Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
Got this weird thing where I have to watch something while eating for some reason. It's not as bad as it used to be but I still 'need' to watch something good on TV to eat, I don't know why. And about the only greens I'll eat are bell peppers and broccoli. I will just sit and eat an entire, what do you call it of broccoli by itself. Love that stuff.

That is a good idea with the lettuce and tortillas making wraps. Could do that with really any meat right, pork, seafood, chicken, etc.

So far you are doing quite well with the broccoli. Keep up the good work. Look far and wide for other fruits and vegetables that you like in addition to peppers. Thirty years from now you will be happy you ate a lot of broccoli.

Yes, you can substitute any kind of meat in wraps or sauces. You could even use tofu instead of meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Quote:
And about the only greens I'll eat are bell peppers and broccoli.
Quote:
Maybe that's just me watching way to many cooking shows and just wanting fresh foods over frozen.
To be honest, these two statements feel rather contradictory to me.

Quote:
I need to change that habit of waiting til the last minute to cook food.
It seems in this thread you've identified a number of habits that could use changing. If you put some effort into changing these habits and overcoming some of these idiosyncrasies, you'll find it will be MUCH easier to shop/cook/eat solo.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
I have some of those same eating habits. I'll have coffee in the morning and then can't decide what to eat for lunch and I'll go until I am almost falling out from lack of food. I eat about 2 or 3 in the afternoon and then maybe a late night bowl of cereal.

I've just decided that this is the way I am and go with it. I could live on eggs, cereal and turkey sandwiches. I do eat fruit and lots of salad type fixings.

I do not live alone and do cook, but then I don't want to eat what I've made. I like the cooking part and will eat some, but most just ends up sitting in the fridge. Don't do this all the time. My other half isn't a big eater either. He eats one main meal a day.

Just make simple things. There are more people out there with "weird" eating habits than you think. Anderson Cooper eats the same thing for lunch every single day. I spend more money on food for my pets than I do for us!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,682 times
Quote:
BTW, I have all non-stick pans, but I also use either cooking spray or butter as well.

I've tried frozen foods and it's just nasty to me. Maybe that's just me watching way to many cooking shows and just wanting fresh foods over frozen. And the only bad thing about freezing unused portions is I tend to wait til I'm starving and getting the shakes before I cook/eat something. So I usually barely make it through the cooking process without passing out. I need to change that habit of waiting til the last minute to cook food. Which is why I'm partly posting here for advice.

That is a good idea with the lettuce and tortillas making wraps. Could do that with really any meat right, pork, seafood, chicken, etc.
I'm not a fan of frozen foods either; they don't taste the same as fresh. You could always buy fresh, portion it out and put it in the freezer.

I use to wait until the last minute and I hate defrosting my food in the microwave, I had to make an effort to take something out the night before so it can thaw out. So, once I get home from work all I have to do is cook. You can also search online for 30 minute meals. Baked fish should take less than 1/2 hour to make. You can make enough and have fish tacos with the tortillas the next day for lunch!

Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM

912 posts, read 1,524,228 times
Find some recipes you like -- allrecipes.com is a great place to start, but it can be a little intimidating. You can sort by meal type, ingredients, etc. Many dishes freeze very well -- go buy some Hefty slider freezer bags in the Quart size and freeze extra portions flat in those bags, writing on the bag the name of the dish and the date. That way, you have "leftovers" but you can save them for the next week or however long it takes to feel like you're eating a new dish again.

Also -- the first step to being a good cook is accepting that you will screw some stuff up and it's not going to be the end of the world. I'm a fairly good cook and I still have mistakes in the kitchen -- stuff burns at the edges, doesn't roast properly, whatever. I figure out how to salvage it, learn from the mistake, and move along with my life.

If you like meat, the good news is that most grocery stores have pretty decent sales on different meats each week -- get your preferred grocery's circular and find out what's on offer this week. Look up recipes with whatever's on sale. If you have to buy a larger portion than you need, don't be afraid to freeze it for later use.

As far as cutting down on eating out -- a previous suggestion of a small cooler and ice packs is a good one. My husband has very limited fridge space at his office, so he periodically resorts to this as well and it works just fine.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Maybe you would do better if you took a cooking class or two or found a cooking buddy to cook in bulk with. Set aside one sunday every month to use a slow cooker for BBQ pork or a great roast. I do this all the time but I have a family. I don't consider these leftovers. It is called cooking ahead for busy nights. most homemakers do it. Slow cookers are terrific.

Eating out frequently is a huge drain on finances and will fatten up even the most active person. Empty calories and added sugars and extra grease are hallmarks of eating out. You just may have to work on your attitude about cooking in bulk and freezing. And you are right- frozen meals from the grocery store are gross and rarely healthy.

Actually it is very common for single people to eat in front of the TV. A lot of people with families do it too. I understand what you are saying. Do you have DVR? Save your favorite shows for netflix or dvr if you feel you have to have something to watch on TV.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
I forgot to answer your original question. I've noticed that fast convenience stores like filing station markets and 7-11 tend to have more single serve portions. But you do realize these are extra expensive don't you. I personally would find somebody to share a grocery list with- a neighbor or friend or co worker in the same situation.

It takes a bit of planning but it can be done. Either sit down together with the store sale flyer and decide which products would fit your menus for the week. If roasts are on sale decide to buy no bigger than 3 or 4 lbs and divide it when you get home. or the butcher will cut it for you. Same with hamburger. If you think l lb is too much for you go in 1/2. Same for bag of potatoes or apples or carrots.

Learn how to freeze veggies (most need to be blanched first) and fruits and even dairy. Milk and cheese can be frozen. Cream cheese not so much. Single people have been grocery shopping and cooking for themselves since the beginning of time so you can do it successfully as well.

ETA: some great suggestions in this thread
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...d-cooking.html

Last edited by no kudzu; 01-13-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
I call b.s. You say you eat out now ... at fast food places. Yet you complain about frozen or prepared food you cook at home because it's "foul?" Food at fast food places is just as foul as frozen foods you can cook at home ... it was all frozen, too.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,244,690 times
Bryce I see that you live in Raleigh. You have a wealth of markets there. When the Farmer's Market opens up in Spring take a walk there and pick up as many varieties of vegetables you can. You like pepper & broccolini . You are off to a good start. Buy 2 bottles of wine, a dry white & a red, (never wines that are labeled cooking) you don't want to cook or drink anything like those.

By using some olive oil and reducing wine to a sauce you can turn vegetables into a matter of minutes into a lovely side dish. Saute garlic & onions to add to the mix.

Whole Foods & The Fresh Market (also BJ's) have Rotisserie Chickens that make for a great meal & to pack sandwiches for work. The leftovers are wonderful for soup or stocks.

There are some very good recipes right here on the Forum for you.

Think about some of the food you liked when you were younger and re-introduce them into your meal planning today.

Ask questions about some different recipes and I know you will get good answers. kelsie

Old 01-14-2014, 11:34 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Looking at OP's other posts there is more involved then just food. Work hours, medical issues, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink