Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:34 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mad cow disease. I ate a steak and kidney pie in England around 2001. I still wonder to this day if I got a rogue prion running around.

I've read so much about salmonella and eggs. I've had food poisoning before. It was bad. I got it from some iced sweet tea I set out to cool. Over night. Woops. I drank a glass the next day. I spent the next 2 days in the john. I must've gone every 1/2 hour. It was hell on earth. I've read about Salmonella. I've eaten a lot of soft yolks and chicken that might've needed to be grilled another 15 minutes.... never got sick from it. Sunny side up eggs are my fave.

My mom, to this day, thinks nothing of cooking chicken or stew or beef or... anything.... and leaving it out for hours. She defrosts chicken by taking it out of the freezer and leaving it in the sink for 8-10 hours.
I can't recall the last time I got sick from her food.
the japanese eat chicken raw, i think a lot of this is just in your head. if the meat is slimmy, get it out. old meat should never be consumed. I guess this brings me to my worry about food, you never know what type of food they are cooking you in the back of a restaurant. the infamous jack in the box incident strikes a note, 3 kids dead 400 infected in 1993. All those steriod ridden cows and chicken people regularly consume from the regular grocery stores. It's crazy how I have to pay a premium for them not to put chemicals in my meat, but I'll continue to eat organic.

Last edited by MJ7; 10-09-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
the japanese eat chicken raw, i think a lot of this is just in your head...
The Japanese don't process chickens that are to be served raw in the same industrial fashion that we do - their raw chicken products are not prone to Salmonella contamination.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:21 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The Japanese don't process chickens that are to be served raw in the same industrial fashion that we do - their raw chicken products are not prone to Salmonella contamination.
great point but we could always purchase organic

Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
What I'm going to have with the pork chops tonight.

I don't worry much about something I do (eating) a bare minimum of three times a day. The chances of getting food poisoning per items eaten every day in a normal life are infinitesimally tiny in the first world.
I mostly eat responsibly and have a robust immune system.

I'd probably have more to worry about if I ate a lot of junk and processed food but I try not to do that (much.)

Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
what a depressing thread,,,, of course we all worry or "what ifs"

ok i'll play,

i worry, that we all worry too damn much about food,, i worry that the latest study and sensationalized b.s. sends people in a panic

food is one of the few true enjoyments in life-enjoy it-

Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
I worry if I'll be able to eat up all the fresh produce I buy every week at the farmer's market.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
I don't worry about food poisoning since I cook practically everything I eat. I do leave my yolks runny, but only about 1 in 30,000 eggs is infected with salmonella, and even then, it has to be enough to overcome your immune system to make you sick.

My biggest worry is about things happening to my food plants. Getting diseased, invaded by pests, struck by lightning, deers eating them, etc.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 PM

709 posts, read 955,026 times
I don't understand the concept of worrying. What does worrying accomplish? Giving you high blood pressure? If you can do something about what you are worried about, then do it. If you can't do anything about it, take it as it comes.
With the pork chops, I suggest buttered noodles, green beans and homemade applesauce.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:29 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I don't understand the concept of worrying. What does worrying accomplish? Giving you high blood pressure? If you can do something about what you are worried about, then do it. If you can't do anything about it, take it as it comes.
Yeah that's pretty much how I look at it. There's no point in worrying about things outside of your control. People spend all this time and energy worry about so many things that never even come to fruition.

Reminds me of the quote "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened"

Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Nothing, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink