U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:26 AM

36,505 posts, read 46,833,874 times

Advertisements

Santa bought me my first stand mixer after 45+ years of housekeeping. I used a little hand held for 38 years of marriage but decided I really needed a stand mixer. We got the Kitchen Aid Artisan which I really like.

But the day I decided to use it for the first time my 15 year old cuisinart food processor broke. I still have a 38 year old blender which doesn't get used very much but when I need it I NEED IT. I kept thinking I didn't need a food processor but now I'm rethinking that decision. I used it for cutting cold butter into flour mixture for biscuits, chopping all sorts of veggies for dishes and soups. The blender just isn't used for chopping.

So which do you get the most use out of? Blender or food processor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 AM

726 posts, read 1,071,077 times
I bought a Cuisinart "Smart Stick" Hand Blender which does all the tricks. I love it. Look it up.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:23 PM

25,627 posts, read 32,280,063 times
I have the cuisineart deluxe duet. Look it up.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:53 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,420,746 times
What do you make? A food processor is more versatile. But a good blender does smoothies, crushes ice. Drinks for blender.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:26 PM

13,619 posts, read 22,193,499 times
I sent our blender to college with our youngest, as I never used it. I do have a food processor, that gets brought out maybe 6-8 times a year. I love the Cruisinart stick blender! I got mine at Costco for about $20.00, and use it to make soups for the most part, but we are big soup eaters. One of my sons used it over the break to make whipped hot chocolate. It's so easy to clean, I don't miss the blender at all.

I should add, I love my KitchenAid stand mixer too. Enjoy it NK, that's a nice gift!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:28 PM

6,740 posts, read 7,260,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Santa bought me my first stand mixer after 45+ years of housekeeping. I used a little hand held for 38 years of marriage but decided I really needed a stand mixer. We got the Kitchen Aid Artisan which I really like.

But the day I decided to use it for the first time my 15 year old cuisinart food processor broke. I still have a 38 year old blender which doesn't get used very much but when I need it I NEED IT. I kept thinking I didn't need a food processor but now I'm rethinking that decision. I used it for cutting cold butter into flour mixture for biscuits, chopping all sorts of veggies for dishes and soups. The blender just isn't used for chopping.

Use your mixer! Flat paddle, to be specific, for cutting in the butter.

I have a food processor and a blender, but for veggies, I generally use a knife. Exceptions are large batches, and things like salsa. The blender is not used a tremendous amount, but it is the only tool for the job when I do use it.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:44 PM

22,982 posts, read 24,633,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I sent our blender to college with our youngest, as I never used it. I do have a food processor, that gets brought out maybe 6-8 times a year. I love the Cruisinart stick blender! I got mine at Costco for about $20.00, and use it to make soups for the most part, but we are big soup eaters. One of my sons used it over the break to make whipped hot chocolate. It's so easy to clean, I don't miss the blender at all.

I should add, I love my KitchenAid stand mixer too. Enjoy it NK, that's a nice gift!
Just got a Cuisinart stick blender for Christmas. I'd love to be rid of the blender. It takes up precious room and is a pain to clean.

I rarely use my food processor but I'm not willing to part with it. Mostly I can get by with my chopper, Kitchenaid mixer, and now the stick.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM

12,971 posts, read 24,946,075 times
Blender is designed to chop and blend liquids, food processor is designed to slice and chop solids and dry stuff.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM

994 posts, read 1,357,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMartin4 View Post
I would most certainly choose a blender if I had to choose one. You can always mimic a food processor with a good set of knives and graters.
I agree. Plus, I get more use out of blenders anyway. What is summer without healthful smoothies every day and daquiris on the weekends?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,518,606 times
IMO:

Food processor, hands down.

I left my blender behind when moving.....have NOT missed it at all. FP is a multi-function appliance, not so much for blender.

BUT... I do have an immersion blender (hand-held stick blender).

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink