Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:11 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times

Advertisements

I don't get what the beef is with veal. (hehe! Yes, I see what I did there.) I mean, veal is technically young beef. And if cows are raised on a factory farm, wouldn't veal be slightly more humane, considering how veal spends less time living in bad conditions than beef does? And gets fed better too, I'm sure.

With that said, veal is not common in Americanized Italian restaurants, whether basic or upscale. But I do see it pretty regularly in authentic Italian restaurants. Not so much in the form of parmigiana (where the meat flavor is drowned out by other components), but more often meatballs, ravioli, and stews. Presumably, in the old country, with limited grazing land and expensive feed, it was more cost-effective to not let a cow grow to adulthood. Which made veal popular.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-11-2019 at 09:24 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Years ago after reading how the expensive pale looking veal came to be like that I never touched it again.
I read that in the 1970s and never ate it again -- except for that one bite in Germany in the 1980s. I felt sort of guilty about that, but I hadn't ordered it.

To me, veal isn't something that you'd want to put tomato sauce and cheese on.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I don't get what the beef is with veal. (hehe! Yes, I see what I did there.) I mean, veal is technically young beef. And if cows are raised on a factory farm, wouldn't veal be slightly more humane, considering how veal spends less time living in bad conditions than beef does? (And it tastes pretty good too.)

With that said, veal is not common in Americanized Italian restaurants, whether basic or upscale. But I do see it pretty regularly in authentic Italian restaurants. Not so much in the form of parmigiana, but more often meatballs, ravioli, and stews. Presumably, in the old country, with limited grazing land and expensive feed, it was more cost-effective to not let a cow grow to adulthood. Which made veal popular.
Virtually all veal raised in the USA are male calves of dairy cows. Since the cows must be bred regularly to keep up milk production almost all the male offspring are sent to veal production with a small number kept for breeding purposes. They are not genetically disposed to produce large amounts of high quality beef like an angus would be, for instance but make good veal. The females remain in the dairy industry.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Maybe people are more aware now of the cruelty involved with veal. And that's a good thing.

I saw a documentary a long time ago on how veal was created, and even though I’m not vegetarian, I was never able to eat veal again.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:46 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I saw a documentary a long time ago on how veal was created, and even though I’m not vegetarian, I was never able to eat veal again.
Most factory-farmed animals are raised in inhumane conditions, no doubt. But how is veal cruelty worse than beef cruelty? It's the same animal, similarly raised. If it's because the animal is younger, it actually spends less time living in those conditions.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:23 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Yes, I read the whole thread.

I also read the New York Times article that you linked. Did you actually read that article? If so, I'm assuming you must have missed this part:

"A few other small veal farms use this method, also called pasture-raised, but Strauss is the only major player. It produces about 5 percent of its veal this way."

So, 5% is produced humanely while 95% is still produced inhumanely.

I'll pass. Thanks.
So you'll pass on supporting the 5% who are in order to punish the 95% who aren't? Great policy!

Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Most factory-farmed animals are raised in inhumane conditions, no doubt. But how is veal cruelty worse than beef cruelty? It's the same animal, similarly raised. If it's because the animal is younger, it actually spends less time living in those conditions.
Agreed - however the cages were fairly cruel which is why they were banned in many countries.

Home reared veal such as Rose Veal is now the more popular and ethical option for those that want to eat veal, it's white veal that is seen as unethical and cruel.

"White veal" is basically a marketing term used to identify the meat from milk-fed, very young calves. Because the calf is very young, it has not had the opportunity to exercise its muscles. Its milk diet is low in iron, too, which affects the production of hemoglobin and myoglobin, the pigment that makes meat red.

British veal poised for an 'ethical' comeback | Environment | The Guardian

Calf's liver and bacon is another traditional dish, indeed there has been an increase in calf's liver over recent decades, although they are now Rose Veal rather than White Veal.

In the end, it's up to your own personal choice in relation as to what you wish to eat, however animal welfare standards are important, just as hygiene standards are.

Veal, without the cruelty | Food | The Guardian

M&S bans cruel white veal and calves' liver | Compassion in World Farming

Old 02-12-2019, 09:02 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
I had to look to see what ortolans were. A tiny bird. Extremely cruel - Hannibal Lector would be proud.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
An aside. This is a fairly charged issue to discuss and once again I've got to say it's one of the things I like about hanging out with people who craft with fabric, people who grow plants and people who love to cook and eat.

It's something I noticed quite a while ago - in general these groups of people are able to have live-and-let-live conversations without a lot of judging. (I'm going to say something sappy now.) I suspect that the reason is that we are lovers.

The food forum - a good place to be.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:59 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
An aside. This is a fairly charged issue to discuss and once again I've got to say it's one of the things I like about hanging out with people who craft with fabric, people who grow plants and people who love to cook and eat.

It's something I noticed quite a while ago - in general these groups of people are able to have live-and-let-live conversations without a lot of judging. (I'm going to say something sappy now.) I suspect that the reason is that we are lovers.

The food forum - a good place to be.

Interesting, Lodestar. Can't say I'm crafty, but I adore horticulture and eating and cooking food. Yes, lovers of the right things in the world. Can we add nature/animal lovers??

As far as veal parm, I don't eat veal but chicken and eggplant parm will never be off my entree list...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink