Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,850,010 times

Advertisements

I mentioned my mother's old crank four sifter I can't get rid of and I use it often.
Bought a pressure cooker about 3 years ago and I think it is still in the box.
Remember when fondue sets were the fad? found that the other day. The kids might think that is fun.

After I started this thread and read from others i decided to do a really good clean out. I'm retiring the ratting pot holders, about 10 ratty kitchen towels stuck way in the back of the cupboard (what am I saving the new ones for?)

Then I decided to bring up the cuisinart food processor which was a really big purchase for me probably 15 years ago. Who knows? I was slicing some left over roast beef when the center plastic shaft broke off in the attachment! Thunder! Probably cost an arm and leg to get it repaired but cuisinart said send it to them and threy will call with price for repair.

All this was prompted by Santa's gift of a Kitchen Aid Artisan stand mixer which is expected on Wednesday. With what we saved over retail by buying from Overstock.com and a KA $50 coupon rebate we also ordered the slicer/grinder and the juicer. So the slicer attachment will take care of what I used my food processor for but not the chopping with the blade. I do have old blender which might work. I would just feel naked without a food processor.

Have to add there is a wonderful and prolific baker on here who I contacted to ask what she uses for all her baking and cooking when I was trying to figure out the best stand mixer. Turns out she does it all by hand!. ...I felt so lazy when I read that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:46 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,806,948 times
My electric hand mixer. I hardly ever use it, but every now and then, I'll need it.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,105,873 times
My father (RIP) had a shelf in the garage he called LUKE. Little Used Kitchen Equipment.

I think I use everything I own on a fairly regular basis, really.
Three exceptions:
My Presto electric skillet, which I bought when I was having home electrical issues for a few weeks. It works very well.
A '40s or '50s era potato masher. I just keep it because it is cool.
My Vitamix. Haven't used it in a long time, but it can reduce 2x4s to sawdust, grind coffee, make flour and other tricks. It stays.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:27 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,048,974 times
I seldom use my coffee grinder these days because I haven't found a good deal on coffee beans but have been getting teriffic deals on ground coffee. I can always use it for grinding cinnamon or other spices.

My blender sits unused until someone comes for a party and wants to make some kind of mixed drink that doesn't require ice. For that I have my smoothie maker which makes the best frozen daquiris and 'ritas.

My 5 (yes 5) crock pots. When I am crocking, I need them ALL - plus the 3 small sizes.

My formal dishes - from Germany, made in the 1800s, service for 12, I loaned to my niece until one of my grandkids says they want it. We downsized and I also got rid of my service for 20 set of Pfaltzgraf. I replaced both of these with dishes made by Lenox to flow from everyday use to formal.

However, I kept every single piece of bakeware, and after 14 months, I'm still unpacking it.

I have pickle pickers and melon ballers, ice cream scoops in 3 sizes, 3 carving sets, pastry blender, KA with slicer, hand mixer, and a slicing machine. I had thrown out my old fryer and just replaced it. I also have replaced my pressure cooker I thought I didn't use enough. I will not get rid of my cast iron griddle or frying pan. They are invaluable.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM

186 posts, read 311,035 times
I dont use Custard Cups very often
The only time I ever use them is if my wife is baking.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,133,336 times
I just used my sifter today to sift dry ingredients together while making cookies it's old but I use it several times a year.

I downsized majorly 1 1/2 years ago had a glorious huge farm kitchen I used often I'm finding now things I got rid of I'm regretting big time.

Electric cookie gun don't have the space to roll out the sugar cookie dough I have in the fridge.

3 Tupperware canister sets and other large Tupperware bowls that I put holiday cookies in to store while I make up trays I take to folks.

Had a blender base that always sat on my countertop that had a mini food chopper I used just about daily. DD talked me into getting rid of 'that old clunky thing' for a new mini chopper. None chop as well as my blender base one did. I miss it terribly and threw away the new mini choppers & use a knife.

4 qt. Pressure cooker I use a lot & I am just cooking for one now mostly. I can put a roast it in & have it ready in under an hour that a person wearing false teeth could take them out eat it's so tender. Baked sweet potato in about 35 minutes and on and on. It uses less energy than cooking in my oven or stove top.

Haven't missed the china & crystal, cake plates, glass pitchers, Longaberger pottery anything or the Pampered Chef stone pieces of any kind either.

Thing I miss the most? My gas stove can't have one here and I hate electric stoves. So be careful about what y'all get rid of you may just need it down the road.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,850,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
So be careful about what y'all get rid of you may just need it down the road.
That way of thinking is exactly why I have a house and garage full of "stuff". Yes I save it all but when I need it I can't find it cause I can't remember where I put it. The proverbial "safe place" gets me every time!.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:33 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,133,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That way of thinking is exactly why I have a house and garage full of "stuff". Yes I save it all but when I need it I can't find it cause I can't remember where I put it. The proverbial "safe place" gets me every time!.
It was tough deciding what I'd part with could you put some things away for a year (make a list of items then put the list where you'll see it occasionally)if you don't use then get rid of it? Or do you need the space now?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM

373 posts, read 587,285 times
Cupcake pans (and a 30 yr old pack of cupcake liners as well). I have four cupcake pans of various sizes - shoved way way back in the cupboards, only seen when I'm packing to move. I haven't made a cupcake in probably 30 years. But I still have 'em. Wouldn't dream of throwing them out.

Oh...and a blender. Why did I ever buy that thing?

Old 12-13-2013, 10:45 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
I didn't think I had anything as I have downsized many times. BUT I have two sets of miniature muffin tins that are really old. I got them after a great aunt died, used them once. I keep thinking that someday I will make tiny cupcakes or mini muffins for some church or other group.

A set of steak knives from back when people used steak knives. Never have used them. (Who can afford steak these days?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink