Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:48 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times

Advertisements

Down in South Carolina there's a small bottler of a ginger ale so hot that it verges on painful to drink. It's called Blenheim's, and it comes in 3 varieties. (Hot, Not as Hot, and Diet).

If I'm just looking for a casual every day ginger ale, then I like Schweppes. Canada Dy is OK, but just middle of the road boring and I like Schweppes better as a company because they make Bitter Lemon, which is awesome. (but very hard to find in Raleigh, NC)

Then there's Vernors. It's a golden, supposedly aged in oak creation. It was just pointed out to me that it's no longer called Ginger Ale on the can - it's Ginger Soda now. I like it a lot, but my wife can't stand it.

The worst ginger ale I've had was from a vendor at the fairgrounds; the trick is you buy the metal cup for $4 and get $2 refills or something. 'Uncle Willie's' or something like that. They had Orange, Cola, Diet, lemon/lime, Citrus and ginger ale. The orange was fine but the ginger ale was vile.

What do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,844 times
Default Parkway and Tom Tucker

One I used to enjoy was Parkway Ginger Ale which was bottled in or near West Jefferson, North Carolina. I'm not sure if it is still available. There was this mint flavored ginger ale that was surprisingly good under the Tom Tucker name that I tried in the metro Washington, DC area that I liked.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
There was this mint flavored ginger ale that was surprisingly good under the Tom Tucker name...
must...find...mint...ginger ale.

That sounds really good to me.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
There used to be a brand called Old Tyme that was a very spicy kind of ginger beer, very good stuff

The only thing I find locally that comes close now is Goya.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Down in South Carolina there's a small bottler of a ginger ale so hot that it verges on painful to drink. It's called Blenheim's, and it comes in 3 varieties. (Hot, Not as Hot, and Diet).

If I'm just looking for a casual every day ginger ale, then I like Schweppes. Canada Dy is OK, but just middle of the road boring and I like Schweppes better as a company because they make Bitter Lemon, which is awesome. (but very hard to find in Raleigh, NC)

Then there's Vernors. It's a golden, supposedly aged in oak creation. It was just pointed out to me that it's no longer called Ginger Ale on the can - it's Ginger Soda now. I like it a lot, but my wife can't stand it.

The worst ginger ale I've had was from a vendor at the fairgrounds; the trick is you buy the metal cup for $4 and get $2 refills or something. 'Uncle Willie's' or something like that. They had Orange, Cola, Diet, lemon/lime, Citrus and ginger ale. The orange was fine but the ginger ale was vile.

What do you like?
Vernor's, a Michigan institution, is no longer aged in oak barrels, when I was a girl you had to let it sit in the glass for 10 minutes before drinking and even then it burned your throat, brought tears to your eyes, and made you sneeze. Now that was Ginger Ale!

Stroh's Ice Cream, another Michigan institution, used to make a Vernor's ice cream, and Sander's, a Michigan candy company, used to to serve Vernor's ice cream sodas. Wow!

Try Vernor's hot for a sore throat; every true Michigander knows how comforting that is.

I saw a spot about Blenheim's and one of the Food Channel programs. Would really like to try it sometime. Sure both my husband and I would be fans.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM

I wondered about Vernors still being aged in Oak barrels. Sorta doubted it. Too bad.

Blenheims is unreal. It isn't as carbonated as Vernors, but you can't drink it fast. I can barely sip it slow and I've got a decent tolerance for spicy - some other nice things about it - only comes in glass bottles, and there's no High Fructose Corn syrup - just good old sucrose.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
You're right--Vernor's is great!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Fiery Idris Ginger Beer!

It is British so hard to find here, but "burns" the way ginger is originally "supposed to." Yum. As you can see they call it beer instead of ale. Oh well, it's all good.

http://www.britishdelights.com/prod_dr3.htm

Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 AM

431 posts, read 1,202,766 times
Here is how to make Ginger Ale.

Homemade Ginger Ale

Old 09-03-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
Here is how to make Ginger Ale.

Homemade Ginger Ale
I saw this posted to another cooking forum about a year ago and tried it; it was awesome. It doesn't taste like ginger ale exactly but it has a very crisp, light taste. That recipe says the lemon juice is optional, but I wouldn't skip it because it was a nice flavor addition.

I've been meaning to try it using brewer's yeast instead of baker's but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink