Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How difficult would it be to give up meat for life?
I cannot live without meat so life as I know it would be over. 31 23.85%
It would be a struggle, but i could manage. 53 40.77%
Meh. Take it or leave it. 28 21.54%
I don't eat meat now, so no sweat. 18 13.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

The "meatless day" thread got me wondering. I was surprised by how many respondents considered meat pretty much essential on a daily basis.

Personally, although there are many meats I really enjoy, i am not a daily meat-eater. Maybe a few times a week. If i were to somehow become allergic to meat, it would mildly suck to never eat it again...but it would be basically not a big deal.

Hopefully a poll will be attached if i do this right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
i just think you havent enjoyed meat like many others have....its a taste thing. some get it some dont.

veggie heads may come in here with other reasons, but i for one enjoy meat and my body requires it.

meat isnt just for taste or protein either, there are many vitamins/nutrients in meat that everyone forgets, its not as simple as replacing it with other sources of protein, theres more to meat than just protein.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:29 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Pretty much impossible for me. I live in a very cold and harsh climate, proteins and fats from meat supply the fuel to keep you going when the mercury drops below -40.

We have short growing seasons here, vegetables have to be started in greenhouses or in the house and cold tunnels help to lengthen the season long enough to harvest stuff that takes more than 90 days to mature. Although we can raise pretty good potato's.
We have to irrigate as it is a dry country as well. So for folks in my area to go meatless, just about everything would have to be imported from somewhere else.

This being said, it is great grazing country for cattle, sheep and goats, and abundant wildlife. That makes high quality meat available to everyone.
As it is a high energy food, you don't need to eat as much to keep functioning.
We can raise grains like Wheat, oats and Barley dry land, but corn and legumes must be on irrigated soil.
Fruits can be hard to raise here, but apples, wild berries, rhubarb all do well here and can provide the necessary vitamin c.

Because of the long winters where fresh produce isn't available from local sources, you have to can, freeze or dehydrate to have vegetables through the winter, or have a good cellar for root vegetables.

Meat can be obtained fresh year round, both domestic and wild, so it is the truly viable resource in my country.

I think this way because I produce much of what my family and I eat. If I was just resigned to buying that plastic tasting stuff from wally world, it wouldn't make any difference if I was only grazing or eating meat mixed into a balanced diet, but when you collect wild edibles, raise your garden and livestock including chickens, turkeys and rabbits, hunt and fish, the processed stuff doesn't have any life in it anymore for you.
You can get fat on it, but performing labor intensive work, you fall short. Home grown/produced means you have to eat a lot less to get the energy, without any additives.
You can hardly compare the products.

Has nothing to do with being a vegetarian or the philosophy behind it, just the way it has always been here. Even the local Indians had to live primarily on meat to survive in this climate.

In my case, why mess with what works?

Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Very difficult. Probably curtains for me.

Some years ago I decided to become a vegetarian. I have graduate level coursework in nutrition so I know how to supplement with other protein sources. Let me also state that I battle anemia off and on in my life.

I almost passed out in a store one night. It was scary because I had my daughter and nephew with me and I was driving. I do not think my body is built to be without meat. I personally believe the diet listed for Type O blood type (that's my type). I need animal protein in some form.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
For me, not hard at all.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I have to have protein through meat, so it would be very hard for me.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:07 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I have to have the protein, so no meat would not work too well for me. Besides that I like meat and would really miss it.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:59 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
No offense but you don't need meat to get sufficient protein. Have your meat and enjoy but the protein defense just doesn't hold water.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I could not do it because of my health, meat is the best protein for me to consume with the auto immune disease I have.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
If you HAD to, how difficult would it be to give up meat for the rest of your life?
Same question could be asked about giving up vegetables. I wouldn't give up veggies without a fight! Same goes for meat 10X! I don't need any excuses either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink