Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:02 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times

Advertisements

thanks for the suggestions, seems like butcher paper is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
thanks for the suggestions, seems like butcher paper is the way to go.
Correction... use Freezer paper:

Quote:
Freezer Paper is coated (shiny) on one side to prevent air from entering and uncoated (dull) on the other to allow writing, marking or labeling Always place the product you are wrapping on the coated (shiny) side. This coated side keeps the food's moisture from soaking through the paper, thus allowing air to enter and causing freezer burn.

Butcher Paper Is NOT coated and moisture will soak through so this paper is used for temporary wraps. Also, Butcher Paper is great for kids to draw and color on. Simply put it in a paper holder and let them tear off a piece as they need it. Also makes a great tablecloth or banner for family outings, banquets, parties, etc.

When sealing the wrapped package, to keep air out and ensure freshness, secure with freezer or butcher tape; tape will stick easily to the dull or uncoated side.

Allied Kenco Sales - Butcher / Freezer Paper
Good luck!

Old 11-09-2013, 03:24 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
its funny, in my world, butcher paper IS the waxed paper, not the unwaxed paper rolls,

i;ve used miles of waxed butcher paper, wrapped most of the wild game ive cut up, and also, used it on many full-service meat cases- wrapping for the customers

the unwaxed butcher paper rolls, (18 inch) you can buy for around 20-25.00 but you would also want to use some plastic thin sheets (satin packs)
but, you dont want to use plastics

be sure it is waxed , not just "treated"

here is a roll- 18"x1000'

26lbs

SUPLOX18 White 18" Super Loxol Freezer Paper with Long Term Protection of 12 15 | eBay

ive bought these for around 45-50.00 , this doesnt seem too bad-considering shipping is included

or
you can go to your local butcher shop or Iga and ask them how much a roll would be

Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
OP you are going to have to wrap the meat in something even if you use containers to avoid freezer burn. I buy my meat in bulk from my butcher bring it home freeze it on cookie sheets in 1 lb. bundles (hamburger, sausage, bacon) once frozen I wrap in freezer paper. I save about 40-70 cent per lb buying in bulk & depending on what cuts of meat. I then store the packages in my deep freezer in plastic milk crates be sure to write on the outside of the package what is inside along with the date.

I also take my fingers & make a hole in the middle of the meat mound before freezing it thaws quicker when I take it out.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM

80 posts, read 217,998 times
I've given up on plastic baggies too. I use freezer paper and masking tape. I also make sure I write the date I purchased the meat on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink