Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 AM

12 posts, read 456,431 times

Advertisements

I don't know why and have no good reason for having it but i do have a peeve when it comes to organic products. My sister told me she saw organic water. How the hell can water be organic?

Does anyone else share my peeve?

I'm not hating on anyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
What exactly is your 'peeve' with organic products? Meaning, why is it that you do not like them?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:20 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
I'm curious too. Is it the products, or do you just get tired of the buzzword?

As long as things are certified organic, I'm all for it. Like anything else, though, many 'organic' products are hardly organic. It's been co-opted by the marketing folks.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,045 times
Organic water???? That is a new one:-)

Old 11-20-2007, 02:09 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,941 times
"Organic" water? What's water from the tap, inorganic?

It is purely over-the-top marketing excess. People who fall for this sort of nonsense are also easily convinced that lettuce labeled "natural" is better than that which is not.

It makes sense where there are clear cut standards involved. Rules for calling fruits and vegetables organic means not using things like oil based fertilizers and insecticides in their produciton. That is a fair choice to allow people to make.

Other terms, like "natural" have no government standards and can be used even on unnatural products without breaking the law.

You have to be a lawyer to be able to shop wisely in today's supermarkets.

That product that says "sugar free" has plenty of carbohydrates and fat to make up for the lack of sugar, and the "fat free" item has plenty of other bad stuff to repllace the fat, usually high fructose corn syrup. All the makers do is pull out one ingredient and put in another bad one to make up for it.

That's what happens when the Corporations make the rules for the USDA which enforces labelling. You get truth in labelling, as defined by the food industry.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'm curious too. Is it the products, or do you just get tired of the buzzword?

As long as things are certified organic, I'm all for it. Like anything else, though, many 'organic' products are hardly organic. It's been co-opted by the marketing folks.
Yeah it is mostly the "buzzword". I just kinda annoys me how much its thrown around and I don't really see why its so important. Whats wrong with regular food?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 PM

And I'm not sure but isn't organic food more expensive?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo8032d View Post
Yeah it is mostly the "buzzword". I just kinda annoys me how much its thrown around and I don't really see why its so important. Whats wrong with regular food?
I can understand the buzzword being annoying. I find it annoying too, but there advantages to certain organic things, mostly due to what goes into the the production, and more importantly what does not (hormones, pesticides, etc). I cannot afford to eat organic all the time, nor am I entirely sure it is necessary. However, I stand by organic eggs and meat when I can get them (simply because of how it is produced versus conventional). When it comes to meat, I can taste the difference, and I like my food to taste as good as I can get it. I can also taste the difference with some produce such as tomatoes (they might not looks as nice, but have more flavor) . So, while I understand the cynicism in marketing, lets not through the baby out with the bathwater, what isn't wrong about wanting to drink milk less likely to contain pesticides, hormones, and antibiotic residues, there is no reason I need to be drinking cow hormones or cow antibiotics. Ugh.

I can honestly say I never heard of organic water, I just drink what comes out of the tap.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:25 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,773 times
Never heard of organic water but I'm finishing up inventing a new break through product.
Dehydrated water : )

Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo8032d View Post
As j33 said, 'regular food' is often loaded with pesticides, antibiotics, and other stuff that isn't very good for us. The organic stuff is better, generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink