Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you serve the same menu for Christmas that you served for Thanksgiving?
Exactly the same menu 8 13.33%
Change the meat but same sides 6 10.00%
Keep the meat but change the sides 4 6.67%
change the entire menu altogether 42 70.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

We had Honeybaked Ham for Tday so I guess I will break down and fix a small Turkey Breast for Christmas even though I swore i wouldn't bother with any kind of turkey again. But I will have the same sides cause that is what my family wants. I serve something new at least twice a week otherwise but they don't like surprises at Christmas and T Day.

Cheese Grits Casserole
Dressing and Gravy
special green bean casserole made with fresh green beans
spinach salad with mandarin oranges, red onions and warm bacon dressing
pimento cheese stuffed celery
sweet potatoes twice baked with pecans
pumpkin pie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Used to but haven't for quite awhile. Now on Christmas we have a brunch, with sausage casserole, fresh fruit, mimosas etc. That is such a heavy meal, no one really wants a big dinner a few hours later (and that casserole is something I only make once/yr). And I sure do not want to spend my Christmas in the kitchen (especially after a mimosa or two!) We've recently taken to grilling some nice steaks or salmon, some garlic mashed potatoes and fresh steamed green beans or asparagus. Followed by pie of some sort. The pie is made earlier and the rest of the dinner requires very little in the way of cooking or cleanup. And is eaten later in the day as an evening meal, as opposed to the whole turkey or roast beef "Sunday Dinner" tradition often served midday.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
Before moving to the US I would cook a turkey for Christmas but now living here I serve turkey for Thanksgiving and serve roast lamb with roast potatoes, roasted roots (carrot, potato, rutabega and parsnip) along with steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Not forgetting of course lots of lovely thick gravy and yorkshire puddings Yummm !

Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
There's too much football on to spend any time in the kitchen!! No special meal for us!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:50 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
For Christmas, usually Ham, Prime Rib and Seafood Cioppino for Christmas with sides such as salads, vegetables, garlic mashed potatoes and several appetizers. (Fiance's portuguese family does Octopus Soup also.)

Thanksgiving is always Turkey with all the traditional sides.

Totally different menus.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Christmas Day - chili, wings

Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Was never a fan of turkey yet again on Christmas, right after Thanksgiving. I like to try something different every year at Christmas from prime rib roast, beef carbonade, fish, to goose this year.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:11 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
In my family of origin we had basically the same meal at both occasions: turkey with all the traditional sides.

My wife's family changed to having roast beef and yorkshire pudding for Christmas after they spent Christmas in England one year, and that's what they do now, so when we're with them that's what we have.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,864 times
We change up the menu, since we have four holiday celebrations.

Traditional thanksgiving menu with turkey.
Christmas eve (Noche Buena) roasted suckling pig, and Cuban sides.
Christmas day a small ham and prime rib, the sides are a little more special.
New years eve is always finger foods, and maybe some fish and black eyed peas of course the twelve grapes for the new year.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
There's too much football on to spend any time in the kitchen!! No special meal for us!
Oops...my bad. My brain jumped ahead to New Year's Day already. I guess it's from the Bowl match ups being announced yesterday.
We go to my husband's side of the family every Christmas Day, so I don't have to plan a menu. I bring what I'm told to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink