Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 05:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

I don't do either. I put the ingredients in a bowl, and mash and mix it together with a wooden spoon. When it's ready to knead, I take it out of the bowl into a huge plankwood cutting board, and knead it by hand. Making breads is a labor of love for me, one of the few "bastions of tradition" that I won't break. No machine can match the quality of hand-crafted bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I purchased a bread machine years ago when they were all the rage and even though I counted the minutes until I had one of my own, I think I used it only a dozen times. My Viking mixer, however, gets used at the very least on a weekly basis. It does a great job at kneading bread dough along with tons of other uses. If bread making is something you do often, invest in a powerful mixer that will use much more frequently.
^^^Same here. Used it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't do either. I put the ingredients in a bowl, and mash and mix it together with a wooden spoon. When it's ready to knead, I take it out of the bowl into a huge plankwood cutting board, and knead it by hand. Making breads is a labor of love for me, one of the few "bastions of tradition" that I won't break. No machine can match the quality of hand-crafted bread.
Me too, make it by hand, knead it (great work out for the upper arms)

Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:
My breads actually improved after using the Assistent. I also hate working with rye doughs by hand. The dough is some of the stickiest stuff known to mankind.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:46 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
I use a bread machine for the times I just want dough as well, like French bread. I have Panasonic and love it.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I never had any problems with my Oster Kitchen Center and bread dough. Unfortunately, Oster seems to have discontinued the product. Mine finally needed a repair and there are no parts available any more.

I've got the kitchen aid mixer but have not tried it for bread dough. It just doesn't seem to be all that strong. It even whines about chocolate chip cookie dough, so I would expect a protest over bread dough.

I've got a bread machine, but the shape of the loaf is not good. It does an excellent job of kneading and rising. Maybe get the bread machine and take the dough out before it bakes and move it to a bread pan and bake it in the oven.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I never had any problems with my Oster Kitchen Center and bread dough. Unfortunately, Oster seems to have discontinued the product. Mine finally needed a repair and there are no parts available any more.

I've got the kitchen aid mixer but have not tried it for bread dough. It just doesn't seem to be all that strong. It even whines about chocolate chip cookie dough, so I would expect a protest over bread dough.

I've got a bread machine, but the shape of the loaf is not good. It does an excellent job of kneading and rising. Maybe get the bread machine and take the dough out before it bakes and move it to a bread pan and bake it in the oven.
My loaves usually come out nicely shaped out of my machine.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
That's great, since you are physically able. Not everyone is.

The mixer has actually improved the quality of my dough.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:

Bread dough is a different thing...the cookie dough is sticky and thick and you mix it at a higher speed than you would ever use a bread hook.

Here's a good dough recipe to get you started if you want to try it with the KA.

2/3 c warm water
1 tbsp instant yeast
1/2 c warm milk
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
4 cups flour

Throw it all into the KA bowl. Attach dough hook. Mix on lowest setting until dough comes together. Turn up to 2, knead for 4 or 5 minutes or until dough looks smooth. Let dough rise until doubled, about 30 minutes if it's warm in your kitchen, longer if it's not.

Makes 2 or 3 dozen small rolls, or 8 hamburger buns, or 2 14" pizza crusts, or will cover about 45 cocktail sausages for pigs in a blanket. If you're making rolls or buns, let the dough rise again after it is shaped, then bake at 350 for about 18 minutes. If you're making pizza, bake at 450 on a pizza stone for 9 or 10 minutes.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3l7e2t5i View Post
I gave away my bread machine as soon as I got my mixer. I could only use the bread machine for breads and since I never used it to actually bake the breads, just make the dough, it was basically being used as a single function mixer. I use my stand up mixer several times a week whereas I used my bread machine 1-2x a month. Big difference to me and they take up the same amount of space.

All that being said, I think bread machines are usually cheaper, especially since people like me get rid of them. So if you only want/need it for bread dough? Then go for the bread maker since it times it out and does the rise cycles. But if you think that you'd like a mixer for cakes or cookies or anything else? Then go with the stand up mixer and save yourself the trouble and expense of having to make a second purchase shortly down the road.

Just wanted to add another thought, lots of bread recipes can be made in a food processor. If you think you would use that more than a mixer (like if you aren't much of a baker but you use a lot of veggies) it might make more sense to go with a food processor instead of the other two options. Sorry if that makes the decision more complicated, you can totally ignore this if you'd like.
I only occasionally use my bread machine for dough. I make at least two loaves of bread in it a week. Takes about 10 minutes to throw the ingredients in (I add seeds), press buttons and 5 hours later I have a healthy bread and I know exactly what is in it.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:04 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:

When my husband and were looking at buying a mixer for the main purpose of mixing and kneading bread doughs, we pretty much immediately ruled out any Kitchen Aid manufactured in the last 30 years. They just don't have the proven ability to deal with large batches of sticky or low hydration doughs.

Honestly, I highly recommend an Electrolux Assistent. It is belt driven. You can see of a vid of how it takes bagel dough to school on YT:

Electrolux Assistent DLX N28 making bagel dough - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink