Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 07:28 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times

Advertisements

Try this recipe:

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/s...lack-eyed-peas

We love it. Had it for dinner tonight. Make some cornbread with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 07:41 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,393,535 times
I love collards and made some for Thanksgiving--I think it was this recipe.

I never had collards until I was in my 40s and had moved to Indiana. I had them at a place called Chef Dan's Southern Comfort and thought they tasted like green beans that my mom used to make.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:42 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,168 times
Tbere is a variety of collard called Green Glaze. Yea shiny leaves. I also like them when they send up seed stalks. The immature heads in broccoli stage are good.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:54 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
This former Pennsylvanian loves greens, but they have to be cooked by someone who knows what they're doing. I don't.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
I like collard greens a lot and usually order them once a week or so.

However, the way that I have cooked them have changes a lot since eating them in a Brazilian steakhouse in Salt Lake City.

Here is my technique:

1) Wash the collard green. Remove the stems. You can either toss the stems or chop them finely.
2) Roll the collard leaves into a cigar shape as tightly as possible. Cut them into very this strips (1/4 inch).
3) In a wok, heat up your favorite vegetable oil. I prefer either corn or avocado oil.
4) Toss in a teaspoon of garlic and a 1/4 tsp of Aleppo peppers. Stir for a few seconds and then toss in the collard greens.
5) Cook until tender.

Generally, I toss in the stems with the garlic as it adds some texture.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:13 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,114 times
I fry up a couple of strips of bacon til crispy and set aside.
In the bacon grease in the pan, I saute chopped onions and a cubed, medium sweet potato with a pinch of salt and some pepper.
Add in the washed, damp chopped collards (stems removed)
A generous pinch of salt
A few tablespoons of seasoned rice vinegar
a little more liquid, either water or stock, depending on what I have, to finish deglazing the pan
A shake or two of red pepper flakes
Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until everythign is tender.
Crush up the set-aside bacon and stir in just before serving.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:38 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, I’ve lived in GA for 10 years now, and I know that collard greens are a staple in southern cooking. Around the holidays, fresh collards are abundant in the grocery stores.

Dh and I bought some frozen ones to try, since we are big spinach fans.

I cooked them according to package instructions with a couple of pieces of bacon, but really...we do not see the appeal, at all.
Maybe collards aren't for you, but I agree with some others about trying a different recipe. I always cook my collards fresh (never from frozen), and spice them up while adding vinegar and tons of meat (a "few" pieces of bacon won't cut it, unless they are huge, thick bacon slabs ).

Old 02-15-2021, 05:39 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
I answered you in the dinner thread, so I'll copy and paste. You just need the right recipe, Emeril's greens.

Dogboa loves greens, but I never liked them. I looked around for a recipe years ago since I knew he wanted some. Found this one, made it and discovered I liked greens. Made a convert out of Dogboa's brother who hated greens. He went back for thirds first time I made them for him.

The recipe is very forgiving. You can sub out dark brown or even light brown sugar for the molasses, and I usually use cider vinegar. Oh, the original recipe called for a bottle of beer as part of the liquid and I always use that. I cook them in a pressure cooker now so cooking time is much, much shorter, and don't use any liquid other than the beer and the water left on the leaves from rinsing them. I prefer to get the whole leaves and clean them myself so I can strip out the stem.
I wish I’d had this before, because I doubt I’ll buy collards again.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:50 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
I answered you in the dinner thread, so I'll copy and paste. You just need the right recipe, Emeril's greens.

Dogboa loves greens, but I never liked them. I looked around for a recipe years ago since I knew he wanted some. Found this one, made it and discovered I liked greens. Made a convert out of Dogboa's brother who hated greens. He went back for thirds first time I made them for him.

The recipe is very forgiving. You can sub out dark brown or even light brown sugar for the molasses, and I usually use cider vinegar. Oh, the original recipe called for a bottle of beer as part of the liquid and I always use that. I cook them in a pressure cooker now so cooking time is much, much shorter, and don't use any liquid other than the beer and the water left on the leaves from rinsing them. I prefer to get the whole leaves and clean them myself so I can strip out the stem.

Which recipe are you referring to that has molasses?

Old 02-15-2021, 06:12 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Which recipe are you referring to that has molasses?
Sorry, the original recipe had molasses, just like it had beer. I quickly scanned the recipe to see if it was same and since I have subbed the brown sugar when we didn't have molasses, my brain didn't catch that. The linked recipe seems to have been revised to be friendlier to more cooks, since molasses is not an ingredient in a lot of people's refrigerators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink