Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times

Advertisements

I had to go to an Applebee's yesterday with a group, no choice in the matter. The server introduced herself and then asked for each of our names. What the hell? I don't want to be your friend. And as the service played out, names were never used again.

I figure somebody here must have worked for this crappy chain at some point and can explain the reasoning behind this intrusive type of service and why they'd ask for our first names.

It wasn't just the name. It's that she came back 5 or 6 times to ask how things were, the first three times while we were still waiting for our food to arrive. And she ignored one of the group, served cold coffee and forgot to bring silverware.

Taken in total, I found the service exceedingly intrusive in addition to just being poor. We left a $10 tip on an $82 bill and I felt that was even too much. And I'm normally a 20% pre-tax tipper for average service.

Additionally, when I have to go to an Applebee's/TGIF/Chilis type of chain I'll pick something that's pretty basic and hard to screw up. Yesterday that was a club sandwich. Yet it was awful because they put overly sweet honey mustard on the thing - my fault as I didn't fully read the description (but who puts honey mustard on a club?)

Anyway, it was just an awful experience. What do people see in this place?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Stuff happens, sometimes you get great food and service, sometimes you do not...use your consumer power however you want.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Stuff happens, sometimes you get great food and service, sometimes you do not...use your consumer power however you want.
True. But this style of "service" - asking for customers' first names, multiple table visits for the sake of multiple table visits - nothing more - certainly seems to be institutionalized for this particular chain. So it doesn't appear to me to be "an off day" that can be written off. It's part of the system, culture and training.

Why? Who likes that?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I've dined in Applebees many times and the server has never asked for my name or anyone's name who is with me. Hard to imagine it happening. I think your situation is or was an isolated case, not at all a part of their system.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I had to go to an Applebee's yesterday with a group, no choice in the matter. The server introduced herself and then asked for each of our names. What the hell? I don't want to be your friend. And as the service played out, names were never used again.

I figure somebody here must have worked for this crappy chain at some point and can explain the reasoning behind this intrusive type of service and why they'd ask for our first names.

It wasn't just the name. It's that she came back 5 or 6 times to ask how things were, the first three times while we were still waiting for our food to arrive. And she ignored one of the group, served cold coffee and forgot to bring silverware.

Taken in total, I found the service exceedingly intrusive in addition to just being poor. We left a $10 tip on an $82 bill and I felt that was even too much. And I'm normally a 20% pre-tax tipper for average service.

Additionally, when I have to go to an Applebee's/TGIF/Chilis type of chain I'll pick something that's pretty basic and hard to screw up. Yesterday that was a club sandwich. Yet it was awful because they put overly sweet honey mustard on the thing - my fault as I didn't fully read the description (but who puts honey mustard on a club?)

Anyway, it was just an awful experience. What do people see in this place?
Just a bad experience. I have been to Applebee's many times, And the server introduces themselves but usually does not ask for names. It's possible due to the group she was trying to match the name with the order for each person. For the person she ignored: Did they give her a hard time or hit on her? I'm serious.

My take on Applebee's: It's just an American chain restaurant. Casual, reasonably priced (except for Manhattan LOL) and a place to maybe grab beer and wings with a buddy.For this purpose it fits the bill. No more no less. Service should be excellent in any food establishment but I don't expect the Four Seasons or the Ritz when I go-Which is maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I usually avoid Applebee's. I've seen a lot of places that serve honey mustard on club sandwiches though. That doesn't seem unusual to me, but asking for everyone's name at the table does.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Read the menu more thoroughly next time and stop complaining. Problem solved.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
We have given Applebees many "second" chances over the years, thinking they might have changed for the better. No such luck. The first 3 times we went the food was on the very skimpy side. When I leave a restaurant hungry, that rings a bell and I am not a huge eater. The next time we went the service was horrible. There are so many local and chain restaurants here that I will not be going again to our local Applebees. However I'm sure there are many good ones in other places. We tried one on Cape Cod it was 100% better than our local one.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
Every time I go to any national chain restaurant, I wind up annoyed by how much I've spent relative to the quality of the food and experience. I've never been asked for my name in any of these restaurants, however. That is weird.

The last time I ate at Applebees (Two years ago? I think so.), I ordered some sort of "Cajun skillet" style dish with chicken and shrimp -- the description sounded pretty good, so I took a chance even though I try to stick to more basic things at chains. The meal was an oily, salty mess. SO oily, and salty even past my very high salt tolerance. Yuck. Thinking about this meal brought some sort of flashback to my tastebuds, and now I need a salad or something.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Unless you are paying top dollar, and I mean top dollar, having expectations for anything other than a minimum wage meal is absurd.

If you want a good EXPERIENCE, cook it yourself, or go large. Very large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink