Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 04:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times

Advertisements

Awhile back I got this "roaster," a Nesco 6 quart with temperature settings that range from 150'F-400'F. I paid $4 for it at a garage sale.

I do quite a bit of slow cooker cooking, and I just want to make sure I have my numbers right with regards to what temperatures correspond to what slow cooker settings (although I've had no problems doing things the way I've been doing them). I assume "keep warm" will be 150'F, "low" will be 175'F, and "high" will be 200-225'F or so? (I am assuming "vintage" slow cookers which seem to cook at lower temperatures than newer ones.)

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 09:40 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Low on the old-style Crock Pots is more like 185. The higher settings varied by model, but probably around 212 (boiling point of water).

We had a Nesco roaster years ago. I loved it, and would get one again if I could score a find like you did! Also, funny thing, I had a hot stone massage at Miraval resort about ten years ago, and they used a Nesco roaster to keep the stones the right temp.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 PM

136 posts, read 381,633 times
I'm a chef.

Your temps are very close.

A proper holding temp by our county code is 165.

However, when you do cook with it;
use an immersion or meat thermometer.
This way you can see where your settings and temps are at.
Changes in time/temp/liquid can be made accordingly.

If your roaster is not porcelain or ceramic coated,
your food will cook faster.

Your best results will be what unit is intended for:
Slow roasting meat.

I hope you get your monies worth!

Enjoy

Old 10-06-2013, 11:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
My slow cooker cooks 175°F on low and 205°F on high.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 10-06-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm a bit of a unique case I admit, a guy who likes cooking. Heck I'm married, and I do 95% of it (the wife's high moments involve Hamburger Helper, ha ha).

I got this thing last April & it's been great, for one main reason--the dicotomy between the old & new slow cookers, neither having what I want. The old ones, I'm told, cook at lower temperatures, whereas the new ones cook at higher temperatures due, apparently, to the FDA expressing concerns that people could get food poisoning from the lower temperatures. Well I want the "vintage" temperature settings, but the "vintage" pots don't have a "keep warm" setting. The newer ones do, but again, they cook at higher temperatures I'm told. So what I'd been wanting was one that cooked at the lower temperatures of old yet had a proper "keep warm" setting, or just had temperature settings period, which this one does. I spotted it for $4 at a garage sale and about went crazy with excitement, people thought I was silly, ha ha.

It is a metal-based one, in terms of the cooking insert, it's stainless steel or aluminum. I do see 1 or 2 faint spots where it has the tiniest hint of rust on the outer-edges (nothing on the inside). I've looked online & seen that even the cheapest new ones cost about $40, so I got me a steal here. It does what I tell it to do, that's exactly how I want it.

LRH

Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 AM

136 posts, read 381,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

It is a metal-based one, in terms of the cooking insert, it's stainless steel or aluminum. I do see 1 or 2 faint spots where it has the tiniest hint of rust on the outer-edges (nothing on the inside).

LRH
It would be a steel insert seeing as aluminum does not rust.

Take a coarse steel wool to remove the spots of rust.
Lightly coat with oil when you store it to inhibit further rusting.

You should have many years of use.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 33,442 times
I have a Rival 10 quart Roaster I usually cook with crockpots(low,med,high)what temp would be low on this roaster? I'm going to make pulled pork...9lbs with roots beer on low what the temp number be on low? Thank you

Old 06-30-2015, 11:14 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Just out of curiosity, what would you cook in a slow cooker on Medium? I cook all my meats on Low and I start my soups on High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink