Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you eat your pizza? And do you eat the crust?
With hands as is, crust last 84 63.16%
With hands as is, crust first 7 5.26%
With hands, folded over 23 17.29%
With a knife and work 19 14.29%
I always eat the crust 34 25.56%
I generally eat the crust unless it's very dry/not nice 35 26.32%
I generally do not eat the crust unless it's exceptionally good 18 13.53%
I never eat the crust 4 3.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Folded, never K&F & usually eat most of the crust & of course there are "Pizza Boneys" for the dog.
Hah - me too! My dogs always get the last bit of crust. They wait patiently for me to finish so they can get their pizza treat. They don't use a knife or fork either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
LOL hate to admit but I agree.
Using a knife and fork does nothing to change the pizza. The starting point and the end result are exactly the same. The vehicle is irrelevant. ;-)

Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Apparently so ... didn't you see that Mayor diBlasio was recently "schooled" when he took to using a K&F? New Yorkers insist that you NEVER use K&F (SACRILEGE!!!), always your hands. And if it's too big, you fold it in half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
Eating pizza with a knife and fork is simply barbaric. Or the invention of some new age California wannbe. If the slice is too big and floppy, fold it up like a taco.

Pizza is delivery, or home made just depends. Everything gets consumed except the crusts. They go to my two dogs. As my wife says, PIZZA BONES!

Well that's the way it's done in Italy, they probably think Americans are barbaric for using their hands. I didn't care, though, it's what I'm used to and I paid for my food, so I can eat it as I please. In restaurants here they'll sometimes give me cutlery with my pizza, and unless it's oily/messy/too hot I'll go with my hands. Some people use a knife and fork, seems odd but it's their preference.

Oh yeah that's one thing I forgot to mention. In Italy pizza is often not pre-sliced for you, which is another reason why many use a knife and fork. What i would usually do was to cut it into slices with a fork and use my hands lol.

http://www.ottsworld.com/blogs/how-t...ke-an-italian/

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
I've seen plenty of Italians eat pizza with their hands.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I've seen plenty of Italians eat pizza with their hands.
You are talking about Italians in Italy right?

Yeah maybe changing, I didn't pay that much attention to other people eating (too much enjoying the pizza myself!) but I mostly saw knife and fork.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You are talking about Italians in Italy right?

Yeah maybe changing, I didn't pay that much attention to other people eating (too much enjoying the pizza myself!) but I mostly saw knife and fork.
If someone in Italy is buying street pizza (usually square, thicker slices) then hands it is. Or if you're at the convention center or a kiosk at an entertainment venue or similar and getting just a slice of a Neapolitan-ish pizza, hands again.

But for sit down pizza your first post was correct - a true Neapolitan/Roman pizza served at a trattoria/ristorante is not cut into slices. You have to use a K&F.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Apparently so ... didn't you see that Mayor diBlasio was recently "schooled" when he took to using a K&F? New Yorkers insist that you NEVER use K&F (SACRILEGE!!!), always your hands. And if it's too big, you fold it in half.
Absolutely. The French in France do things one way. The French in Canada do it another way. Italians in Italy have their own way. Italian-Americans have another way. DiBlasio needs to adapt. I tend to tilt the pizza so that the oil drips off on the plate instead of on me.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If someone in Italy is buying street pizza (usually square, thicker slices) then hands it is. Or if you're at the convention center or a kiosk at an entertainment venue or similar and getting just a slice of a Neapolitan-ish pizza, hands again.

But for sit down pizza your first post was correct - a true Neapolitan/Roman pizza served at a trattoria/ristorante is not cut into slices. You have to use a K&F.
i also think there's a bit of rivalry between the new york thin crust and the chicago thick crust/thick pizza

i saw it on the food network- chicago offers a much thicker pizza,,,while new york style is very thin,,,much easier to eat with your hands

Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 AM

358 posts, read 512,144 times
Thin crust pizza. The crust is on the bottom, the toppings go to the edge. Cut into squares. I eat with my fingers. I'm doing it right now.

Sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, black olives, onions and fresh garlic when I can get it.

I really like provel cheese St. Louis style, which is a mixture of provolone, cheddar and swiss, but it seems you can only get that in St. Louis, so I'm fine with mozzarella. I'll grant that provel is only processed cheese but it tastes great!

Bacon, Canadian bacon and hamburger are good to add.

Last edited by mbradleyc; 01-16-2014 at 03:23 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 02:34 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
I pick it up with my Neanderthal hands and shove it into my face with reckless abandon. When I eat pizza I couldn't care less about what others think about my method of consumption. Heck, I might even suck the ingredients off the crust with a large diameter straw.

What IS important - it better have a tasty crust, ample sauce, ample ingredients, and the right amount of cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink