Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:59 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times

Advertisements

Probably something similar to the deaded cheese-product..............full of Frankeningredients.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:03 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
breyers had this mint chocolate chip...…. drizzled with hersheys chocolate.syrup .... ...food orgasm in a bowl!!

Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
breyers had this mint chocolate chip...…. drizzled with hersheys chocolate.syrup .... ...food orgasm in a bowl!!
Breyers does have the best mint chocolate chip- I'm with you there. It's neither green nor cloyingly sweet. Last I checked it was ice cream, not frozen dairy dessert.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:03 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Breyers does have the best mint chocolate chip- I'm with you there. It's neither green nor cloyingly sweet. Last I checked it was ice cream, not frozen dairy dessert.
Even the stuff that's still called ice cream is made with the stabilizer tara gum, which ruined the texture of Breyers forever. I first noticed it in a 3/8-gallon in 2009. It simply wasn't the same. I tried the French vanilla, strawberry, and mint chocolate chip flavors as well. None was the ice cream I once loved.

https://consumerist.com/2007/03/15/b...-has-tara-gum/

Old 12-14-2018, 04:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Even the stuff that's still called ice cream is made with the stabilizer tara gum, which ruined the texture of Breyers forever. I first noticed it in a 3/8-gallon in 2009. It simply wasn't the same. I tried the French vanilla, strawberry, and mint chocolate chip flavors as well. None was the ice cream I once loved.

Understood. I think it still doesn't have HFCS though, like many other ice creams. I haven't had it in quite awhile though.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:41 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Default u

Quote:

You nailed it! I avoid ice cream that contains tara gum or carrageenan, not to mention HFCS.

I used to love Breyer’s ice cream. When Dreyer’s bought them (confusing some people with the rhyming names, I bet), they added a bunch of kiddie-type flavors that were more like mixins than real flavors. I steered clear of those and bought the old standbys that were not yet adulterated, namely vanilla bean, chocolate chip, mint chocolate chip, strawberry, butter pecan. Those had the original recipes...at that point.

Recently I was going to buy the downsized “half gallon” size of Breyers classic flavors. Not having eaten it in literally years, I examined the ingredients list. THICKENERS had been added. Blasphemy. Decided to buy one of the Haagen-Daaz flavors that (knock on wood) still have not been blasphemized. <———-the word I really want to use also begins with B and has a short “a” sound but the censors might bleep it.

I digress. Dreyer’s had bought HD back when they bought Breyer’s. I think they intended to gradually deteriorate the quality of those earlier versions, to make people switch to Dreyer’s, which is nowhere near as good.

Unfortunately, HD does not seem to be as good as its earlier self. Even the purest flavors (5 ingredients, no tara gum or carrageenan or HFCS) lack the superdense and smooth texture of earlier HD. They supposedly have 20+% butterfat, but I think they must whip more air into the mix now. That would account for weighing 14 oz instead of 16 oz for a pint volume!

Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Unfortunately, HD does not seem to be as good as its earlier self. Even the purest flavors (5 ingredients, no tara gum or carrageenan or HFCS) lack the superdense and smooth texture of earlier HD. They supposedly have 20+% butterfat, but I think they must whip more air into the mix now. That would account for weighing 14 oz instead of 16 oz for a pint volume!
I don't agree. To me, the container the 14 oz. "pint" of Haagen-Dazs comes in is perceptibly smaller than the former 16 oz. pint.

Also, I don't know about HFCS, but I don't think I've ever seen any H-D flavor that contains tara gum, nor the original two ice cream bugaboos, carrageenan or guar gum. I don't know about percentage of butterfat, though.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
I don't agree. To me, the container the 14 oz. "pint" of Haagen-Dazs comes in is perceptibly smaller than the former 16 oz. pint.

Also, I don't know about HFCS, but I don't think I've ever seen any H-D flavor that contains tara gum, nor the original two ice cream bugaboos, carrageenan or guar gum. I don't know about percentage of butterfat, though.
You can look up all current flavor ingredient lists at the HD website.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,168,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
...................They supposedly have 20+% butterfat, but I think they must whip more air into the mix now. That would account for weighing 14 oz instead of 16 oz for a pint volume!
It's 14 fluid ounces, which is a measure of volume, not weight. It's the amount of space it takes. A fluid ounce is 1/16 of a pint.

One fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce. Since many of the ingredients of ice cream weigh less than water, the carton of HD probably weighs less than 14 ounces.

What they have done is decrease, by volume, the amount of ice cream you are buying. That's what jay noticed in a previous post.

The same thing happened to gallons of ice cream a while back. "Gallons" of ice cream no longer contain a gallon.

Rather than increase prices, they choose to decrease the size of the containers.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:20 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
And I thought it was just me!

I used to love Breyer's Mint chocolate chip. I stopped buying all of their other flavors years ago. The mint chocolate chip is also not as good as it used to be, but once it a while, if no other ice-cream is on sale, I will pick it up, but only mint chocolate chip. I used to love their vanilla bean, but it's pretty bad now. Now, I know why.

I also don't think Haagen Daz is as good as it used to be, but I like some of their new flavors. My favorite was always Swiss Almond Vanilla. How is Ben and Jerry's? I haven't had them in years, but given the fact that you can tour the factory, I would hope that they would be relatively honest with the public with their ingredients?

I wish they would stop messing with the ice-cream formulas. Carvel and Baskin and Robbins have become inedible and they are not cheap either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink