U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose up to 3 that you frequent most
Fast food 11 28.95%
Cafes/takeaways/sandwich bars 8 21.05%
Low-medium end restaurants - Asian (Chinese, Indian, Thai, Japanese.etc) 20 52.63%
Low-medium end restaurants - European (Italian, Greek, French, German, Spanish) 15 39.47%
Low-medium end restaurants - American, Mexican.etc 16 42.11%
Expensive restaurants 8 21.05%
Food courts 1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 AM

9,781 posts, read 19,488,397 times

Advertisements

Living where I do, I tend to eat out a lot and eat at a lot of Asian places (especially Vietnamese because there's a large Vietnamese community here with 40-50 Vietnamese places!) but I need variety, so I go to mid-priced Indian, Chinese places, Turkish/Middle Eastern kebab shops, cafes for a foccacia or something, sometimes cheaper takeaway places. Sometimes I need more 'western' style food like a burger or something, or Italian food...always get the craving for a good pizza too. I have fast food once every few weeks. Less than once a month I'll go to a more expensive (to me where main meals are typically above $20) restaurant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 AM

7,831 posts, read 6,832,454 times
All-you-can-eat. We're not much into atmosphere, we just want to EAT. I'm partial to the Pennsylvania Dutch buffets you find in Lancaster County (like Yoder's and Shady Maple). DH favors Chinese all-you-can-eat buffets, which is where we go most often. No waiting for his food, and he can have his second, third, (and fourth) helpings.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 10-08-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM

77,786 posts, read 98,908,399 times
Well, I am sure, your living in another country does make a difference on how you rate a restaurant. I did vote low/med Mexican and American, but even that is hard to judge. To me, many of, what you might call low/med to us is still casual fast food. As for the Asian, like Chinese, some of our upscale restaurants are Asian.

We do not eat out a lot, for many reasons, number 1, I love to cook and number 2, as I have often mentioned, I can fix a much better meal at home for about 1/2 the price, but we do have a couple of places we enjoy. One is Bonefish, which is seafood and the other is: Outback steak house. When we are out shopping or running around, we generally hop into a mid priced place (to me fast food) like Ruby Tues, Chili's or something like that, sometimes using coupons.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:54 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,385,066 times
When I eat out, it is usually for Asian and Mexican foods. I don't eat out that often but Mexican, Italian and Asian are some of my favorites. The next time I eat it out, it will be Thai - it has been a year since I enjoyed that fare.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM

43,961 posts, read 29,759,168 times
Mine is diners, but I checked low-medium American. Some of them are nice and very pretty, though, while others are more blue-collarish, where the waitresses call me "Hon"

Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,048,711 times
I voted for European - Greek and Spanish are some favorites. I also tend to favor Mediterranean food. Asian and Mexican is another favorite but I don't go as often as they seem to be very heavy. Rarely do I crave American food. This is of course when we do go out to eat which isn't that often!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:55 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,983,502 times
With two kids, don't really eat out much, mostly get to go food (not necessarily fast food chains).

Also, paying 80 bucks for a dinner for 2 at a "regular" restaurant, I keep thinking to myself... this wasn't worth it! So I don't really miss eating out at restaurants that much.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:08 PM

77,786 posts, read 98,908,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
With two kids, don't really eat out much, mostly get to go food (not necessarily fast food chains).

Also, paying 80 bucks for a dinner for 2 at a "regular" restaurant, I keep thinking to myself... this wasn't worth it! So I don't really miss eating out at restaurants that much.
we all seem to feel the same about the price and yet, the restaurants always seem busy. I wonder who is eating out that much?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,587,462 times
I love to cook and love to cook from different countries so we rarely do go out. When we do it is because THEY cook a ethnic meal better then I can and I want to figure it out.

Also we will only go to a expensive restrurants if it is a self made Chef that is starting out and basically cooks most of the meals himself or at least oversees it.

Since I am something of a foodie because my love of cooking, I follow a lot of the trade in my area and jump at the chance of a new promising chef.

That being said we may be go out to eat about four to five times a year so the splurge is something we do as a treat or on my rare days off from being the family cook.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 PM

303 posts, read 509,118 times
When we go out, which isn't often because I looooove cooking at home, it's usually for Asian food. My SO is Korean so we gravitate to Japanese and Chinese cooking. It's naturally light and flavorful, we can't get enough sushi. I like mine cooked but he gets raw rolls. I'm learning to make it at home but boy it's harder than it looks.

If we do really upscale, the nicest places around us are farm-to-fork New American cuisine. We're addicted to seafood so anywhere with good fish is on our list. Occasionally we'll go to a great local Latin restaurant too. But, we tend to splurge more on getting great ingredients for me to 'play with' at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink