Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:45 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
noise.
Yeah really crowded/noisy places for me.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
Servers that do not write their orders down and then wind up serving me wrong food. Write down the order! I promise, I won't think less of you. I don't make complicated substitutions to my food, usually just something like "dressing on the side" or "hold the mustard"...and I can't tell you how many times the server doesn't write the order down and then I wind up with dressing soaking my salad or mustard all over my burger. Yes, sometimes it's the kitchen's fault, not the server's, but I know who I'm more likely to blame when my order wasn't written down in the first place.

Actually, good story about this from last week. I was out to lunch with some friends, and the server didn't write down any of our orders. I ordered one of their meal-sized salads, completely as-is with no substitutions. When I received my salad, it wasn't right. They brought me one of their other meal-sized salads that's chock-full of ingredients I do not like and do not eat. I pointed this out to the server, and she said "Oh, you wanted the Greek salad, that's right! I thought you wanted the Black and Bleu salad!" Which doesn't even sound similar, but whatever...write it down!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,524 times
A very long wait for service does really bother me.
Otherwise, I'm very laid back. I never order anything that does not have a price marked. Also hate getting fries and having to ask for katchup.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I went to a semi-high end seafood joint recently for lunch. I'm sitting there, trying to enjoy some very nice and expensive oysters, and the couple behind me decides that was a great time to have a phone consultation with their doctor ON SPEAKERPHONE! I mean, seriously people, I do not want to hear the gross details of your medical woes when I am eating out. The consultation went on for a good 20 minutes. If you must have some loud cell phone conversation please go outside and leave the rest of us in peace.
A situaion where the manager should have clealy intervened. Some people just have no class whatsoever.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
My biggest peeve is waiting for the check/waiting for them to get back to the table w/ the change or your card. We drank drinks, then ate, then had another drink, and then waited for a long time for our check. Finally managed to flag down our waiter, he took our credit card and disappeared for 20 more minutes. Apparently he went on break before returning with our card. So we had to ask another waiter who FINALLY tracked him down. Needless to say he got the world's smallest tip.

My second peeve is getting something other than what I ordered. If you send it back, then you are waiting while everyone else eats, and then you are eating while they wait for you to finish. Not fun. I order clearly, and I make it as simple as possible, but ordering fish tacos and getting chicken, or ordering something without mayo and getting it with mayo is just so annoying. I once had to send something back TWICE. I ordered chicken sandwich, no mayo. I got it...covered in mayo, sent it back, it arrived next time with no mayo, but it was a fish sandwich, not chicken! WTF!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Number three is waitresses who get too chummy. I have had them sit down at our table and take our order, or just chat. If I wanted her company I would have invited her out for dinner.
My wife and I are regulars at this one place and the servers are chatty and chummy with us. We have been seated in their sections for years and they are some of the best. This, I personally don't mind, but on the flip side, many people can be put off by this and I understand.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
My wife and I are regulars at this one place and the servers are chatty and chummy with us. We have been seated in their sections for years and they are some of the best. This, I personally don't mind, but on the flip side, many people can be put off by this and I understand.
If this is for years like you said or in my case, a couple of years, this doesn't bother me when they are chatty/warm. But it's a bit offputting when you are there for the first time. Now with that caveat, I wouldn't be annoyed if a restaurant is known for this. Such as Hooters. (yes I love their wings!) They are known to sit with you and be chummy. I do not get annoyed and expect it. I actually seat my kids before me as they love to chat. They even played a game of twister with them. lol

Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
#1 Dirty, sticky tables
Neglectful waitstaff
Cold Food
Incorrectly prepared order
Very little or no value for the dollar

Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I have been a cook in restaurants and had customers actually come back and hand me tips , always a surprise.
When people look at a menu they expect to get what they see on the menu ,not some pale representation . So when I order something that is what I expect .
And either the waitress learns not to deliver the wrong dish, or I have a talk with the cook or manager.
In any other business, say you ask for specific tires for your car ,and something else is put on, there is hell to pay.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,371 times
My top 3:

1. The fact that I have to tip
2. Waitstaff asking me if everything is okay when I am in an ugly position, stuffing half a sandwich into my piehole.
3. Other tables who keep staring at mine (dark skinned lad and red-haired lass)

But #1 is my prime source of annoyance. Some people eat out once a month or two, so they are generous. But the duchamp dude is one of those who eats out every 2 days, almost. It's so annoying. They don't deserve my moolah

I'll get off without tipping, but my girlfriend will kill me. She forces me to leave a hearty tip each time. Damn woman!

"Those waitstaff work so hard!!"

Well, babe, I work hard too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink