Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with Tastier Crusine: Chicago Vs. New Orleans
Chicago 5 23.81%
New Orleans 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:54 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Chicago has a great deal to offer more than pizza, hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches...
I'm sure New Orleans does too, but they are noted for their Cajun. Chicago, I assume, is noted for their pizza (although I prefer NYC/NJ pizza to Chicago style -- thin crust )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,388 times
Chicago has a better variety of restaurants. There is also much more going on in the high end culinary scene in Chicago.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:27 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,807 times
From NJ and have lived in New Orleans for 6 years (for undergrad) and currently living in Chicago (relocated for work).

I'd have to say New Orleans! Some of the best cajun, creole and mexican food I have ever had. They even do burgers right! Port-of-call, Superior Grill, Cheesecake Bistro, New Orleans seafood company (for drive-thru)... A foodie's dream come true.

Chicago just doesn't compare - it's been a very average/mediocre experience at best so far. But in their defense, I have only been here since June.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
one thing about new orleans was that i felt like any restaurant i go into was going to be good. they have that french influence even in the lower end places so i dont think we had a bad meal in any place high or low end.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:35 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,840 times
New Orleans is NOT Cajun! The Cajun people are folks of French decent whom the British forced out of Acadia, in Eastern Canada. They settled in SW Louisiana, about halfway between New Orleans and Houston. New Orleans is usually considered Creole, which merely means a mix of all kinds of people. Here's a map of Louisiana with the Cajun areas in red with the strongest influence in darker red.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one thing about new orleans was that i felt like any restaurant i go into was going to be good. they have that french influence even in the lower end places so i dont think we had a bad meal in any place high or low end.
That's what it is. The French take food seriously. I still remember the tripe stew I had in Paris over fifty years ago. It was at a workmen's cafe in in fabled Les Halles. New Orleans is the same. Whether it's Oysters Rockefeller and rack of lamb at Antoine's or a Cannibal Sandwich (Steak Tartare) and pecan pie at the Camellia Grill or a simple omlette it's food prepared by men and women who love food. I don't recall eating Cajun in NO; I was too busy with other stuff. But I had wonderful Cajun in Baton Rouge and out in the bayou country. What about somethig simple like a dozen oysters at the Pearl Oyster Bar or deep-fried oysters on a a Hoagie. I'm fortunate in the winter here because one restaurant flies in oysters and clams every Friday and fries them. I've often wondered why it's only when there are no tourists here.

Interestingly, there's a restaurant in Juarez, Mexico, Martino, and another that moved from Juarez to El Paso years ago, Cafe Central, that remind me of French Louisiana food. The last time I was at Martino it was almost empty and I was the only American in the place. People were afraid to go to Juarez; but I went twice in three days. Those two restaurants, particularly Martino, do what the Louisiana French do. They use French methods and local ingredients.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's what it is. The French take food seriously. I still remember the tripe stew I had in Paris over fifty years ago. It was at a workmen's cafe in in fabled Les Halles. New Orleans is the same. Whether it's Oysters Rockefeller and rack of lamb at Antoine's or a Cannibal Sandwich (Steak Tartare) and pecan pie at the Camellia Grill or a simple omlette it's food prepared by men and women who love food. I don't recall eating Cajun in NO; I was too busy with other stuff. But I had wonderful Cajun in Baton Rouge and out in the bayou country. What about somethig simple like a dozen oysters at the Pearl Oyster Bar or deep-fried oysters on a a Hoagie. I'm fortunate in the winter here because one restaurant flies in oysters and clams every Friday and fries them. I've often wondered why it's only when there are no tourists here.

Interestingly, there's a restaurant in Juarez, Mexico, Martino, and another that moved from Juarez to El Paso years ago, Cafe Central, that remind me of French Louisiana food. The last time I was at Martino it was almost empty and I was the only American in the place. People were afraid to go to Juarez; but I went twice in three days. Those two restaurants, particularly Martino, do what the Louisiana French do. They use French methods and local ingredients.
That they do. Food is a religion. I live in a French milieu and the food here is freaking amazing.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Yes, New Orleans has great restaurants however you can't just limit Chicago to Deep Dish and NO to Cajun. Went to Irene's Cuisine (Italian) and several great seafood places (not all Cajun). btw: Deep dish originated in Chicago (and I do love it) but Chicago always had thin crust too.
Yep, this...

Quote:
Which child do you like better.

Both are outstanding food cities. Seafood-New Orleans, Meat-Chicago. I love both of them.
and this,

Quote:
Chicago has a great deal to offer more than pizza, hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches...
Yes, as they are certainly very well known for their beef sanwiches, their hot dogs, and their pizza but there is a whole lot more variety to Chicago (as well as New Orleans as baileyvpotter has already mentioned) to just "box in" their food choices in that manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Chicago has a better variety of restaurants. There is also much more going on in the high end culinary scene in Chicago.
French, Italian, Polish, Greek, Mexican, Nepalese and Indian, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian, American Contemporary, Soul Food, Seafood, Steaks, Bohemian and Czech, Global/Fusion, Cuban, Brazillian Steak Houses, Sweedish, Ukranian, Vietnamese, and let us not forget to mention Chinatown and all the mom and pop eateries all over the city and suburbs.

Enough said, except I am positive that there are some ethnic establishments missed on my part but this post has already been long enough as it was.

Best ethnic cuisine across Chicago suburbs - Chicago dining | Examiner.com

Btw, I did not vote as I truly enjoy the food of both Chicago and New Orleans and did not feel it was fair to either city...they are both very excellent foodie cities.

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...

Old 01-01-2014, 05:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
When I want Cajun cooking, I head on over to a number of small Louisiana towns - Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, Abbeville. St. Martinville, etc.

Chicago has a much wider variety of cuisines that New Orleans, especially with some of the newer high end cuisine. For anyone who even wants to debate, go spend some time over at LTHforum which focuses on Chicago food (with pictures).

Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,050 times
I've always said that if I lived in either Chicago or New Orleans, I'd weigh 500 pounds...

Think I've gotta go with New Orleans here.

And yes, I know that Chicago is more than just deep-dish pizza, but dang, I do love some deep-dish. My favorite kind of pizza, by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink