Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I cook everything organic & from scratch, normally gourmet... however, my ultimate meal is always the same:

Homemade Irish stew, served on top of hot homemade bread
Fresh corn with homemade butter & Celtic sea salt
Red leaf lettuce with oil/fresh lemon/sea salt (I like 1 veggie 'salads')
Pint o' Guinness... room temp, of course... I am civilized, after all

No dessert... I don't like sugar
No appetizers... I never have the room for them
Before or after dinner: 2 glasses Ty Nant Welsh mineral water

If I could only eat 1 meal forever, this would be it.

I had to do a search for the difference between "gourmet" and "regular" food because I really did not know where the defining line was.
So I looked it up and who knew, I've been cooking "gourmet regular food" all these years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Seafood fettuccini alfredo, preferably with giant scallops barely cooked...yum!

Sourdough bread warm with butter.

If I have to have an appetizer, oysters on the half shell...gimme 12, none of this 1/2 dozen business!

Wine: Gewurtztraminer

Dessert? Hmmmm. Usually too full. Just give me more wine

Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
The best meals I ever ate in my life were enjoyed at The Common Plea, a restaurant on Ross Street near the courthouse in downtown Pittsburgh, PA. I read with regret that it closed last year. But I'll never forget a meal of fettuccine with clam sauce. With it, I'd need some tasty Italian bread to sop up the sauce and a side Caesar salad. If I may have an appetizer, make it something with crab meat.

The Common Plea was the first place, as a youngish diner, I ever encountered a cheese and fruit tray served at the end of the meal. I thought that was the definition of swank. Later I went to Europe and found it to be not uncommon there. But still lovely, especially if followed by a good espresso.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, if we are doing ultimate, that's different than comfort food, I guess.

Let's see, dig a pit big enough to drop a small Chevy truck into. Put a couple feet of nice blue lava rocks into it, top that with a couple feet of firewood. Pop the first keg and start the fire. Don't forget to alert the fire department first. When it's down to coals, layer in some banana tree trunks, then a layer of banana leaves. While you've been waiting for the coals to get ready, there should have been a pig prepared. Whole cleaned pig, about a hundred pounds plus or minus, rubbed with rock salt, wrapped in banana leaves, then ti leaves then held together with chicken wire that has some handy handles worked into it. Put the pig in the hole on top of the banana stalks and leaves. Since you forgot to call the fire department first and the first keg is still going, you should have a lot of help for getting the pig into the pit. Although fifty or sixty of your family and favorite friends should already be around by now. So, get the pig in the pit, add in however many laulau, prepared turkeys, about a hundred pounds of sweet potatoes up near the top and everything else everyone brought for the imu (that's the official name for the cooking pit). Then layer with more banana leaves, ti leaves, a canvas tarp and a layer of dirt. Hang out, play ukulele, nibble on all the papayas, pineapples, macadamia nuts, and everything else everyone brought. Do that for about four to six hours, then take the pig and everything else out of the pit. By this time, there are several tables set up in the yard loaded with food down the length of them. Carve the pig and let everyone fill plates. More ukulele, more hula, maybe even the second keg, nibble on more stuff, etc. etc. This can last for several days and there will still be loads of food for everyone to take a plate of food home with them.

Somehow, though, we need to work in creme brulee if this is gonna be an ultimate meal.

Uhh,uhh, invite me!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 AM

109 posts, read 325,530 times
Mom's stuffed peppers cooked in olive oil, chopped liver and bulgur (cracked wheat) with her red onion salad and pistachio baklava for desert after meal with hot tea.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM

109 posts, read 325,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, if we are doing ultimate, that's different than comfort food, I guess.

Let's see, dig a pit big enough to drop a small Chevy truck into. Put a couple feet of nice blue lava rocks into it, top that with a couple feet of firewood. Pop the first keg and start the fire. Don't forget to alert the fire department first. When it's down to coals, layer in some banana tree trunks, then a layer of banana leaves. While you've been waiting for the coals to get ready, there should have been a pig prepared. Whole cleaned pig, about a hundred pounds plus or minus, rubbed with rock salt, wrapped in banana leaves, then ti leaves then held together with chicken wire that has some handy handles worked into it. Put the pig in the hole on top of the banana stalks and leaves. Since you forgot to call the fire department first and the first keg is still going, you should have a lot of help for getting the pig into the pit. Although fifty or sixty of your family and favorite friends should already be around by now. So, get the pig in the pit, add in however many laulau, prepared turkeys, about a hundred pounds of sweet potatoes up near the top and everything else everyone brought for the imu (that's the official name for the cooking pit). Then layer with more banana leaves, ti leaves, a canvas tarp and a layer of dirt. Hang out, play ukulele, nibble on all the papayas, pineapples, macadamia nuts, and everything else everyone brought. Do that for about four to six hours, then take the pig and everything else out of the pit. By this time, there are several tables set up in the yard loaded with food down the length of them. Carve the pig and let everyone fill plates. More ukulele, more hula, maybe even the second keg, nibble on more stuff, etc. etc. This can last for several days and there will still be loads of food for everyone to take a plate of food home with them.

Somehow, though, we need to work in creme brulee if this is gonna be an ultimate meal.

For some reason this sounds to me like a party version of Lord of the Flies.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Appetize me with Spanakopita!
Rack of lamb, prepared with Greek seasonings on a grill or open fire
Saffron rice Or:
Baby red potatoes prepared with garlic, a bit of olive oil, rosemary then mashed and sautéed in a frying pan,
Warm lavash bread
Ice-cold crisp garden salad with Greek vinaigrette.
Top it off with a terrific slightly sweet red wine and some kind of light fluffy lemon dessert. (a tart, a sliver of cheesecake, a sliver of pie..I don't care)
Coffee

Serve it to me on the veranda or balcony of some beautiful place by candlelight where I can see the twinkling stars against an indigo sky as I dine.

If you have a spare interesting hunk sitting around who is fun and an excellent conversationalist, I would love to share this meal with him!

Mmm. Magical. The fantasy is delightful!

Last edited by laorbust61; 01-15-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
Ultimate? So if my stomach's capacity and calories weren't an issue?

Let me see...

Individual sized portions of: hummus & baba ghanoush with fresh baked pita, tabbouleh, fresh and chunky guacamole with salty tortilla chips.

A dinner salad with homemade ranch, like in a nice steakhouse. I am a sucker for ranch dressing like that.

She-crab soup

And speaking of steakhouse, a medium-rare ribeye with a nice crust, served alongside some king crab legs and some yellowtail sashimi. Could we also toss in some saag paneer on the side? Yum.

No dessert, because I'm not a dessert person, but all washed down with some nice chardonnay.

None of it really goes together, but who cares? All of it sounds amazing.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
If money was no issue and I could have anything in the world, I think I would start with a really top of the line Martini. Then I would choose a good appetizer, probably a good shrimp cocktail, followed by a Cesar Salad. Then my entrée would be Alaskan King Crab legs, cracked so they would be easy to eat. I would skip the dessert, but I would want my wine.

Now, other favorites, if I wasn't really too hungry: a good steak and baked potato or a really great frenc dip sandwich and they are hard to find.

Our favorite all time restaurant was Housners in Baltimore. I think that was the name of it; It is long gone now.

Spoiled brat is having his all time favorite tonight: speg and meat balls right from our own kitchen.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Ultimate? So if my stomach's capacity and calories weren't an issue?

Let me see...

Individual sized portions of: hummus & baba ghanoush with fresh baked pita, tabbouleh, fresh and chunky guacamole with salty tortilla chips.

A dinner salad with homemade ranch, like in a nice steakhouse. I am a sucker for ranch dressing like that.

She-crab soup

And speaking of steakhouse, a medium-rare ribeye with a nice crust, served alongside some king crab legs and some yellowtail sashimi. Could we also toss in some saag paneer on the side? Yum.

No dessert, because I'm not a dessert person, but all washed down with some nice chardonnay.

None of it really goes together, but who cares? All of it sounds amazing.

Surf and Turf (seafood and steak) does go together..and yes, it sounds amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink