Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any Turkey success stories to share?
Or maybe some failures with the "proverbial" Thanksgiving Turkey;
How did your turkey turn out?? And what made it a" big hit" with your guests??
Feel free to share unique stories and recipes please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 04:35 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
OK....my turkey turned out awesome this year, doing the "deep fried thing" for the first time.
I brined it for 2 days in a solution of:
1 gallon of water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
any fresh herbs on hand (like rosemary, thyme, basil etc)
a handful crushed black peppercorns
minced garlic
2 oranges cut into chunks

I took the turkey out, let it drip dry for about 1 hour, and rub the whole bird with creole seasoning mix (it won't be spicy at all, but will help with the golden brown color of the turkey in the frying process)
I also injected a mixture out of melted butter, brown sugar, garlic juice, lemon and lime into the breast, legs.
It was the best tasting turkey I have ever eaten in my life....and my husband says the same.
Awesome flavor, awesome eye appeal, incredible moisture and juicy all around!
We are hooked, and will continue to fry our Thanksgiving Turkeys from now on ever year!

Old 11-22-2007, 06:19 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Wow. That sounds really good.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
OK....my turkey turned out awesome this year, doing the "deep fried thing" for the first time.
1 gallon of water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
minced garlic

I took the turkey out, let it drip dry for about 1 hour, and rub the whole bird with creole seasoning mix (it won't be spicy at all, but will help with the golden brown color of the turkey in the frying process)
I also injected a mixture out of melted butter, brown sugar, garlic juice, lemon and lime into the breast, legs.
It was the best tasting turkey I have ever eaten in my life....and my husband says the same.
We are hooked, and will continue to fry our Thanksgiving Turkeys from now on ever year!
Thanks for posting;
Glad to hear you had great success, with your turkey; Sounds like it was very yummy" Continue to enjoy the remainder of the Holiday
God Bless

Old 11-23-2007, 05:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I've been roasting turkeys for many years, but the ones we had this year were right up there in the top 5.

I did two turkeys, 14 and 15 pounds.
One was kosher, one was free range organic.
I brined the Free Range in a brine a lot like MovingBacktoPA's.
This year, I brined it a bit ahead of time so that it had about half a day to dry out a bit after being rinsed.

Both turkeys were sprinkled with lemon juice inside, had a few sage leaves, rosemary sprigs and onions inside, and Herbes de Provence and olive oil on the outside.

Then my husband grilled Free Range outside on the rotisserie.
I also roasted Kosher turkey in the oven. For the first half of the time, it roasted Breast Side Down. Then I turned it over.

I was a little worried about *both* of the turkeys, they got so brown--but they both were superb!
But the brined-and-rotisseried one was lipsmackingly scrumptious.
Even my sister in law was impressed.
One entire turkey was consumed but we have leftovers for sandwiches today.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 AM

204 posts, read 774,008 times
Everything was a hit-even my SIL who claimed to only like canned jellied cranberries ate my cranberry relish (of course I had the standard jellied, too). Cheesecake was awesome and creamy and have lots of great leftovers!!!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
ooo la la I never had fried turkey before and I will say it is good we bought it from Bojangles even though I think fried turkey is tougher than roasted I do like how it moist and has flavor.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:01 AM

979 posts, read 3,827,707 times
Thumbs up Gobble gobble

I made two turkeys this year actually. A 15 lb Champagne Turkey in the oven cooked in an oven bag (soooooo yummy, came out so juicy!) and deep fried a 20 lb turkey. Came out a bit dry but still tasty! This was the first time I had ever cooked a turkey, my first year being the entertainer. It was soooo much work, I had to call my mom, of course and thank her for all the prior thanksgivings. It was fun though! And now I know how to fry and bake a turkey.

P.S. I injected the turkey with beer and cajun spices. I couldn't taste it afterwards though. I think I should have injected it more.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
yes my kid brother cooked it. for some reason that makes it taste better.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 AM

853 posts, read 968,431 times
Default Okay - MovingBack - I have to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
1 gallon of water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
minced garlic

what kind of oil you fried the turkey in~!! We tried deep frying twice - once we were thrilled with the results - the next time not so much. I'm definitely open to giving it another try with your "recipe for success" especially with such rave reviews!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink