Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
KerryGold is probably my favorite butter; and they are now selling it at Super Target cheaper than anywhere else I have found. I also love Plugra, which is cheapest at Walmart. I just love good butter. For a declicious and healthy butter sauce, try melting butter with virgin coconut oil - OMG that stuff is to die for! I put it on any kind of seafood. Great on popcorn, too!
Great! (Abouth Target carrying the Kerrygold) I have to go to Target to get my Tazo Chai Tea in bags, so I'll look for the Kerrygold also next time I'm there.

I'm going to look for coconut oil today at Wal-Mart, but I'm not very hopeful....ours is a small one, in a small town. I'm going to give it a try, if I can find some. I'm still thinking it might have too strong of a taste to mix with butter for a spread for toast, pancakes, etc. Anyone else have anything to say about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Thanks for this...I just read something a couple of days ago about canola not being as good for you as once thought, but didn't have time to explore it further.

He recommends coconut oil, but wouldn't that be harder to find and more expensive? (and it seems like it would have a too-strong taste) And peanut oil was not mentioned...I guess it would be considered a vegetable oil (and he said to avoid all vegetable oils)? It's what ATK recommends for frying.
There was a time when coconut was not recommended. Now it is. What does that tell you?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Please keep the topic on the article of butter being back. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:32 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Well, this has to do with butter being back....if I want to continue to make my own butter spread and canola is not good to use, then what would I use? Any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:09 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
When shopping for groceries at Walmart, I can't understand why Land O Lakes butter is priced so much higher than other brands.

I sure can't tell the difference.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:32 AM

643 posts, read 917,867 times
Grass fed Butter is the best!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:05 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, exactly. Me too. NYT only allows 10 free reads a month now, so I want to be clear before I open an NYT link that it is worth doing so, compared to everything else that's out there. Show me a taste of the article if you want me to read it!
If you're using Firefox or Chrome just turn on private browsing and you can read as many articles as you want.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 04-01-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 07:22 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I can find Tenderflake Lard in any supermarket.
I don't think we get that brand in the US. I even live 30 minutes from Canada and I haven't seen it here. At nearly every regular grocery store there's unrefrigerated Armour hydrogenated lard in the Hispanic section and that's it. If you want non-hydrogenated lard you usually have to go to a Mexican grocery store or small independent butcher.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:49 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
If you're using Firefox or Chrome just turn on private browsing and you can read as many articles as you want.
Something else that works: Google the general topic and you'll almost always find the same information in some other publication.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:26 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Seems like every one in America wants to hate on the French but they gave rise to our nation through the Revolution!

It's funny how the French don't die from sipping wine and eating "butter" or "pate'!
The French love their rich food....butter, sauces with cream, rich pastries, patés, etc., BUT....everything in small portions. You will never see them "supersizing" their food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink