U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 11,725,652 times

Advertisements

I made them once with this recipe: Gina's Best Collard Greens Recipe : Patrick and Gina Neely : Recipes : Food Network

And it was the nastiest tasting batch I ever had the misfortune to cook. Blech! It was syrupy sweet despite me only using a quarter cup.

I have been drafted to make it to feed 30 people. I would like to make it in the crock pot so I can take it and plug it in at the party. (already reserved an outlet!) I made the greens successfully before but I prefer spicy and salty. This crowd is going to expect true "Southern" greens so I know I need to tame the bitterness somehow.

I have looked at several recipes and saw there are three or four choices in taming the bitterness of the greens. Sugar, baking soda, vinegar and honey. Which is better than the other? And is there a ratio? How many pounds do you think I will need for 25ish people?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 AM

37,414 posts, read 49,329,717 times
I've never cooked any type of greens in any way other than just wilting them or sauteeing them, but I have added vinegar upon serving, as a condiment.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 AM

3,169 posts, read 4,820,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've never cooked any type of greens in any way other than just wilting them or sauteeing them, but I have added vinegar upon serving, as a condiment.
Vinegar or the juice from jarred jalapeno.

I never, ever add sugar to my greens.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM

18,434 posts, read 32,424,746 times
I always use vinegar... (no honey though)

Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM

21,870 posts, read 14,239,911 times
I have used vinegar too. But I have never made it in a crockpot. Would you have a big enough crockpot for collard greens for 30 people? I start off by sauteing a whole chopped onion with smoked turkey (wings or thighs). When the onions have been browned I toss in some minced garlic and then throw the cleaned and chopped collard greens followed with chicken stock. Salt and pepper to taste at the end. I only cook mine for about 45-60 minutes because I don't like them all broken down.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM

986 posts, read 1,543,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I have used vinegar too. But I have never made it in a crockpot. Would you have a big enough crockpot for collard greens for 30 people? I start off by sauteing a whole chopped onion with smoked turkey (wings or thighs). When the onions have been browned I toss in some minced garlic and then throw the cleaned and chopped collard greens followed with chicken stock. Salt and pepper to taste at the end. I only cook mine for about 45-60 minutes because I don't like them all broken down.
This is a good recipe. I use vinegar or pepper sauce, occasionally - which is good if you want a bit of heat.

Texas Pete® Hot Sauce | Pepper Sauce - > If you need to know what it looks like.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 11,725,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
This is a good recipe. I use vinegar or pepper sauce, occasionally - which is good if you want a bit of heat.

Texas Pete® Hot Sauce | Pepper Sauce - > If you need to know what it looks like.
That's how I normally make mine but without the vinegar. Just with pete's hot sauce and ham hocks with stock.

Hmmm I am going to make a small batch this week and see how it tastes with just a hint of vinegar in place of the hot sauce in my usual recipe. I know that the hostess told me they do like it Southern with a hint of sweetness to the greens. So I might toss in a touch of sugar as well.

And yes, I have a giant crockpot for parties.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 AM

15,675 posts, read 27,529,886 times
I use smoked neck bones and red pepper flakes to make traditional collard greens.

However, when I was in Salt Lake City, I saw collard greens cut into a chiffonade and sautéed in olive oil with garlic. I thought that preparation would be terrible, BUT it was quite excellent.

I like people to add their own vinegar and hot sauce.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,937,697 times
Make them with neck bones &/or any ham broth/bits that might be saved in the fridge or freezer, whole unpeeled onions[which get taken out] & or garlic, red pepper flakes, and the best helper in the world for greens that need some help - Sazon pork flavored seasoning.

Hot sauce or vinegar are on the table,

Old 02-14-2021, 04:47 PM

44,629 posts, read 55,605,636 times
Default Collard greens ..we hate them

So, I’ve lived in GA for 10 years now, and I know that collard greens are a staple in southern cooking. Around the holidays, fresh collards are abundant in the grocery stores.

Dh and I bought some frozen ones to try, since we are big spinach fans.

I cooked them according to package instructions with a couple of pieces of bacon, but really...we do not see the appeal, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink