Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:07 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times

Advertisements

OMG my mother double-dips, and it embarrasses me to no end. I try not to serve dips when she's around. If I do, I try to make it so that everyone has their own little dip bowls, or can put some on a plate.

She also tends to dominate the conversation, which makes me cringe as well. My mother-in-law is an absolute saint, as she just smiles sweetly and lets Mom talk. However, I'm always sure to say, "You were saying..?" to my MIL when she's been interrupted.

I love my mother dearly, but how do you teach your parent these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 07:06 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
OMG my mother double-dips, and it embarrasses me to no end. I try not to serve dips when she's around. If I do, I try to make it so that everyone has their own little dip bowls, or can put some on a plate.

She also tends to dominate the conversation, which makes me cringe as well. My mother-in-law is an absolute saint, as she just smiles sweetly and lets Mom talk. However, I'm always sure to say, "You were saying..?" to my MIL when she's been interrupted.

I love my mother dearly, but how do you teach your parent these things?
gives me an idea that a new sub forum should be started. parenting your parents!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:27 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
Three situations come to my mind:

1. I had a co-worker who would eat cheetos all day and talk with her mouth full. All I saw was the orange stuff in her mouth. Gross.

2. I once had dinner with my aunt, and after the meal, she took her compact out of her purse, along with tweezers, and tweezed hair off of her chin. Gross.

3. Recently had dinner with friends (they're married) - nice restaurant, and before we started eating, she removed her retainer - at the table. After eating, she put it back in. Gross.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:30 AM

no way! NO WAY!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH ! Gross !

Old 11-24-2007, 08:58 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I have a "future" daughter in law that has the worst manners I have ever seen.......
Before the food is served she has her fork in the platter..When unexpected guests arrive and you have to stretch dinner, she could care less, she makes sure she is first at the table and "loads" up.
It is really hard to eat with her in the room as she smacks so loud when she eats it makes other people sick.
Last year she took all the candy out of my grandsons basket and ate it.
We all went out to lunch another day. Most people ordered the same thing as she did but when the food came she grabbed my nephews plate because his looked better.
Mind you, she never takes out her wallet.
I am so surprised that my son is with her as he grew up with "either you have good manners or you leave the table".
Geeez, she sounds like a pig.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Unfortuantely we have tried it all.. He needs to wake up before it is too late.
Everyone has to make their own mistakes. We all do get on her case when she gets out of line. I am not a prude but her language makes my hair stand on end and one tday I told her never to use that language in my house. She doesn't anymore. I think she is starting to get it but who know............He needs to get it but I need to step back too.

Absolutely right on that. You have a right to not be held hostage by offensive behavior in your own home, but mother-in-laws also need to know when to butt out. My MIL didn't, and it ruined my marriage. Of course, my ex contributed to it by always taking her side...but if she had not constantly interfered, we'd probably still be together and my ex would probably still be on speaking terms with his mother, which he no longer is. That's what makes me smile about the whole thing...he's alone, she's miserable, and I've already moved on to a much better relationship.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:09 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Quote:
We thought that they would only be together for 6 months tops....it has now been over six years. Her parents are a nightmare. Mom rules everyone...
I have asked my son to really think about this...Cannot understand the draw to her.

Praying the wedding doesn't go through as they cannot seem to pick a date which to me is good.
I cannot harp on it because I don't want to start having a bad relationship with my son.

Love truly is blind.

(It doesn't just stop at the manners)

Maybe not.
After 6 years together, and if they can't pick a date, they have serious problems.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:20 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I don't like it when people I'm eating with, stick there fork into my plate to taste something without asking me permission.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I have a "future" daughter in law that has the worst manners I have ever seen.......
Before the food is served she has her fork in the platter..When unexpected guests arrive and you have to stretch dinner, she could care less, she makes sure she is first at the table and "loads" up.
It is really hard to eat with her in the room as she smacks so loud when she eats it makes other people sick.
Last year she took all the candy out of my grandsons basket and ate it.
We all went out to lunch another day. Most people ordered the same thing as she did but when the food came she grabbed my nephews plate because his looked better.
Mind you, she never takes out her wallet.
I am so surprised that my son is with her as he grew up with "either you have good manners or you leave the table".
i feel so bad for ya. maybe it is for the best (as some suggest) to just stay out of it (though it may be hard to keep your mouth shut). sigh, even though he is your son and you dont want to see him make such a major mistake, he may just learn more quickly if you stay out of it. i would be going crazy right now if i were in your position.

Last edited by nicolepsy; 11-24-2007 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: smiley thingy removal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink