Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Heres my 2 cents

The Best are from the primal called the chuck roll this has the neck on one side, and the chuck delmonico on the other
This is where bnls chuck steaks and roasts come from. The good flavor of the chuck with some marbling....great for stew

The other chuck primal is the shoulder or shoulder clod - this is the leaner piece that consists of the shoulder arm muscle and the t op blade - where the flat iron comes from

Leaner stew is cut from the many round primals from inside rounds, to gooseneck rounds, to bottom rounds, knuckles, to eye rounds
This is usually tough because so lean, it also doesn't have the flavor of chuck stew

Stew from brisket can be decent if cooked right- doesn't have the flavor of the chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
I'd use a mix of shank and chuck roast, because they both have something different to offer.

Shank is loaded with connective tissue and tendons, which dissolves during a long braise and adds a lot of fullness to the stock. If you're lucky it also comes with a cross section of leg bone and marrow which adds even more body to the braising liquid.

Chuck is the classic pot roast cut and comes with a healthy marbling of fat, which is essential for a deep, rich flavor. Ideally, you would brown the chuck roast first to release some of the fat, then use that collected fat to brown the shank (which is very lean). Both cuts can stand up to a lengthy braise without overcooking and getting stringy.

I'd stay away from the pre-cut "stew beef" because it's made of random butcher's trimmings. All kinds of meat gets mixed in there and not all of it will be suited for a long braise.
Yeah, I never buy stew beef. I'd rather buy a solid chunk and know what I'm getting.
I found some shanks on sale a few weeks ago and stewed them down in a slow cooker and I was amazed at the flavor.

I don't buy prepacked hamburger, either. Never know what's in it. I never read a story about someone dieing after eating a steak. Hamburger meat? Not so much. It gets recalled all the time.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:03 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I buy a chuck roast and chop it up.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I also agree with using chuck roast.

However, occasionally, I have to buy a few pounds of oxtails and do a good oxtail stew.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I do something very unusual when making beef stew. I buy thick loin steak when it's on sale and make my stew with that. I find it so far superior to all of the cheap cuts of beef that there is no comparison at all. I don't like chewy, stringy or tough meat and the beef loin in the stew just melts in your mouth. I have used sirloin tip, rump roast, tee bone and other rear quarter cuts but they don't seem as good as the New York cut. I have been getting AAA New York steaks for $5 a pound lately and I buy a lot of them when they are at that price. If I want a real inexpensive beef stew I make one using ground beef. I have gotten a lot of compliments on my ground beef stew. I make it nice and thick, dark brown and full of garlic cloves, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, turnips, corn and sometimes even a few beans.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I do something very unusual when making beef stew. I buy thick loin steak when it's on sale and make my stew with that. I find it so far superior to all of the cheap cuts of beef that there is no comparison at all. I don't like chewy, stringy or tough meat and the beef loin in the stew just melts in your mouth. I have used sirloin tip, rump roast, tee bone and other rear quarter cuts but they don't seem as good as the New York cut. I have been getting AAA New York steaks for $5 a pound lately and I buy a lot of them when they are at that price. If I want a real inexpensive beef stew I make one using ground beef. I have gotten a lot of compliments on my ground beef stew. I make it nice and thick, dark brown and full of garlic cloves, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, turnips, corn and sometimes even a few beans.
Oh yes Canada grades beef differently

Aaa is choice
Aa. Is select
A is alien mutilations.

New York strip should be good for stew- its around 11.00 at the supermarkets,,
Ground beef stew ? Burger stew. Sloppy joes?

Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Oh yes Canada grades beef differently

Aaa is choice
Aa. Is select
A is alien mutilations.

New York strip should be good for stew- its around 11.00 at the supermarkets,,
Ground beef stew ? Burger stew. Sloppy joes?
My ground beef stew is just like any beef stew except it has ground meat in it instead of chunks of beef. I fry the beef well with lots of spices and add it with all the fat into the vegetables that are semi cooked. I let that cook on low for quite a while and then make it pretty thick with corn starch.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
My ground beef stew is just like any beef stew except it has ground meat in it instead of chunks of beef. I fry the beef well with lots of spices and add it with all the fat into the vegetables that are semi cooked. I let that cook on low for quite a while and then make it pretty thick with corn starch.

I was being a bit sarcastic ,,

I use to cook a version of this years ago it was very good, I called it a meatball soup or meatball stew

It was particularly tasty when I would mix in sausage seasonings with ground chuck

Old 12-06-2013, 04:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I usually buy a steak or two and cube em up,Packets of stewing beef work well, another option is to buy a couple of packages of cubed Beef for Bourguinon ,another is a few packs of Chinese Fondue cubes.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
A good cut of meat helps, but to add a " beefy" flavor, I like to take some sweetbread, and dice it up with a bit of oil in the stew pot before I begin. I let it cook down, stirring it frequently, and add a bit of flour to give the stew a gravy. I like something to sop up with my bisquits! Then I add my water, and the rest of the ingredients, and sit back, and enjoy the aroma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink