Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Kroger cites risks, ends sales of bean and alfalfa sprouts - Toledo Blade

Man, I love bean sprouts, too. I always ate mine in ramen, after they'd been boiled with the soup for a few minutes. Imagine....dying from eating bean sprouts. In this modern era. Seems impossible. Not for 50+ people, it wasn't.

2011 Germany E. coli O104:H4 outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
You can pretty-much assume tha e. coli is present on MANY foods -- melon rinds, almost all meat, sprouts and leafy vegetables.

It is also present in your milk. U.S. milk is one of the most disgusting foods ever. It is absolutely contaminated with fecal matter, because it is cheaper to let the cows live in squallor and then treat the milk than to run a clean establishment. That's just how it is. Google it. (There are a handful of small producers who make milk that won't literally churn your stomach. Please be a smart consumer and research which ones.)

The reason this happens over and over and over is that the USDA, FDA and EPA bend to the wishes of the lobbyists on K-Street. The big agribusiness has Food Libel Laws protecting them from pesky reporters. And the populace is ignorant and easily distracted.

That's just how it is.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
There's other stuff besides fecal matter in that milk. I won't discuss what that it is. Look it up, if you want. Prepare to be disgusted. Then again, most adults don't wash their hands more than a few seconds, and it takes a solid 15 seconds to clean your hands. THen again once milk has been processed and the germs are killed, meh. They grow store mushrooms in manure.

http://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/PDF/C...e_Brochure.pdf

That's not just something I made up. That's straight from scientists and doctors.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
One of the jobs I turned down in my microbiologist days was screening for dangerous E. coli strains. Not all E. coli strains are dangerous. In fact, most of them are beneficial. The really bad E. coli is O157:H7; It produces a toxin that destroys red blood cells. Although not all E. coli strains are dangerous they do have one thing in common - they come from the intestines of animals.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 06-24-2013 at 11:59 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
You want to know why salads are cooked in China, and the only raw food people eat are fruits that can be peeled? This is why.

Unfortunately the same damp, warm conditions that allows seeds and beans to turn into edible sprouts quickly is also perfect for the growth of disease causing organisms. And that's why so many people have been sickened and even died from eating commercially prepared raw sprouts.

Personally I like the convenience of store-bought sprouts for cooking purposes, but for salads and juices I grow my own at home, using an inexpensive sprouter and tested seeds from a reliable source.

This is what I've used for years, an Easy-Sprout from Sproutamo. Most health food stores carry them, or you can order them online for about $12-13.

Sproutamo

Amazon.com: Sproutamo - Easy Sprout Sprouter: Home & Kitchen

Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
to be honest I haven't seen bean sprouts in the produce dept. for years and it really doesn't bother me. I am guessing not selling them might have more than one reason; how many people would buy them regularly if they were sold? I have a gut feeling, not many. They don't sell them at our Asian restaurant either.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
We just did a Hand washing test at work with some type of powder and a black light.
95% failed and this was after a 45 second hand wash including myself..

Scary and I was shocked after the scrubbing there was still powder on my hands..

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
OMG I never want to shop again...

Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
I was wondering. I tried to buy bean sprouts at Kroger yesterday, and I was told that they didn't carry them

Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
OMG I never want to shop again...
Srsly, Walmart for produce?

I buy my bean sprouts at the Japanese market, and they have the sani-pac sacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink