U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 03:27 AM

35,316 posts, read 47,495,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I like Coaticook Ice Cream......real milk and cream, not "modified milk solids".
It's fabulous.

Ice Cream’s Dirty Little Secret – The Mindful Table
Good link Weltz its amazing the amount of stuff people dont know about not only ice cream but most of the food we are offered for consumption.
Personal tip, the Laura Secord ice Cream we used to make had to conform the highest standards, it actually had an amazing 18% butterfat.
Ice cream – Products – Laura Secord

Last edited by jambo101; 11-17-2013 at 03:36 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 11-17-2013, 12:58 PM

993 posts, read 1,442,615 times
Just another reason to make your OWN food.

Homemade ice cream is the bomb-diggity! 21st century ice cream makers don't even require you to churn anymore (like the old one that I have does), so it's a super easy process.

Last edited by sade693; 11-17-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 02:16 PM

12,090 posts, read 15,521,415 times
Breyers is my favorite ice cream and has been for years. I bought some a few days ago and it was good as it always has been. If it stays that way with natural ingredients I'm fine with it.
I noticed here in NY frozen yogurt places are opening up everywhere. it's a trend from what I see. I Prefer ice cream over frozen yogurt.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 PM

16,561 posts, read 14,682,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Breyers is my favorite ice cream and has been for years. I bought some a few days ago and it was good as it always has been. If it stays that way with natural ingredients I'm fine with it.
I noticed here in NY frozen yogurt places are opening up everywhere. it's a trend from what I see. I Prefer ice cream over frozen yogurt.

It's my absolute favorite, too, but they downsized from half gallon to three pints and that was just too much of a reduction for me to afford comfortably, so now I mostly buy the Edy's (Dreyer's) or the Blue Bell. I refuse to ever buy Ben & Jerry's because of their disgusting corporate decisions.

Breyer's lactose-free vanilla is so awesome! Love those vanilla beans!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,646,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That "ice cream" isn't even close. Ice cream needs 10% milkfat. That has less than 5% milkfat. They could call it a "light ice cream" if they wanted to.
Good to know this. Thanks.
Breyers Ice Cream is one of my favorite brands, although I have never tried their "Frozen Diary Dessert". I have serous food allergies for a while now, and carrageenan is on my "to ban" list.

Breyers "Frozen Diary Dessert"
http://consumermediallc.files.wordpr...ents.jpg?w=610

Breyers "Vanilla Ice Cream"
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-z7W9xNRCWP...on%2Bfacts.jpg

Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 PM

4,426 posts, read 8,568,368 times
Dreyers made that same switch a few years ago, making some of their flavors "frozen dairy dessert" instead of ice cream. I wrote and gave my opinion of it. A year or two later, they sent me a letter saying they had put those flavors back into the GRAND line. They included a coupon so I could try it. It's pretty good.

Write to Breyers; maybe they will listen too.

I am taking a trip soon to California, where I will eat plenty of Thrifty ice cream - the best!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM

12,971 posts, read 26,182,946 times
It's all in the Federal Definitions... gelato is not considered "ice cream" in the US because it doesn't fit the definition, yet many people consider it a superior product... and it sells for higher prices!

In the US to be labeled "ice cream" it must contain at least 10% fat, or as high as 16%, and typically it consists of half solids, half air.

So... there can't be any "lowfat ice cream" and "lowfat" products are labelled as "frozen dairy dessert." They typically look and feel and taste very similar to ice cream, and are eaten the same way, but they don't meet legal requirements to be called ice cream.

Gelato, by contrast, has no US standards, but in Italy must be at least 3.5% fat, and has very little overrun (included air). In the US gelatos often have higher fat content than they do in Italy, but it's still much lower than ice cream.

On the flip side, gelato typically has higher sugar content, but is sold in smaller servings. Gelato is typically 16-24% sugar, while ice cream is typically in the 12-16% range.

So in terms of styles, ice cream is high fat, medium sugar, high air content; and gelato is low fat, high sugar, low air... while "frozen dairy dessert" is kind of halfway between them.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,168 times
I eat the sugar-free vanilla and sugar-free neapolitan. My two complaints:
1.) The ice cream is not consistent. Flavor, texture, sweetness, etc. changes all the time from one day to the next.
2.) For at least six months, their strawberry sugar free has changed and not for the better. It tastes like a chemical or poison, no exaggeration. I had to spit it out. I have purchased multiple cartons, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. What were they thinking? To their credit, they sent me two coupons for my troubles. What they really need to do is go back to their old formulas

Old 06-15-2017, 02:13 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,378,416 times
I tried Halo Top ice cream awhile back. At the grocery store I was like... "Wow! I can have a whole pint for 250 calories!" Then I tasted it. No bueno lol. And it was like 6 bucks. I'll stick to my tiny portion of Ben and Jerry's any day of the week, thank you.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:16 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,318,479 times
What, is this like the 'orange breakfast drink' generic stuff you see that's 99% artificial processed crap?

I already have to check labels for sodium, better get in the habit of making sure my Haagen Daz is genuine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.