Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 11:07 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

I like fruitier-tasting olive oils, so yes, I can tell the difference. I prefer an organic olive oil from Trader Joe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Years ago, when I lived in NYC, I fell into a little shop near Lincoln Center named Olivier & Co, and what they sold, mostly, was olive oil... more kinds than I ever knew existed... and they had lots of different kinds out for tasting. By the time I went to work in Boston there was a shop there too, but I think by now they were just called O&Co. Over a period of time, with many various tastes and expert guidance, I learned to appreciate the HUGE differences between different types of OOs from different regions. There are mild ones, and strong ones, and fruity ones and grassy ones and deep olive ones and emerald green ones and bright yellow ones and nearly water white ones from Greece and Italy and Spain and France... and today even from California and from Texas, and from who knows where all?

Among other things I learned that there is no such thing as the perfect OO for all purposes. Cooking something spicy with strong flavors calls for a different oil than the oil you put out in a dish for guests to dip their bread in. And the sturdy oil you wanted for frying fish was quite different from the delicate EVOO you'd use to dress a light salad.

Today is a different era. It's a poor supermarket that doesn't offer up at least a different kinds of OO, and choosing the right kind can be as tricky as choosing a good wine. I haven't been near an O&Co store in years, and somehow their web presence seems to have shrunk, and to my sadness, they no longer sell their celebrated "gondola" carriers for oil and vinegar that I used to love to give as gifts to foodie friends, but my hat is off to them for introducing me to such a rich palette of taste pleasures.

My tips for enjoying OOs...

1) Try many kinds. Be adventurous. Finding only one and using it for everything is like picking out just one color of crayon and ignoring the rest of the box.

2) Buy smaller bottles, but better quality, and more of them, rather than big jugs of ho-hum. Olive oil is more perishable than most other culinary oils, so it needs to be used up more quickly than other culinary oils such as corn and canola and peanut. Walnut oil is the only oil that quickly comes to mind that is more perishable.

3) When using OO for its healthy properties in dishes that do not traditionally call for it, select milder tasting styles that will not detract from or dominate the dish's normal flavor profile. And do select less expensive oils that allow you to use them often, rather than only pricey oils you're afraid to use. For traditional Mediterranean dishes for which you want to bring the olive taste forward, use the stronger tasting oils. And a personal tip, if you use a budget priced oil for your main cooking, even a little top dressing with a top tier OO can elevate the dish, the salad, everything.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:29 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Aurora Cold Extraction Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the one I've been using lately. Nice taste and reasonably priced.
I've also discovered Westfalia Avocado Oil from South Africa that is absolutely delightful.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
There was an olive oil store where I used to live. I went to taste them and they honestly all tasted the same to me....like grass. You know, when you were a kid and would pull up blades of grass and chew on the end? Like that.
I just buy a big jug of extra virgin from Sam's Club for $10-$14.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
I will jump on the "there is a difference" bandwagon. I've tried some with bread...and hated them (usually the cheaper 'cooking-grade' olive oil). Then I've had some where I couldn't stop dipping and eating.

I will also echo the "there is no one perfect multi-purpose oil" sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink