Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:46 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,035,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
OK, since I'm a thyme lover, what kinds of foods should it be used with?

Having 40% alcohol in my food is NOT an option. One other reason I crock potted it for hours thinking all the alcohol would burn off.
Congrats on your sobriety. If you feel that anything would interfere with that then by all means, don't do it.

The alcohol will flash off pretty quickly and wine is only about 12% or so, so I wouldn't be concerned about alcohol remaining in anything cooked as long as a stew.

Thyme goes well with any meat, oily fish, mushrooms, onions, tomato, garlic, soft cheeses and citrus. Not so obvious pairings are chocolate and ice cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Congrats on your sobriety. If you feel that anything would interfere with that then by all means, don't do it.

The alcohol will flash off pretty quickly and wine is only about 12% or so, so I wouldn't be concerned about alcohol remaining in anything cooked as long as a stew.
I've worked with people in varying stages of sobriety. While you may think that 5% of 12% alcohol is ok and a small amount, to some recovering from alcohol abuse, any amount of alcohol may be too much. Even the amount in extracts. After all, how much do you use? it doesn't matter. Any amount is too much for some.

And OP, congrats on your 2 years!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 AM

136 posts, read 381,576 times
Congrats on your sobriety.
I've been sober for twenty five years.

I'm a chef and I can tell you with certainty that the alcohol denatures when cooking.
Meaning, the part that gets you drunk cooks out and you're only left with the flavor.

The product Fre is wine that has been denatured.
A little sweet for my taste in cooking
but turned into syrup for desserts...Amazing!
There is however 2% by volume (4 proof) left in it to give to "feel"
of wine on your palate if your the consumer just drinking it.
Near beer is also very good in some Slavic and German recipes.

Your query on where to use thyme...
I use it on any white meat; pork, poultry (all birds), fish
and in moderation. You can always add more if desired.

I make a fresh herb blend I jokingly call Scarburough Fair (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme)!
One part each rosemary and thyme plus two parts each sage and parsley.
It works well with most casserole, soup or stews.
It stores nicely for up to a week if kept wrapped in a lightly moistened
(not soaking wet) paper towel and plastic baggie or Tupperware container.

Remember to add your fresh herbs near the end of your cooking for maximum flavor, color and texture.
Dry spices can be added anytime during your cooking process.

Another alternative to a flour thickener is corn starch, arrowroot or
simply puree' a portion of it and add back to the stew like one would for split pea soup.

Hope this has been helpful... Enjoy!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,228 times
gr8cakes, those are a lot of excellent tips, but I really am just posting to comment that your "Scarborough Fair" herb blend actually made me chuckle out loud this morning...and on a night with only a few hours of sleep, that's quite a feat! Thanks!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,162,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
I don't/cannot drink alcohol. So my dilemma was wanting to have the taste in my stew without having the real thing in my kitchen. I'll probably just let it go.

So the beef bouillon is a good idea, I have the better than bouillon in my fridge, wonder if that's still good.

But thickener? Flour?
I don't drink wine either, but I use it for cooking. I've found that the little drink boxes of wine work great. Just enough for cooking and none goes to waste.

As for thickener, make a roux using flour and butter. Corn flour (masa) also works great.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cakes View Post
Instead of using cooking wine in your stew, use a wine that you would drink
or use V8 or tomato juice.

The dry seasoning mix could also be a culprit or accomplice to the chemical flavor.
Try using beef stock instead water or a soft beef base to add into the water.
Adjust your salt level accordingly as these products can be very salty.

The use of too much fresh thyme can give you a pungent chemical type flavor.
Not normally a herb I'd use with beef.
Try fresh marjoram or chervil.

The last time you cleaned your crock pot,
it could have had a residue from the soap used.

Great point about the residue in your crockpot! That has happened to me in other pots but I never would have thought to mention it,

Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,035,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I've worked with people in varying stages of sobriety. While you may think that 5% of 12% alcohol is ok and a small amount, to some recovering from alcohol abuse, any amount of alcohol may be too much. Even the amount in extracts. After all, how much do you use? it doesn't matter. Any amount is too much for some.

And OP, congrats on your 2 years!
Pretty sure I didn't say that anywhere, in fact just the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie
Congrats on your sobriety. If you feel that anything would interfere with that then by all means, don't do it

Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM

136 posts, read 381,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
gr8cakes, those are a lot of excellent tips, but I really am just posting to comment that your "Scarborough Fair" herb blend actually made me chuckle out loud this morning...and on a night with only a few hours of sleep, that's quite a feat! Thanks!

Your welcome.
I'm happy I could start your day with smile and chuckle!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:22 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cakes View Post
Congrats on your sobriety.
I've been sober for twenty five years.

I'm a chef and I can tell you with certainty that the alcohol denatures when cooking.
Meaning, the part that gets you drunk cooks out and you're only left with the flavor.

The product Fre is wine that has been denatured.
A little sweet for my taste in cooking
but turned into syrup for desserts...Amazing!
There is however 2% by volume (4 proof) left in it to give to "feel"
of wine on your palate if your the consumer just drinking it.
Near beer is also very good in some Slavic and German recipes.

Your query on where to use thyme...
I use it on any white meat; pork, poultry (all birds), fish
and in moderation. You can always add more if desired.

I make a fresh herb blend I jokingly call Scarburough Fair (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme)!
One part each rosemary and thyme plus two parts each sage and parsley.
It works well with most casserole, soup or stews.
It stores nicely for up to a week if kept wrapped in a lightly moistened
(not soaking wet) paper towel and plastic baggie or Tupperware container.

Remember to add your fresh herbs near the end of your cooking for maximum flavor, color and texture.
Dry spices can be added anytime during your cooking process.

Another alternative to a flour thickener is corn starch, arrowroot or
simply puree' a portion of it and add back to the stew like one would for split pea soup.

Hope this has been helpful... Enjoy!

She's saying she is not yet at the stage where she can have a bottle of wine in her home and not be tempted, so how about if we all just accept that she said no real wine?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I agree. You had all the good ingredients to make stew, so you did not need the mix or the cooking wine, which no one should ever buy for any reason.
Live and learn. Next time, trust the natural flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink