Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Crostini is thin slices of baguette bread or Italian bread brushed with olive oil and garlic and toasted in the oven until golden brown. You can top these toasts with bruschetta or a tapenade, prosciutto and provolone, fig jam and serve with artisan cheeses, goat cheese etc.... or you can use them to dip into a spinach and artichoke dip.
This sounds great! My mouth is watering right now at the thought of those delicacies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM

569 posts, read 671,218 times
[quote=maciesmom;32327855]Well, if possible I'd find out if there are any dietary restrictions/allergies. You'd hate to serve shrimp to someone who doesn't eat seafood .... that wouldn't be a good first impression. As another poster mentioned, if you are not eating at a table, I'd be sure everything was finger type food so no one is awkwardly attempting to use cutlery while balancing a dinner plate on their knees. I'd make sure wharever I was serving (both food and beverages) didn't require a lot of work once initially served. I'd be sure to use nice serving dishes as well as plates and stem or barware.

Not sure about the idea of springing a business proposal under the guise of casual entertaining but that's a different question for a different forum.[/quote]

That was what I was going to post. If I thought I was coming over for a casual meal and conversation I would be bothered that I had to spend a night working or hearing your proposal. Shows lack of respect. Perhaps you should just take her out to lunch but be upfront about the reason.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I like seasonal things, this time of year, mulled wine, and simple tapas. Love warm Brie, with red pepper jelly. But, that can be messy, if this is formal, go with some salami, appetizers, olives, roasted peppers, cheese.

I rarely serve seafood. Not a fan. It has to be cooked and cleaned perfectly. I have made pickled shrimp, but that is a lot of work, if your guests do not like shrimp.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,537 times
what others said about a cheese and charcuterie board, olives, nuts, good breads and crackers, etc.
If you're set on a hot appetizer, I like mini quiches - take frozen mini-tart shells and fill them with an egg and cream mixture and ham and cheese or smoked salmon and dill. Speaking of smoked salmon, that's always a winner too - you can make mini potato pancakes and top with a bit of creme fraiche, smoked salmon, and bit of dill, yum. You could also take the same mini tart shells, bake them on their own, and then fill them with chicken salad or egg salad. Another elegant and easy one is dried figs stuffed with an almond and a bit of goat cheese, wrapped in prosciutto and roasted.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
I think you should sit at the formal dining table. In my opinion better to be formal then to eat dinner on the couch. If you go eating on the couch route then you should of just done appetizers and drinks. Then go out for a meal.
I would do fresh shrimp rather then the ones you posted. A spinach dip in a bread bowl that you serve with the inside of the bread bowl and you could also have some veggies. Crackers and cheese
A main dish I am not sure but would lean towards chicken dish or fish
Dessert simple fresh baked cookies and fruit

Old 11-24-2013, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Just like title says what y'll serve to impress guests as appetizer, main & drinks I was thinkig of this as appertizer

Coconut Shrimp Recipe - Laura Vitale - Laura in the Kitchen Episode 639 - YouTube

Now I need a nice main meal

Deserts
Like others have said, it depends on the event and the number of people, not to mention the season. My favorite appetizer, which I haven't done for awhile is baby cream puffs filled with either sea food or a cream cheese filling: Dinner is usually a type of chicken and there are many possibilities. I will, on rare occasions do a Prime rib. We always serve a potato type of casserole, using a lot of cream and cheese. Not being huge dessert eaters, it depends, we may not serve it at all, but if we do, I like to do crepes with berries on top. I fill the crèmes with a little bit of berry jam. Or, I will serve a cheese pie/cake topped with berries.

Now I read the rest of your situation: I wouldn't even try to serve a real meal: keep it light, cheese, quality deli meats, crackers or baguette with varies toppings: Thinly sliced tomato, cheese and basil works well and you could do the mini cream puffs. A hot appetizer could be mini meat balls. I am still a little confused about your approach. If I were invited to someone's home for an evening, I would think they were interested in me, not a plan they wanted to push. At least, I hope you have given them a little heads up?

Last edited by nmnita; 11-24-2013 at 05:46 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
One thing I would avoid is red wine. Many people are either allergic to it or get migraines from it. So stick with a white wine - perhaps a Blue Nun or a Sauterne. And drop the fried shrimp.
I disagree totally: First something like Blue Nun would be served at a college party maybe or too people who really are not drinkers at all. If someone is trying to make an impression, they serve, at least mid range wines and a selection. A serious red wine drinker would laugh if offered Blue Nun or Sauterne. Having that available might be a plan, but certainly the hostess needs a choice. You might also want to know, there are others that get headaches from white wine. Most people just think it is the red wine, but it can be either.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:12 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am still a little confused about your approach. If I were invited to someone's home for an evening, I would think they were interested in me, not a plan they wanted to push.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 PM

537 posts, read 739,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDG View Post
Ok, you need some help here. If these folks are truly influential in publishing, they are accustomed to high quality foods. Start with a very good wine. Your second bottle does not have to be as pricey. But, it is important to start with something nice. How about a J Lohr cabernet sauvignon? It is not too expensive but is quite good (at least I think so ).

On your coffee table, have a sophisticated but simple assortment that complements the wine. I would serve: a few good cheeses (an aged cheddar, cambozola which is a camembert and gorgonzola, maybe a goat cheese), honey or fig jam to complement the cheese, thin slices of baguette or water crackers (no Ritz or Saltines, please!), champagne grapes or berries, charcuterie (these are sliced smoked meats like high quality prosciuttio and salami), olives, nuts, canapes. A very simple canape is toasted rounds of baguette with Alouette cheese and a thin slice of cucumber on top. If you are in the South, some pimento cheese on toast points under the broiler is always welcome. I would also add some kind of high quality dark chocolate - it goes very nicely with red wine. Easy, elegant and tasty.

If you invited them over for a glass of wine and a bite, they are not expecting a meal. Do NOT serve anything messy, fried/greasy or with bones. Keep it tidy. Use lovely cocktail napkins, nice serveware/plates, cheese board or slate, and good wine glasses - no plastic! This does not have to be expensive. Quantities are small, but quality matters. You want to write. It is a creative enterprise, so show some of your creativity in your selection and presentation. Again, it is about elegant simplicity and good taste, not quantity. Now, a Super Bowl would be an entirely different menu. Bring on the wings, sausage rolls, artichoke dip, etc. Good luck!
Great ideas! Wish I knew how to complement you privately in the "rate post positively" thingie, but I don't.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDG View Post
Ok, you need some help here. If these folks are truly influential in publishing, they are accustomed to high quality foods. Start with a very good wine. Your second bottle does not have to be as pricey. But, it is important to start with something nice. How about a J Lohr cabernet sauvignon? It is not too expensive but is quite good (at least I think so ).

On your coffee table, have a sophisticated but simple assortment that complements the wine. I would serve: a few good cheeses (an aged cheddar, cambozola which is a camembert and gorgonzola, maybe a goat cheese), honey or fig jam to complement the cheese, thin slices of baguette or water crackers (no Ritz or Saltines, please!), champagne grapes or berries, charcuterie (these are sliced smoked meats like high quality prosciuttio and salami), olives, nuts, canapes. A very simple canape is toasted rounds of baguette with Alouette cheese and a thin slice of cucumber on top. If you are in the South, some pimento cheese on toast points under the broiler is always welcome. I would also add some kind of high quality dark chocolate - it goes very nicely with red wine. Easy, elegant and tasty.

If you invited them over for a glass of wine and a bite, they are not expecting a meal. Do NOT serve anything messy, fried/greasy or with bones. Keep it tidy. Use lovely cocktail napkins, nice serveware/plates, cheese board or slate, and good wine glasses - no plastic! This does not have to be expensive. Quantities are small, but quality matters. You want to write. It is a creative enterprise, so show some of your creativity in your selection and presentation. Again, it is about elegant simplicity and good taste, not quantity. Now, a Super Bowl would be an entirely different menu. Bring on the wings, sausage rolls, artichoke dip, etc. Good luck!
Great advice boo! Except I did not know that you could serve different ""tier"" wines on one occassion. I heard serving expensive & cheap wines in a combo can cause headaches?

Lawd these sausage rolls that everone talks about, how do I make them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink