Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:34 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

Ok after I started using splenda a few years ago i started having severe heart burn and Pvc's which (for thse of you that dont know it is what is called when you feel your heart*skip a beat) I had never had in the 31 years before. I dont know if it is splenda or just me, I have heard things but you know how that works. So I have been off splenda for five days and no heartburn yet but still having PVC's, dont know if that is hormonal or what since they do happen more at ovulation and PMS. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 01:51 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I had some pretty bad headaches when I was drinking flavored waters that were sweetened with Splenda. Besides the horrible aftertaste.

I am allergic to Nutra-Sweet, and thought the Splenda would be a good alternative. Now, I either drink plain water or an occasional iced tea or soda as long as they are sweetened with sugar or the ever popular High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Default Don't use any artificial sweetners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ok after I started using splenda a few years ago i started having severe heart burn and Pvc's which (for thse of you that dont know it is what is called when you feel your heart*skip a beat) I had never had in the 31 years before. I dont know if it is splenda or just me, I have heard things but you know how that works. So I have been off splenda for five days and no heartburn yet but still having PVC's, dont know if that is hormonal or what since they do happen more at ovulation and PMS. Anyone else?
I knew already the dangers of Aspertame, and Splenda is marketed like it's almost sugar, just a few molecules changed around to make it non-fattening...well, that molecule shift changes the product completely into sucralose, which is produced by chlorinating sucrose (sugar); three chlorine atoms are substituted for three hydroxyl groups. According to Consumers Research Magazine, some concern was initially raised about sucralose being a chlorinated molecule, as chlorinated molecules also serve as the basis for pesticides such as D.D.T. sucralose is a chlorocarbon. The chlorocarbons have long been known for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. Testing has revealed that it has been shown to cause up to 40% shrinkage of the thymus-the gland that is the cornerstone of the immune system, and swelling of the liver and kidneys, bloating, headaches, red reactions to the skin, shortness of breath, depression, difficulty sleeping, etc.
All kinds of reactions are being reported and it boils down to the fact that the stuff is poisonous. No one in his or her right mind should be ingesting artificial sweeteners. I used to use white processed sugar, and I still use it for baking cookies n' stuff, but I use raw sugar now that comes in a 2 lb. box with a spout for my black tea. It's sweet, tastes good, and it's real sugar and unrefined. Real sugar actually has health benefits. Artificial sweeteners have all been shown to cause health problems, sometimes immediately. I will not eat anything with Splenda, NutraSweet, Sweet n' Low, or whatever those pink and blue little packets have in them. I know they're bad for me and I don't want to ingest poisons knowingly.
A google search on "Splenda Dangers" will open up an unbelievable amount of information to you.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Splenda tastes better than the other fake sugars, but it gives me a stomach ache. I avoid all artificial sweeteners, they all bother my stomach and/or leave a bad aftertaste in my mouth, plus I also think they are unhealthy.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:27 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Splenda tastes better than the other fake sugars, but it gives me a stomach ache. I avoid all artificial sweeteners, they all bother my stomach and/or leave a bad aftertaste in my mouth, plus I also think they are unhealthy.
It really sucks, I have to avoid sugar, so now I am using stevia which is natual but tastes weird.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I tried it once and it gave me bad migraines. Not good. It did taste different too, I don't care what they say, it did (only used it in my iced tea). My mil uses it now since she was diagnosed w/ diabetes but I don't think that is wise. I'd rather just use less real sugar or nothing. The whole artificial thing just does not appeal to me. I don't drink diet drinks either. Still the same things, something artificial.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I knew already the dangers of Aspertame, and Splenda is marketed like it's almost sugar, just a few molecules changed around to make it non-fattening...well, that molecule shift changes the product completely into sucralose, which is produced by chlorinating sucrose (sugar); three chlorine atoms are substituted for three hydroxyl groups. According to Consumers Research Magazine, some concern was initially raised about sucralose being a chlorinated molecule, as chlorinated molecules also serve as the basis for pesticides such as D.D.T. sucralose is a chlorocarbon. The chlorocarbons have long been known for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. Testing has revealed that it has been shown to cause up to 40% shrinkage of the thymus-the gland that is the cornerstone of the immune system, and swelling of the liver and kidneys, bloating, headaches, red reactions to the skin, shortness of breath, depression, difficulty sleeping, etc.
All kinds of reactions are being reported and it boils down to the fact that the stuff is poisonous. No one in his or her right mind should be ingesting artificial sweeteners. I used to use white processed sugar, and I still use it for baking cookies n' stuff, but I use raw sugar now that comes in a 2 lb. box with a spout for my black tea. It's sweet, tastes good, and it's real sugar and unrefined. Real sugar actually has health benefits. Artificial sweeteners have all been shown to cause health problems, sometimes immediately. I will not eat anything with Splenda, NutraSweet, Sweet n' Low, or whatever those pink and blue little packets have in them. I know they're bad for me and I don't want to ingest poisons knowingly.
A google search on "Splenda Dangers" will open up an unbelievable amount of information to you.
Great post, anybody who uses splenda is slowly poisoning themselves and is too stupid to realize what they are doing.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Great post, anybody who uses splenda is slowly poisoning themselves and is too stupid to realize what they are doing.
I suppose this is true. I use Splenda.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
When I first found out I had diabetes, I started eating a lot of "sugar free" candy and chocolate sweetened with Spenda- I figured it was easier to wean myself off of the candy/chocolate habits slowly, rather than going cold turkey. That stuff absolutely killed my stomach- cramps, diarrhea, and horrible gas. I quickly cut that stuff off as well, but even now if I have even an average-sized serving of anything sweetened with Splenda, I've got gas for a day or two afterwards.

I think the high blood sugar from eating the real stuff is better....lol.

Bob

Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
I also have a related thread currently running in the Health & Wellness forum, if anyone would like to join in...

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...aspartame.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink