Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

One year at Thanksgiving, my neighbor said her self basting turkey spit out juice all over her oven and caught her oven on fire. I thought that was weird.

Along comes Christmas in our house and sure enough, mine did the same. (I only covered the legs and wings with tinfoil until the bird is almost done) I happened to look in at a bright light in my oven and even the walls were burning. There was smoke everywhere and a huge mess in my oven. I had to take the turkey out, open the windows, let the oven cool off and wipe down the whole inside of the oven. The bottom was a lovely black goo that I scooped out with a spatula. Needless to say, I kept the turkey covered for the rest of the cooking time. I think someone on the assembly line at the turkey factory decided they were being cheap on the selft basting oils that are injected, and upped the recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Here is another one that happened my Brother thought it would be funny to tease my mother and he purposely put a cornish game hen inside her turkey when she was not looking and she popped it in the oven . well when it was brought to the table my uncle started to carve it and said "Well I will be damned looks like this turkey was pregnant when they butchered it " he pulled out the cornish game hen and sure enough my mother started crying and became very upset . My mother was going to call butterball and tell them that she did not appreciate having a turkey at her table that had been butchered while pregnant . well it took us that whole day and most of the night to convince her it had been a joke that my brother had pulled . But the rest of us had quite a good laugh about it .

Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Ohmigosh, the Cornish Game hen! I think that has to be more disgusting than funny but I can see that it would amuse a guy. I think the imagery would have ruined that meal for me!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Here is another one that happened my Brother thought it would be funny to tease my mother and he purposely put a cornish game hen inside her turkey when she was not looking and she popped it in the oven . well when it was brought to the table my uncle started to carve it and said "Well I will be damned looks like this turkey was pregnant when they butchered it " he pulled out the cornish game hen and sure enough my mother started crying and became very upset . My mother was going to call butterball and tell them that she did not appreciate having a turkey at her table that had been butchered while pregnant . well it took us that whole day and most of the night to convince her it had been a joke that my brother had pulled . But the rest of us had quite a good laugh about it .
wow, quite a story! I don't think I could eat the turkey after that, I'm unneccesarily squeamish. I think I'd be pretty upset if my brother pulled that one on me! (and I could see him doing that too!) LOL

Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I don't think I could eat the turkey after that, either. But not because of the imagery. I'd be more worried that he cornish game hen hadn't been fully cooked and infected the turkey with salmonella. (and, if you've read my pp, you know I rarely worry about food borne disease)

Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Ohmigosh, the Cornish Game hen! I think that has to be more disgusting than funny but I can see that it would amuse a guy. I think the imagery would have ruined that meal for me!
What imagery? Turkeys lay eggs.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Just so everyone knows we did not eat that turkey mother threw it in the trash and she never bought another butterball turkey either for that matter . Yes my brother would have eaten it but instead we went to a restaraunt in town but my mother did not eat much . She was still upset and yes I did bring it up that turkeys lay eggs and my brother corrected me and said my mother probably would not have known that .

Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Your poor Mother - especially if she would not have known that turkeys lay eggs.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The way cats think...

"Why is this delicious turkey on the table, and everyone is still in the kitchen? They must not want it, so, I will jump up on the table and help myself.".

Mickey decided that since the turkey was there, and no one else wanted it, he would take a few bites. Fortunately, Grandma never saw the cat on the table helping himself to the turkey. If she had, dinner would have been over! It was a conspiracy of silence to not tell Grandma or Grandpa the cat had taken a few bites of turkey before the family sat down for dinner.
The first time I made Thanksgiving dinner all by myself, 1983, AND my wealthy, a little bit stuffy Aunt Marge was going to be there! I had the pumpkin pies done the eve before, and had them sitting on the counter. Well, the next morning we saw what were definitely cat nose prints in them!! Our pies came to the table with the whipped cream already on them that year!!
Similar story, and we never could figure out how he did it, BUT my sister has an oven with no counter-top next to it. Her pies were sitting on top of the stove, certainly safe, or so you would think. But the next morning there were definite dog mouthfuls missing! How the dog could have gotten up on the stove no one can figure out to this day. And even if he somehow did, how in the world did he perch on top of that very small stove without knocking the pies off of it??? He was a big dog!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:32 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
The first time I made Thanksgiving dinner all by myself, 1983, AND my wealthy, a little bit stuffy Aunt Marge was going to be there! I had the pumpkin pies done the eve before, and had them sitting on the counter. Well, the next morning we saw what were definitely cat nose prints in them!! Our pies came to the table with the whipped cream already on them that year!!
Similar story, and we never could figure out how he did it, BUT my sister has an oven with no counter-top next to it. Her pies were sitting on top of the stove, certainly safe, or so you would think. But the next morning there were definite dog mouthfuls missing! How the dog could have gotten up on the stove no one can figure out to this day. And even if he somehow did, how in the world did he perch on top of that very small stove without knocking the pies off of it??? He was a big dog!
Love it! Whipped cream can hide so many imperfections!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink