Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

My aunt used to make the best homemade candy known to humankind. She's in heaven now making chocolate for the angels. (That good. )

A co-worker brought pizzelles (sp?) to the office for everyone each year.

Other than contributing to a potluck, I don't often give food as gifts. And like the legendary fruitcake, some of this stuff is not so grand.

What do you like to give or receive for the holidays?

Or what have you gotten that didn't work for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Homemade cookies.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Yep cookies...I make 3-4 different kinds that I only make during the Christmas season....If I am on the ball, I make up a big plate for friends/neighbors.....I am surprised by how many people don't make homemade Christmas cookies......

Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Dark chocolate covered cherries!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
We generally give specialty foods that we locate on our travels in a given year:

Specialty peanut products from Plains, GA.
Locally produced cheeses from the University of Wisconsin and Mississippi St. college dairies.
Homemade cookies from Kizito's in Louisville, KY
Pecan products from Alabama and New Mexico.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
We generally give specialty foods that we locate on our travels in a given year:

Specialty peanut products from Plains, GA.
Locally produced cheeses from the University of Wisconsin and Mississippi St. college dairies.
Homemade cookies from Kizito's in Louisville, KY
Pecan products from Alabama and New Mexico.
I haven't been able to travel the past few years, but I always loved doing this! (If I can ever go back to work again I can't wait to take some trips).TNKY, your cherries sound delicious! Do you share recipes? (I understand if you don't). Yeah to the home bakers! Macie's Mom, I am also surprised at the people who don't make one little batch of cookies at Christmas. For 30 years I have always made cookies at Christmas. It really wouldn't be Christmas without baking cookies and other treats. I usually make about 1000 cookies, but I will have to cut down this year. I also make Chex Party Mix, toasted pecans, sausage balls and cheese straws. Again, due to unemployment, I may eliminate the sausage balls this year. I am so surprised at my neighborhood. Everywhere else I have ever lived people loved exchanging goodies. One neighbor planned her containers so they would be different each year. In five years I have had exactly two food presents from the neighbors. They don't decorate much, either. In fact, the ones next door don't even have a wreath on the door (and both of them have very good jobs!). My money is awfully short this year, but I am decorated to the hilt with all of my collections over the years. I love Christmas and I love food! Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 12-07-2009 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Every year, I get a BIG box of Belgium chocolate from Brussels

Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Every year, I get a BIG box of Belgium chocolate from Brussels
Every year, at work, our Belgian office sent us a 2# box of Leonides chocolate around Christmas. Wow, that was really super fantastic.

I worked with this guy for a couple of years. His father took a job in Brussels. The guy comes to me one day with a 2# box of chocolates and gave tehm to me as he doesn't eat chocolate ... LEONIDES. What a gift.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I often make Chocolate Truffles and they make great little presents if you make them look pretty.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,040 times
I'm retired now, but when I was teaching, I gave my friends at school cheese ball (my own recipe) with a box of specialty crackers and/or pumpkin cake rolls. I did it for so many years that it just became expected, and my friends always made me feel so good when they told me they were anticipating their food gifts. I have made cookies for the neighbors, but this year I am thinking of fresh fruit baskets for them. I always try to give something because I have the best neighbors...quiet, helpful, and not nosy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink