Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times

Advertisements

Close to every day, depending on my mood for cooking. I almost always have potatoes of some kind with my home-cooked meals. But then I go through phases when I eat almost nothing but salads. Lately, probably every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
How many times a week do you eat potatoes? I'd say once a week. Usually just baked in the microwave. It's a quick and cheap, nutritious meal. How about you?
Frist of all, to me, baked in the micro isn't baked at all; they are simple cooked with the skins on them. Now, how many times to we eat them in a week? Probably 1 plus. We usually will have mashed or baked once, maybe just boiled, maybe roasted and we do have sweet potatoes about once every few weeks. this isn't counting having some for breakfast on the weekends or the occasional time I have fries plus I put potatoes, maybe just one in soups, especially split pea. I guess rethinking it, I probably have them closer to twice a week considering all forms.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:13 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
How many times a week do you eat potatoes? I'd say once a week. Usually just baked in the microwave. It's a quick and cheap, nutritious meal. How about you?
I used to eat potatoes few times a week. Nowadays I rarely eat potatoes at all.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,759 times
On average, about once per week. Sometimes roasted in the oven with some garlic, sometimes made into baked potato skins with assorted toppings, sometimes mashed...rarely just a plain baked potato. I don't much care for those, unless there's so much butter and salt on them that it sort of defeats the point.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:48 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I'd say I eat potatoes ones every few days, usually fingerling or baby potatoes. I like to cut them into cubes and place them in aluminum foil with garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I close the foil and leave just a little bit of room for air to escape. I then place them in the oven until they're nice and soft.

Currently, my favorite thing to do is roast them in the oven and put them in breakfast burritos. After I make bacon in the oven, I'll toss the potatoes in some of the grease and add onions, garlic, salsa, and cayenne and bake it until golden brown. So good.
you are making me hungry. Thanks for sharing. I personally eat once a week because they are fattening. But delish... New year resolution: do the glycemic index for a month. potatoes have high glycemic index.

I usually make them Greek style but cheat to make them healthier: I bake whole potatoes a bit, say 5 min, then take them out, cube them, pour oil, salt and paper over them, and mix them up with clean hands in a tray with aluminum foil than bake. Another way is to slice them really thin, slice an onion really thin and bake it toghether with oil in aluminum foil.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
once or twice a week and I make them different ways.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,661 times
I could live on potatoes. Mashed, boiled, fried, potato salad. Baking potatoes, new potatoes, red skinned potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, can't do without them. We have a T-Fal Acti-fry now so we are enjoying French fries with much less oil. I was surprised at the quality. But my favorite way to have potatoes is either mashed, or new potatoes boiled and served with a dollop of mayonnaise and chives.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:49 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinska View Post
I eat potatoes daily. It's been at least six a day, lately -- that's how many I ate today. At breakfast I had hashbrowns and a fruit salad. (I ate a normal sandwich and apple for lunch.) Later, I had two smaller, steamed seasoned ones eaten cold as an afternoon snack. Lastly, I had two baked up as wedges at dinner (served with a hot pepper sauce) and a huge mixed green salad with a tahini based dressing.

I do run, so I need the fuel, but they are good for you. I cook them pretty much every way, except without cooking them in fat or oil. I rarely put any oily sauces or dressings on them as they really soak it up, but sometimes I'll put guacamole on my baked fries. I eat every color/kind. They're really inexpensive and I don't seem to tire of them.

One of my favorite ways to serve them is to mash up the yukon golds with some millet. Very buttery tasting and a neat texture contrast.

I've been cooking them up in yellow split pea dal this winter -- usually I'd just leave the dal plain, but I've been making it more Japanese curry style lately for some variety.
I think you're overdosing a bit on spuds there buddy! Six a day? lol

Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
I eat them 4-6 times a week, usually boiled or roasted but other ways too when I feel like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I'd say I eat potatoes ones every few days, usually fingerling or baby potatoes. I like to cut them into cubes and place them in aluminum foil with garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I close the foil and leave just a little bit of room for air to escape. I then place them in the oven until they're nice and soft.
Mmm that sounds delicious, might have to try that next time I get rosemary.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
5 times a week. We sometimes have pasta, but hardly ever rice, so potatoes and a vegetable are almost always part of the trifecta. Mashed, roasted, baked or scalloped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink