Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times

Advertisements

Okay, what's the funniest thing you've seen happen at a holiday food event - including those office food parties.

Here's mine (well, it's the only one rated G).

We had a "Holiday Lunch" where I used to work and everyone was told to bring a side dish or dessert. We were gathered around the room waiting for the company president to make his holiday speech.

Suddenly one of the foreign engineers runs into the room and slides a frozen pie out of its box and places it on the dessert table in front of me.

I see this lily-white pie with glistening crystals of ice all over it and I burst-out laughing. I mean, I'm laughing so hard there are tears running down my face. The president gives me a glare and goes on with his holiday speech and I just start laughing harder. Now everyone is staring at me and no one knows what I'm laughing about.

The president finishes his speech, looks at me with disapproval, and shakes his head. Some co-workers come up to me and ask what I'm laughing about and I just point to the pie (I'm still laughing too hard). The secretary saw what I was pointing to, scoops up the frozen pie, and puts it in the freezer.

Whew - you never know what's going to strike your funny bone or where.

BTW - the secretary did explain to the engineer that the pie had to be thawed and cooked before it could be served.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 11-02-2013 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 12:42 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Thanksgiving 1989, I almost burned the house down.

It was the first Thanksgiving we hosted dinner at our house - previous Thanksgivings we had gone to DH's parents. DH's parents are strict lifelong vegetarians (we had always eaten tofu turkey every year at their home), but since my side of the family was not, and the dinner was hosted at my house, I had to have a REAL turkey with REAL gravy.

I did not have a large roasting pan, so I sent DH out to buy one that Wednesday evening. He brought home a cheap, flimsy disposable alluminum one. I could see it wasn't sturdy enough to hold the 18 pound turkey we were roasting, but I put a large rectangular sheet cake pan on the rack underneath and hoped for the best. Not long after I had it in the oven, I could see it wasn't adequate to hold the juices. The turkey wasn't even close to being done, the thin aluminum was starting to buckle, and the house began to fill with smoke.

I managed to cut the turkey up a bit and finish roasting it in sections, but our eyes were were watering and by the time the guests started to arrive, we had floor fans going and all the windows open. DH's parents (who had probably never been in a house where a turkey was cooking) were there while all this was going on, and was I EMBARASSED because it was me who had insisted on having a real turkey.

The white meat made it to the table in slices and the rest of it was salvageable for Pennsylvana Dutch "turkey pot pie" the next day. I cleaned out the oven and was able to heat the tofu "mock turkey" casserole my mother-in-law had made.

My own mother gave me a gift the following week - a HUGE sturdy metal roasting pan with a lid. I still have it almost 25 years later, and have cooked many a large turkey in it without mishap.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Over forty years ago, we were having Thanksgiving dinner with extended family, including an elderly aunt. The aunt (who regularly drank a bit too much) asked my 20-somthing year old brother why he kept fidgeting. His reply about getting crabs from some girl at college, followed by silence broken only by the clattering sound of my mother's fork hitting her plate, remain one of my favorite Holiday dinner memories.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
oh, that is easy: well we have 2> One, we had a house full of company and the oven went out with a 1/2done turkey in the oven. Amazing how good popeye chicken can taste when there isn't even a store open..The other time, I had gotten my first micro and it claimed you could roast a whole turkey in it: don't try it, please!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Love it, nmnita. Reminds me of another funny Thanksgiving we had at my SIL's home. The bell for the oven timer beeped, and she was surprised that the turkey was done so soon. Nevertheless, she turned the oven off, left the lovely looking turkey to rest, finished off all the side dishes, etc.

We all sat down to eat, and my husband (her brother, and an ex-butcher) started to carve the turkey. As lovely as it looked, it was still VERY undercooked inside. Then we heard the oven timer go off again. And again. And again. It was her damned Parrot, who evidently had learned to imitate the oven timer.

The turkey went back into the oven, to be used for sandwiches the next day. The sides were delicious.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
This happened when I was a small kid. I had a great-aunt who was such a fierce housekeeper she didn't like to let people in the front door. One year she volunteered , to everyone's surprise, to host Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone, especially the kids, were briefed on Aunt Mamie's mania for cleanliness. At the table, my Uncle Ted was carving the turkey when it slipped of the platter and onto the floor! Mamie was out of the room at the moment so he grabbed the turkey, slammed it back onto the platter and calmly resumed carving as she re-entered the room. No one let on and dinner was finished peacefully. Mamie never asked about the grease stain on the carpet. Of course she never invited us back either.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
This happened when I was a small kid. I had a great-aunt who was such a fierce housekeeper she didn't like to let people in the front door. One year she volunteered , to everyone's surprise, to host Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone, especially the kids, were briefed on Aunt Mamie's mania for cleanliness. At the table, my Uncle Ted was carving the turkey when it slipped of the platter and onto the floor! Mamie was out of the room at the moment so he grabbed the turkey, slammed it back onto the platter and calmly resumed carving as she re-entered the room. No one let on and dinner was finished peacefully. Mamie never asked about the grease stain on the carpet. Of course she never invited us back either.

LOL!!!!! That reminds me of a story I once read about Marjorie Merriwether Post (the famous socialite who owned the companies Maxwell House, Post, Birdseye, etc.) Wfhen the turkey she was serivng at a dinner party ended up on the floor in front of the guests, she calmly told the servers, "Return this to the kitchen and bring in the other turkey." It was taken to the kitchen and the same one was brought back. There WAS NO "other turkey", of course!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
These stories are great!
Nothing funny has happened that I recall during any of our parties.
Not to compare with these!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
The way cats think...

"Why is this delicious turkey on the table, and everyone is still in the kitchen? They must not want it, so, I will jump up on the table and help myself.".

Mickey decided that since the turkey was there, and no one else wanted it, he would take a few bites. Fortunately, Grandma never saw the cat on the table helping himself to the turkey. If she had, dinner would have been over! It was a conspiracy of silence to not tell Grandma or Grandpa the cat had taken a few bites of turkey before the family sat down for dinner.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Well would have to be at my house 1983 . I had offered to cook the whole meal and that is what I did . Well my father in law did not like air conditioning said it made him ill . So he opened the back door to let some fresh air in . Well I put a turkey and a ham on the table that year . Well my brother in law opened the front door to get an air flow going through the house . Well the kids kept running in and out and my sil wanted to smoke before dinner so when she stepped out my husky came running past her into the house and no sooner got in than he snatched the turkey right off the table and ran out the back door with it in his mouth and some trailing behind him , then my uncles dog who he brought everywhere with him was in the yard and he dashed in and grabbed the ham ...he was a great dane and he physically got on the table and snatched the ham and was also out the door before anyone could say anything . If I had not seen this with my own two eyes I would not have believed it LOL ....funniest thing that had ever happened and everyone was talking about it at the restaraunt we had to go too ....I was upset for a couple years after that and my F.I.L. never complained about a/c again LOL .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink