U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM

11,491 posts, read 24,392,462 times

Advertisements

Cupcakes for the kids...no utensils needed and they make any event feel like a party.

Chocolate dipped strawberries are my other go-to dessert for a crowd...just melt a bag of chocolate chips, add a generous spoonful of shortening (so the chocolate stays soft enough to bite easily, and also is easier to dip), then dip the berries and let them harden on a silicone pan liner or sheet of wax paper. I put them each in a cupcake wrapper...I buy the cupcake wrappers at the restaurant supply and it's something like $3 for 1000 wrappers. The only issue with the strawberries is that they need to be made no earlier than the day of the event, because the sugar starts to break down the berries and they can get runny.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM

219 posts, read 458,201 times
I vote for Rice Krispies treats and brownies. Set out some bowls of candy - plenty left in local stores at half price, just get the kinds that don't have Halloween-themed wrappers. Done!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:53 PM

17,723 posts, read 23,588,625 times
brownies. Just a bunch of brownies. And I agree that the Trader Joe's mix is excellent, as is the more expensive but decadent Ghiradelli's available at Costco.

And husband needs to either be shot or clean up every single dish or pan required for this project!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM

18,636 posts, read 4,259,347 times
Brownies baked in mini muffin papers - crumble a bit of brown sugar on top and it will look better. Do not over bake! You can get those done during the week.
Lemon cake in regular size muffin pans and paper cups. A drizzle of lemon juice and powdered sugar shortly before serving.
No cutting, no dishes required.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 AM

3,173 posts, read 7,294,353 times
I thin brownies kids and adults would like. Cupcakes too. This is a messy idea but I was thinking of an ice cream sundae bar for kids though adults probably would like some too.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 AM

16,553 posts, read 14,601,018 times
Savory doughnuts filled with chicken and gravy.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 AM

21,567 posts, read 13,009,578 times
apples, bananas, oranges....

Old 11-05-2013, 04:22 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,422,759 times
Brownies are the easiest, but BBQ desert is peach cobbler.

1 cup Original Bisquick mix
1 cup milk 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sugar 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peach, drained

increasing the recipe by 4 would give about 60 servings
  • Heat oven to 375ºF.
  • 2 Stir together Bisquick mix, milk and nutmeg in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches. Stir in butter until blended. Stir together sugar and peaches; spoon over batter.
  • 3 Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until golden.
Two large foil roasting pans would be plenty.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,814,521 times
If you don't want to do just plain pumpkin pie, try this pumpkin pie cake bar recipe....it goes a long way and it tastes like a pumpkin pie but with nuts. It's like a pumpkin pie on the bottom and crunch on the top....much easier than making pumpkin pie. Serve with whipped cream or cool whip.

***Pumpkin pie cake bars***

1 large can (29 ounce or two 15 ounce) pumpkin puree....make into pie as directed on can.
1 yellow cake mix..dry
I cup chopped nuts...I prefer pecans but walnuts work too
1 1/2 sticks margarine

Make pie as directed on pumpkin can. Pour into very lightly greased lasagna pan 10 x 14 or jelly roll pan. Sprinkle dry yellow cake mix evenly over the top of the pie mixture, then sprinkle the nuts over the top of the cake mix. Melt the margarine and spoon over the cake mix and nuts. Be sure to cover the entire top as dry spots will show later (check this after baking for a while and simply drizzle a bit more melted margarine in these spots). Bake for about 60 minutes in 350 F oven. Test with a toothpick. Different ovens vary so it could take more or less time.

I think I would also do brownies as others have said or cookies for the kids. I find that when we go to get-togethers and the kids are there, they always have a cookie or brownie in their hands.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:52 AM

3,169 posts, read 4,759,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Brownies are the easiest, but BBQ desert is peach cobbler.

1 cup Original Bisquick mix
1 cup milk 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sugar 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peach, drained

increasing the recipe by 4 would give about 60 servings
  • Heat oven to 375ºF.
  • 2 Stir together Bisquick mix, milk and nutmeg in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches. Stir in butter until blended. Stir together sugar and peaches; spoon over batter.
  • 3 Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until golden.
Two large foil roasting pans would be plenty.

Peach cobbler is definitely easy and cheap to make and can please a crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink