Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times

Advertisements

I want to do a ham for Thanksgiving dinner and saw they have several kinds. I know I don't want the preseasoned/glazed one and prefer to do it myself.

Which cut do you recommend? And why? (better flavor, less bone etc?) I see shank, shoulder, half, butt etc. I would like more meat than fat if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,675 times
I buy the spiral cut ham. It makes life so much easier. Brand names seem to differ in parts of the country but Gwatney is a good name and I used to buy Smithfield, but that one is off the books for me.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I buy the spiral cut ham. It makes life so much easier. Brand names seem to differ in parts of the country but Gwatney is a good name and I used to buy Smithfield, but that one is off the books for me.
What part of the ham is that? I don't have that brand. (and I wouldn't touch Smithfield either!)

Old 11-17-2013, 11:34 AM

I believe it is the butt portion of a pig.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,136,400 times
Now that Hamilton hams have been bought out by Smithfield I only buy Smithfield half/whole hams. They're absolutely delicious! I prefer a savory, juicy ham and not the sweet stuff.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
ham is the meat off the back legs/hidquarter of a pig- a pork butt, or pork shoulder picnic is off the front shoulders of the pig.

ham can also be fresh or uncured/not smoked-again-the meat on the hindquarter of a pig

different types of hams

the basics

shanks & butt portions,
these are the most commonly sold, because the shank portion ham is usually the cheapest ham sold-
the shank portion is usually around 10lbs, still has the pork hock on it(great for pea-soups)-the butt half is a great value-still fairly cheap, with less waste than a shank-usually around 7-8lbs

the next better ham is called the semi-boneless ham, this is one of the best bone in hams you can buy- with little waste

the skinless shankless hams are one of the best you can buy- usually these have a local or regional favorite name-but cooks , hatfield make a good one
these are whole hams, ranging from 16-25lbs, you can have these split, or sliced into ham steaks, whatever you want-just ask the butcher

spiral sliced- these are pre-sliced as we all know-be very careful not to overcook these-these can be very dry!!

my personal favorite is the semi-boneless, usually around 7-9lbs, around 1.89lb its got the great bone in flavor and not as pricey as the sknls shankless hams that are usually over 2.00lb

the hams today-most are smoked/cured -fully cooked, you just have to warm them in the oven- be careful you dont overcook them,,,,,i usually go 10-12 mins per lb

the picnic or pork shoulder is also cured/smoked, many still call it a ham, but these are good for boiled dinners-simmered in a pot with veggies-not baked

the "butt" is a pork shoulder, usually sold fresh, not considered a ham around these parts

their are many boneless hams on the market some of these are decent- tho look at the label and notice the water/moisture content- some of these are formed and pumped

if you do buy a boneless ham, be careful not to overcook, and slice thin when serving -(can be a bit dry)

the "daisy roll" or daisy ham is from the front of the pig, lots of flavor, because its half fat-not really a ham

if you want a very easy, fool-proof ham,,,buy the thick center cut slice, also called the ham roast, these have little waste and are very good

usually figure 1-1.5lbs per serving on bone in hams,,a little less if many kids,, if boneless, go 1/2-3/4lb per serving

Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ham is the meat off the back legs/hidquarter of a pig- a pork butt, or pork shoulder picnic is off the front shoulders of the pig.

ham can also be fresh or uncured/not smoked-again-the meat on the hindquarter of a pig

different types of hams

the basics

shanks & butt portions,
these are the most commonly sold, because the shank portion ham is usually the cheapest ham sold-
the shank portion is usually around 10lbs, still has the pork hock on it(great for pea-soups)-the butt half is a great value-still fairly cheap, with less waste than a shank-usually around 7-8lbs

the next better ham is called the semi-boneless ham, this is one of the best bone in hams you can buy- with little waste

the skinless shankless hams are one of the best you can buy- usually these have a local or regional favorite name-but cooks , hatfield make a good one
these are whole hams, ranging from 16-25lbs, you can have these split, or sliced into ham steaks, whatever you want-just ask the butcher

spiral sliced- these are pre-sliced as we all know-be very careful not to overcook these-these can be very dry!!

my personal favorite is the semi-boneless, usually around 7-9lbs, around 1.89lb its got the great bone in flavor and not as pricey as the sknls shankless hams that are usually over 2.00lb

the hams today-most are smoked/cured -fully cooked, you just have to warm them in the oven- be careful you dont overcook them,,,,,i usually go 10-12 mins per lb

the picnic or pork shoulder is also cured/smoked, many still call it a ham, but these are good for boiled dinners-simmered in a pot with veggies-not baked

the "butt" is a pork shoulder, usually sold fresh, not considered a ham around these parts

their are many boneless hams on the market some of these are decent- tho look at the label and notice the water/moisture content- some of these are formed and pumped

if you do buy a boneless ham, be careful not to overcook, and slice thin when serving -(can be a bit dry)

the "daisy roll" or daisy ham is from the front of the pig, lots of flavor, because its half fat-not really a ham

if you want a very easy, fool-proof ham,,,buy the thick center cut slice, also called the ham roast, these have little waste and are very good

usually figure 1-1.5lbs per serving on bone in hams,,a little less if many kids,, if boneless, go 1/2-3/4lb per serving
My favorite meat poster. Thanks. Rainrroosty, I will google about Smithfield, last I heard they were bought by China.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 PM

I use to be a fan of Smithfield but they have been bought out buy a Chinese company.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 AM

136 posts, read 382,161 times
I buy Hormel Cure 81 boneless or I'll buy a butt.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:08 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
What about a fresh ham from your local butcher. That's what my mom always bought for Christmas dinner in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink