their patients at the table near us. You could hear everything they were saying. I was beyond amazed. Imagine if someone heard similarities to someone they knew. Hippa violation, unethical, etc., etc. They didn't use names, but whoa....What idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Am curious; if they didn't mention names of their patients, would that still break confidentiality?

But wouldn't it be humiliating if one of the people they talked about, and named, were yourself!
Highly inappropriate and unprofessional. Just imagine pranking them by walking over to their table and saying "Couldn't help but overhear. I think I know the person you're talking about. We at the office never realized how messed up she really is. Thanks for the 4-1-1!" And walk away leaving two mortified therapists, wondering whether and when a nasty lawsuit is coming.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Highly inappropriate and unprofessional. Just imagine pranking them by walking over to their table and saying "Couldn't help but overhear. I think I know the person you're talking about. We at the office never realized how messed up she really is. Thanks for the 4-1-1!" And walk away leaving two mortified therapists, wondering whether and when a nasty lawsuit is coming.

Hehe. We were actually sitting across from them, at an angle, were 4-5 tables away. It wasn't busy in the restaurant, only them, us and maybe one other table w/ people at it. Maybe they felt that gave them carte blanche to discuss their patients. My husband and I were kinda amazed; we still talk about it.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Am curious; if they didn't mention names of their patients, would that still break confidentiality?

But wouldn't it be humiliating if one of the people they talked about, and named, were yourself!
They never mentioned names that I could hear. And we weren't eavesdropping, they were loud. But, it was something so bizarre. If they needed a supervision session (for their countertransference issues), Perkins wasn't the place!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
The biggest annoyances to me are when the food is too salty, which it almost always is, and when the portions are ginormous. It's completely unappetizing to have a colossal plate of food, enough for two or three people, set down in front of you. Blech.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM

52,237 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
What is it that seems to happen to you all the time when eating out?

For me it is ordering appetizers. It seems like 75% of the time, when I order an appetizer, the waiter brings it either 60 seconds before the main course arrives, or they bring it at the exact same time as the main course. I never have time to eat the appetizer, and I regret even ordering it. There is nothing that annoys me more than taking the very first bite of my appetizer, then looking up to see the waiter standing over me with my meal, forcing me to quickly move my hors d'oeuvre plate around to make room, with a mouth full of food. I have had to resort to making it very clear when I order, that I need the appetizer served in advance of the meal.

It seems like this should be such a basic rule of waiting and cooking for people = how to properly prepare and space out the hors d'oeuvres vs main course orders. Yet, every place I eat at screws this up over and over.

Yea, I know this is a "1st world problem", but this is the food forum, so tell us what little annoyances seem to happen to you every time you eat out...
I've pretty much only seen this at the big huge chain type restaurants. They rely on a certain table 'turnover' which I find just annoying as hell, trying to eek out ever dollar they can.

I don't think I've seen much of this "rush rush" stuff at a smaller mom and pop places.

There seems to be two things that the French have mastered.

1 Surrendering in war...
2 The nice dining experience.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 AM

52,237 posts, read 52,655,546 times
One thing that seems to always happen to us is that we get placed right next to a "talker" I mean the type that just won't shut the f up, you never even hardly hear a peep out of the other person at the table next to you. I don't like to listen to someone drone on incessantly, of course nice convo is part of the dining experience, but I'm just talking about yappers....

The annoying screaming kids... yeah that one too, we try to go to less "kid friendly" places, that seems to help somewhat.

The gigantic portion sizes as someone else mentioned. I like a value for my money, but sometimes it's just too much and for me.. it's hard to resist if it is really good...

Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The biggest annoyances to me are when the food is too salty, which it almost always is, and when the portions are ginormous. It's completely unappetizing to have a colossal plate of food, enough for two or three people, set down in front of you. Blech.

America has spoken. Most want huge helpings - like they have at home - for little or nothing. America isn't the world's fattest nation for not trying.
I am sure everyone has been to a 'Waddle In" all you can eat buffet - this is where people can go back for seconds, thirds and as many courses they want of absolutely anything. They are disgusting places to people watch. The folks waddle in to gorge themselves on pure junk and waddle back on out to go home and kick back to watch TV while shoveling down more food.
If you feel you have received too much food on your plate ask for a to go container when done eating. I have a dog who loves whatever I bring home.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I like soul food. Often I am the only Caucasian in the restaurant. And I am ALWAYS assigned a small two top table that is adjacent to the restrooms whenever I eat at this one place. I hate dealing with the wobbly table and the restroom smells when I eat at the place.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
One thing that seems to always happen to us is that we get placed right next to a "talker" I mean the type that just won't shut the f up, you never even hardly hear a peep out of the other person at the table next to you. I don't like to listen to someone drone on incessantly, of course nice convo is part of the dining experience, but I'm just talking about yappers.......
We have the opposite problem. Seems we are always closely seated next next to the bored married couple that sits in 100% complete silence through their entire meal. I get that creepy feeling that they are listening to every word we say. It's especially bad every time I go out with two family members who love tho talk about personal finance over drinks and dinner. There is always that creeping couple sitting right next to us hanging on every word.

sent from my android via tapatalk

Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Huge amounts of food. Really, stop. I got a burrito yesterday, chock full of rice, y frijoles y salsa... Sour cream, avocado... I admit, I ate it all. I could barely move after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink