Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

My new best friend is the package of matchstick carrots. I keep them in the freezer and use these things for everything. They're especially time-saving in the winter when I make a lot of soups, stews, and rice dishes. Instead of peeling a couple of carrots, I simply run a knife through a handful of these, and it couldn't be easier.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I make no-roll piecrust, made with a fork in the pie plate -- rolling it out is far too much of a hassle.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
My new best friend is the package of matchstick carrots. I keep them in the freezer and use these things for everything. They're especially time-saving in the winter when I make a lot of soups, stews, and rice dishes. Instead of peeling a couple of carrots, I simply run a knife through a handful of these, and it couldn't be easier.

How about you?
Question: Do you mean fresh matchstick carrots, then you just put the bag in the freezer? I've never thought of doing that, and we end up throwing away carrots as they are not one of our favorites.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Shelling raw shrimp - twist-off the fan just below the last bit of meat in the tail. Now the shell will easily slide off the shrimp.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Question: Do you mean fresh matchstick carrots, then you just put the bag in the freezer? I've never thought of doing that, and we end up throwing away carrots as they are not one of our favorites.
Yes, they're fresh in bags, and also come in the already crinkle cut variety. Whenever I need a carrot or two, I simply grab a handful and, as I mentioned, run a knife through them. Like you, I got tired of the waste.

I simply put them (in the bag they come in) in a ziplock bag. If you notice they've clumped together, simply smash the ziplocked bag on the counter before grabbing what you need. Often, they have ice crystals, but that doesn't even matter as they're going to be sauteed, anyway.

I do the same thing with onions. The fewer of those I have to peel and chop, the better!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:34 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Pour milk or cream directly into the coffee pot while it is still turned on and being kept hot.

It prevents having to open the fridge and add it to each cup, and your coffee stays warmer since you aren't adding cold liquid to each cup.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:41 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Once I found this at the grocery store, it made soups a lot easier. If I don't have the fresh veges on hand, I can just reach in the freezer and use a package of this to make pasta fagioli soup.

Cooking ground beef, bacon & sausage and freezing in small containers for future use.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
I buy lettuce, and my other salad fixing ingredients, e.g. broccoli and cauliflower, in the bags. It's already washed and cut up. Makes my weekly salad prep soooooo much quicker!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
With just the two of us at home now, I cook enough to have leftovers - often enough to yield 3 meals.

Example: I might make a tuna casserole on Monday, and make a different side dish to have with it again on Wednesday and Friday, and on Tuesday I might roast a pork tenderloin with apples, and change the vegetable to have it again on Thursday. So instead of cooking a full blown meal every night, it's just a side dish of vegetables or salad.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:35 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Shelling raw shrimp - twist-off the fan just below the last bit of meat in the tail. Now the shell will easily slide off the shrimp.

Thanks for the tip!

I will use it in the future - have some raw shrimp in the freezer that I'll be preparing sometime this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink