Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,392,308 times

Advertisements

i dont order pizza too often...

but ive ordered 2 pan pizzas and some lil $3 breadstick bites and that's $20 right there already

then there is tax and a delivery charge

delivery charge in most places i think are around $2.50 (its waived with a shoprunner acct)

then you wanna give the dude a lil $2 tip or whatever

---

ive made pretty damn good pizza at home, but sometimes you want that greasy buttery goodness of dominos pan pizza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,607,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

LOL @Papa John's. I tried it once--AWFUL, and my landlord saw it and called it "Sponge cake with stewed tomatoes", which was a pretty good description. What a terrible crust, thick and raw and gross.
Papa John's crust looks nothing like sponge cake. It looks more like real bread-like crust than most pizza places. Most pizza places have a yellow-colored crust that resembles soft pretzels, or even crackers, when it's a thin crust. Papa John's has a nice, chewy crust that actually feels like and tastes like bread rather than those other pizza crusts. And that's what I love about it. You may think it's raw, but I think it's perfectly cooked in it chewiness. It's not hard or carboard-like and tough to eat through like most other pizza places, even the supposedly superior smaller establishments and Italian-run pizza joints.

Their sauce is nothing to write home about but it is nothing like stewed tomatoes. It has a definite herb taste to it.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,077,370 times
I don't really like pizza from chains. Maybe if it was 10 dollars I would get it now and then for the convenience, but 20 dollars is not worth it to me.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,361,213 times
What is "fair" is whatever someone is willing to pay.

For me, I wouldn't usually pay $20 for most national chain pizzas (although I certainly have from time to time when attending various kid-sports/activites type events). I have paid $20 for a local pizza with good ingredients. And yes, you're going to pay more (tip etc) for the convenience of having someone bring a fully prepared, hot meal to your doorstep.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM

537 posts, read 737,336 times
If you visit our little tourist town here in Williams, Az on the way to or from Grand Canyon, be prepared to dig deeply into your wallet for pizza. The local Pizza Factory makes a pretty decent pizza (credit where credit is due) but we usually buy two extra-large, one meat-lovers, one veggie-lovers. It always runs about $50. I keep looking for the hidden gold nuggets but they are never found.

Even though we can afford that occasional splurge, I now buy our take-out pizza from the Pizza Hut. Hand-tossed crust, meat-lovers pizzas run about half. Works for us. I'm not on vacation, the tourist place has no atmosphere, and the "help" are unfriendly -- so why be a sucker?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 AM

88,177 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Papa John's crust looks nothing like sponge cake. It looks more like real bread-like crust than most pizza places. Most pizza places have a yellow-colored crust that resembles soft pretzels, or even crackers, when it's a thin crust. Papa John's has a nice, chewy crust that actually feels like and tastes like bread rather than those other pizza crusts. And that's what I love about it. You may think it's raw, but I think it's perfectly cooked in it chewiness. It's not hard or carboard-like and tough to eat through like most other pizza places, even the supposedly superior smaller establishments and Italian-run pizza joints.

Their sauce is nothing to write home about but it is nothing like stewed tomatoes. It has a definite herb taste to it.
Maybe it's the differences in where we live. A "bread-like crust" is not a positive thing to me, and I've never seen a thin yellow pretzelly crust such as you describe, which does sound pretty gross. I want a real traditional pizza crust, the kind the guy whacks around on the countertop and tosses in the air. Sort of hard yet chewy.

Ah, but this is America. We can all get the type of pizza we want.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM

8,072 posts, read 10,006,577 times
These folks make what is arguably the best pizza in America. Thin crust, wood fired oven, plenty of first rate toppings, REAL cheese (do I even need to mention that? I guess I do if people eat Dominos), and no scrimping on portions. Welcome to Pie in the Sky | Pie In The Sky

They get between $15 and $20 for a large pizza. That sets the standard as far as I am concerned.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:59 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,225,840 times
Pizza and the way it is made is a personal choice. We have all of the "chains" here & would not order from one of them. There is an authentic NY style Pizza place that we get our pizza from. Thin crust, nothing chewy, fresh homemade sauce (made daily). The starting price for 18" is $14.99, $2.00 per topping. With the tip $23.00 and well worth it. The kids that deliver use their own cars and it is free delivery, they are all in college so we give them a $5.00 tip.

Football Sundays are the best, 16" Pizza, 3 toppings and family style platter of spaghetti with meatballs or ziti, feeds 6 and it $23.95, oh yes, garlic knots are included too for the price.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 AM

50,074 posts, read 63,428,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It would have been far cheaper to pick it up yourself. You likely had a delivery charge on there, plus your tip, neither of which you would have had if you picked it up. Usually I pay $10-$13.00 for a large or even family size pizza, but that is not having it delivered.
Yes, I could have, but I had my feet up with a cocktail, so wouldn't drive.
I can tell you that, in Domino's favor, one time I ordered it from work and picked it up on the way home. The guy at the register said, "that's too much for a pizza, and knocked $5. off the price."

I have gotten some really uneven results from chain pizzas, but even a mom and pop pizza place can be not that great. The pizza we got from Domino's this time was really awesome.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:03 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
For $20, I can make 8 large 3-topping pizzas at home.

What you're paying for is the convenience, and there's nothing wrong with that.
wow, and pray tell what type of cheese and topping are you using to make 8 for $20.00? I like to make my own, am doing this for Christmas eve: I will make 2 large ones and they will cost at least $20.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink