Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How difficult would it be to give up meat for life?
I cannot live without meat so life as I know it would be over. 31 23.85%
It would be a struggle, but i could manage. 53 40.77%
Meh. Take it or leave it. 28 21.54%
I don't eat meat now, so no sweat. 18 13.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,069,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
The "meatless day" thread got me wondering. I was surprised by how many respondents considered meat pretty much essential on a daily basis.

Unfortunately meat and potato (FrenchFries) are a major part of the American diet , the idea of eating vegetables is repulsive to many.
As for those who do eat meat be aware that at some point in that meats processing it went from being a live animal to a dead animal chopped to bits.
There are many Utube videos depicting life in the slaughter house,just incase one wanted to see where that burger meat went from being alive to being ground up animal on a bun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:16 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,105,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Unfortunately meat and potato (FrenchFries) are a major part of the American diet , the idea of eating vegetables is repulsive to many.
As for those who do eat meat be aware that at some point in that meats processing it went from being a live animal to a dead animal chopped to bits.
There are many Utube videos depicting life in the slaughter house,just incase one wanted to see where that burger meat went from being alive to being ground up animal on a bun.
True...but it is possible to buy only ethically kept and humanely butchered meat. Hunted wild deer, pasture-raised cattle and pigs, free range poultry and so on. Costs a little more, but I know of a couple of butchers around here who sell meat from local farms where the animals are raised in decent conditions. Better-tasting meat, too.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,850,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I'll be sure and let my Physician who knows me and my disease that YOU, the armchair internet doctor has said I do NOT need meat for the protein.

Shall I have him contact you so you can tell him yourself?
You were responding above not to me, but to another poster. However, that poster was correct in terms of the general statement about diet and protein. There is no reason to get so upset just because the general statement may not apply to people with unusual medical conditions. You could have simply pointed out in your case, because of your medical condition, your doctor has recommended meat as the best source of protein.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:42 AM

571 posts, read 1,196,842 times
I was a vegetarian for five years prior to meeting my husband. I love vegetables and am very creative with all types of dishes (eggplant parm, squash casseroles, some unique, meatless South American recipes). I've gone a week without serving meat at home (I have four kids) and no one noticed or pointed anything out.

I probably wouldn't go back to being a vegetarian, nor would I have my kids become vegetarians but we don't eat a lot of meat.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
Easy for me but I would miss it. But not beef, I would miss chicken or pork.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 AM

126,169 posts, read 18,907,623 times
We gave up cold cuts long time ago and I only cook meat like ground meat,steaks,veal,lamb for the kids and friends. Sometimes we eat poultry and fish.DH and I eat mostly legumes and vegetable dishes.When we have company DH caves in and joins eating a meat meal,while I really dislike meat now It's more my mind that keeps thinking and imagining how it came to our table and that thought turns me literally off!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,283,779 times
Personally, for myself and my family I would not consider giving up meat, poultry, or seafood. I enjoy cooking for my family and I would have to say that we eat a varied diet rich in a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, legumes, and dairy products as well...and I think generalizing extensively about the American diet of fast food is just that, generalizing. Unfortunately sometimes even a good thing can be abused and overutilized for a variety of reasons and I am sure that the 'American diet' of fast food has spread to other areas of the world as well.

Fast food is referred to as such because sometimes there is an occasional need for fast food but it may or may not be such a bad thing depending on its frequency of use. Undoubtedly the U.S. is referred to as the Fast Food Nation but fast food has a long and rich history which can be traced back to antiquity and I suppose like everything Americans attempt (and succeed at) is reflected in a grandiose manner.

The United States has the largest fast food industry in the world, and American fast food restaurants are located in over 100 countries. Approximately 4.1 million U.S. workers are employed in the areas of food preparation and food servicing including fast food in the USA.

The concept of ready-cooked food for sale is closely connected with urban development. In Ancient Rome, cities had street stands that sold bread, sausages and wine.

Fast food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, it kind of does if you can't/don't eat the other main sources of protein. According to this: Top 10 Foods Highest in Protein - excluding meats, there's fish, tofu, beans, eggs, diary, and nuts/seeds. I hate tofu, beans, eggs, and nuts/seeds and I'm lactose intolerant so really, the only protein alternative from meat for me is fish. Sure, if I HAD to eat the stuff I don't like to survive, I could, which is why I voted for "It would be a struggle, but I could manage". But frankly, if I were in a survival situation, I'd probably just be glad to get ANY food at all and I'd probably have bigger things to worry about than my protein intake. Human beings can and have survived for centuries without sufficient protein or general nutrition. Until the potato famine, many Irish survived mainly on potatoes. And for most colonists, their main source of protein was cheese. Meat was a luxury throughout many periods of history.

So yes, I agree that in a survival situation, everyone could survive without meat - many might be malnourished but they would likely be lacking other essential foods aside from meat too.
Yet I survive without meat and am not malnourished. Lots of speculation here of what is healthy or not. I do not eat meat and I am healthy but I have to say that many do not know how to eat a healthy vegetarian or vegan diet and their bodies suffer because of their laziness or lack of knowledge about nutrition or both.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
The "meatless day" thread got me wondering. I was surprised by how many respondents considered meat pretty much essential on a daily basis.

Personally, although there are many meats I really enjoy, i am not a daily meat-eater. Maybe a few times a week. If i were to somehow become allergic to meat, it would mildly suck to never eat it again...but it would be basically not a big deal.

Hopefully a poll will be attached if i do this right.
I could give it up for a couple days a week and of course, if it was a life/death situation I would have to give it up, but I can't imagine not having things like, a good steak, good fish or my favorite: ham!!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,193,500 times
Could never do it. Meat is the one food my body craves and requires. I don't crave sugar like most people, I crave protein.

Plus I don't believe in fad diets that eliminate crucial parts of the human diet that we evolved on for millions of years. Its not healthy and sets yourself up for illness and deficiencies.

sent from my android via tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink