U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 AM

11,033 posts, read 22,611,957 times

Advertisements

No Pizza Huts near here, so I guess we won't. Not that we would if they were nearby, either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 6,850,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
If I can get an entire decent large pizza from my local pizzeria for $5-$8, there's no way I'm paying $3 for a mediocre slice of za from Pizza Hut. They need to lower the price a scoach. It can't be any more than 2 bucks and should be more like $1 if they want to attract the budget consumer (similar to the dollar menu at other fast food places). Of course, it's still the number 1 pizza chain in the world, so people will buy these slices. I just won't be one of them.

We get a 14" Little Caeser's Hot-N-Ready for $5.00. Nobody in my family can get by on only ONE slice of pizza anyway.

For eat-in, a local pizzeria has an all-you-can eat pizza buffet for only $4.99 on Mondays and Tuesdays. Several different kinds - superior to Pizza Hut, in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 AM
bjh

52,379 posts, read 28,377,986 times
They're gonna need a bigger slice.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,453,956 times
I would spend maybe $2-2.50 if they made it a REALLY large slice with toppings or gourmet extras of some kind. And it would have to be fresh and quick without any upsell gimmicks. This is why Chipotle is so successful- the ingredients are good for what you pay and they get you in and out fast. They might ask if you want a drink or chips but never press on it. But truthfully, the main reason I would not buy from them is because it's just bad pizza.

It actually astounds me that places like this and Domino's stay in business, seeing that there are so many better options out there. It must be a brand loyalty thing by people who don't know good food. You have to give people some sort of unique value in this market and I just don't see how they offer it, which explains the struggle in part. Little Caesar's pizza is not that good, but they marketed the $5 concept and executed it better than anyone else. $3 for a slice feels like the exact opposite of good value. I can get a slice of cheese pizza that is a million times better down the block for $1.25, a mom-and-pop place where I can feel good going knowing I'm supporting my local community. I'd rather roll up and die before I gave my money to those corporate douchebags, especially knowing what terrible ingredients they use and how badly they rip off their customers. Never easily trust a food establishment controlled by shareholders instead of regular working people.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 01-15-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM

18,840 posts, read 35,958,876 times
I was thinking about this last night, where I live, the population is 25,000, there are THREE Pizza Huts, and altogether, 12 places in town that sell pizza, including the three Pizza Hut locations. Three are local places, the rest are chains.

None of the Pizza Hut locations are in an area for high volume, nor are they set up like fast food, drive up.

There was a place by the University of Miami, that had about 12 pizzas, all upscale gourmet ingredients, you could go there any time between 10 am and 12 am, and get huge slices of pizza, they cut them into squares, for about $4.00. One slice was a meal, because it was usually loaded...same type of place by the University of Utah, the Pie.

Where Pizza Hut will fail on this, is that INMO, the locations I have seen are not pedestrian friendly. Maybe those two locations are...and unless they sell high volume, the slices will be old, not fresh, and tjhey probably will not have upscale pies.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,874,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ10 View Post
Everytime I drive past my local Pizza Hut it is dead inside. WHo will visit there for a pizza slice? Especially in consideration here (and other places I'm sure) because a Little Caesars is a 1/4 mile down the road and you get a whole pizza for $5?
I'd eat PH and pay a mint for it long before I would eat Little Sleazers. UGH! I used to eat that crap back in the 90's before I knew what decent food was, and their quality (what there was to speak of) has gone down the crapper. I was at a party last year that was serving their pizza. I took one bite and tossed the rest. There's a reason a whole pizza is $5. And that's overpriced.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM

9,781 posts, read 19,544,376 times
Way too steep, especially in America...they'd have to be pretty damn big slices. Even here one can easily find slices for less than $2, big ones too. In NYC city it's easy to find $1 slices. It generally isn't great, but probably better than Pizza Hut in America. I haven't had pizza hut in years, Dominos is better. Dominos used to be horrible here but I have to admit they've improved quite a bit, even though I consider myself a pizza snob who favours more 'authentic' trattorias (who aren't always good). $1 a slice or something sounds more like it. Even in Australia on Tuesday you can get a large pizza for as cheap as $4.95 from Domino's!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 22,774,468 times
well seeing as how I cut pizza out of my diet a long time ago for obvious reasons , I would never pay 3 bucks a slice from pizza hut . A good pizza like good ole silician style pizza from a home town joint yes maybe , but definately not pizza hut .

Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,485,286 times
I think it'll work where I am. Young folks love pizza, but they're usually strapped for cash and don't want to fork over $8 to $15 for whole pie. But I think they will have to re-configure some of their restaurants so you can walk up to a window and buy a slice, the way you can buy say, a hot dog from a vendor with a cart.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM

60 posts, read 143,748 times
Growing up I paid about $3 per slice from a Chicago style pizza place near my house.

IT WAS GOOD.

That was years and years ago and I still have memories of how good that pizza was --- walk up window and everything.

Pizza Hut? They will never make a slice for $3 that is nearly as good as that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink