Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,675 times

Advertisements

I was invited to a holiday party and in the footnote it said, "Some gluten free items would be greatly appreciated." I want to be a good guest -- and of course the first thing I thought of was Sake!! Woo hoo!
But I don't eat gluten-free and I'm stumped. Any help out there in Foodie Land?
Thanks so much!

PS - I'm allergic to cheese... so that won't be an option.
Thanks!

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 12-05-2013 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Meat or veggie dish.

Unless you want to bake something with sorghum flour.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
Being gluten free is really not that hard. I've had to do it for my husband for 6 years now.
Veggies and dip. Chips and salsa. Crock pot Meatballs (use Corn Chex instead of Corn flakes) in chili sauce/cranberry sauce.
Is it appetizers or full meal? I would be able to give you more suggestions if you let me know that part.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,542 times
We have a certain couple over for dinner often and they are gluten free. Some things we make are a grape jelly/teriyaki glazed salmon with roasted cauliflower and broccoli and I make a side of basmati rice (contains no wheat). Appetizers are usually something like crudites with a dipping sauce, shrimp cocktail, sausage or crab stuffed mushrooms, Hummus and gluten free crackers (I pick them up at Trader Joe's). For dessert, I serve chocolates such as truffles, or chocolate covered strawberries/bananas, or something like creme brulee.

I agree with Mrs. Cool, it's not to tough once you understand the parameters.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Being gluten free is really not that hard. I've had to do it for my husband for 6 years now.
Veggies and dip. Chips and salsa. Crock pot Meatballs (use Corn Chex instead of Corn flakes) in chili sauce/cranberry sauce.
Is it appetizers or full meal? I would be able to give you more suggestions if you let me know that part.

Great suggestions. Meatballs are great, I've made them also with gluten-free bread that I made breadcrumbs out of.

Chicken, steak, veggies, all are good. Just stay away from pastas, pastries, things like that.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
deviled eggs, hummus with carrot coins & celery sticks, a big bowl of mixed olives, or one of the biggest crowd pleasers I've seen at a party --

several (smallish) cans of roasted cashews, pop the tops and set around the room so one person can't hog it all.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Salad with quinoa added, so yummy. I just had a big salad with feta cheese, kalamata olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, quinoa, Greek salad dressing, peppercinis.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Meatballs - That I can make! And I can start it in a crockpot the night before so I don't have to pay attention to it... thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
We have a certain couple over for dinner often and they are gluten free. Some things we make are a grape jelly/teriyaki glazed salmon with roasted cauliflower and broccoli and I make a side of basmati rice (contains no wheat). Appetizers are usually something like crudites with a dipping sauce, shrimp cocktail, sausage or crab stuffed mushrooms, Hummus and gluten free crackers (I pick them up at Trader Joe's). For dessert, I serve chocolates such as truffles, or chocolate covered strawberries/bananas, or something like creme brulee.

I agree with Mrs. Cool, it's not to tough once you understand the parameters.
I'm coming to your house for dinner... I'll just say I'm gluten free so you can make that for me... It sounds wonderful!!!

Thanks everyone! I think I'm set. I KNEW I could count on the foodies!!

I lurk here a lot... so thanks everyone for all your posts!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I was invited to a holiday party and in the footnote it said, "Some gluten free items would be greatly appreciated." I want to be a good guest -- and of course the first thing I thought of was Sake!! Woo hoo!
But I don't eat gluten-free and I'm stumped. Any help out there in Foodie Land?
Thanks so much!

PS - I'm allergic to cheese... so that won't be an option.
Thanks!

Just bought my daughter the "Gluten Free" bible at the Barnes & Noble bargain books section.
Looks like it has some great recipes and the price was very reasonable.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,544 times
Chilli, Panna Cotta dessert with strawberry topping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink