Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Capers and pine nuts which the TV cook shows rave about are simply unpleasant, and the reason I don't like Mexican food is cumin. At the risk of being offensive, cumin reminds me of the odor of unwashed armpits.
Cumin is not really all that common in real Mexican food, putting cumin in everything is more of a Tex-Mex thing.

I disagree on capers and pine nuts, unless you're talking about cheap rancid Chinese pine nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
And anything overly spicy like jalapenos just ruins whatever food flavor it's supposed to enhance. Can't understand how people love to eat something that causes pain.
Kind of like working out. It causes pain first, and then pleasure later. I don't understand how people can not like spicy food, but to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 PM

260 posts, read 337,721 times
Oreos
Diet Soda
Sushi
Turkey
Mint chocolate chip ice cream

Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
Single malt scotch
Starbucks coffee

Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Tabasco, Frank's, Crystal and their ilk are nothing but peppered vinegar. Vinegar overwhelms and has no place on any food I'm enjoying.
I don't mind Crystal for certain things, but Tabasco is nasty, and Frank's isn't much better. Cholula is pretty nasty too. Tapatio and Valentina are a little better. El Yucateco XXXtra hot and Caribbean, and the Marie Sharp's sauces are the best major commonly available hot sauces IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Truffle oil. Smells and tastes like rancid garlic.
Truffle oil is BS. Most of it is not actually made with truffles. You're better off buying truffle salt.

Some of my overrated foods:

Cake and donuts- Both completely disgusting to me, I don't know how people eat them
Grapes- good for wine and not much else
Bananas- dirt cheap and super easy to peel, that's about all they have going for them
Huy Fong sriracha- calm down hipsters
Chipotle peppers- I like them but they're overrated, every freaking restaurant on earth has chipotle something or other
Kale- I like it but people have jumped the shark with it
Salmon- plenty of other fish in the sea, ones that aren't as fishy
Tilapia- gross and flavorless, if you're paying $15 for tilapia at a restaurant for this dirt cheap flavorless fish I have to question your sanity
Filet Mignon- lacking in flavor compared to other cuts and over priced
Boneless skinless chicken breasts- especially those nasty gigantic ones
Goat cheese- tastes like a sweaty goat smells
Chocolate that allegedly contains chile pepper-
Canned mushrooms- I threw up in my mouth just thinking about them
Bell peppers- flavor and aroma are not appetizing and the texture of that thick plasticy skin is gross
Black olives- they taste like iron

Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Polenta...........wutttt exactly is Polenta and why are the Yuppies/Hipsters oh-so gaga over it??? Gotta be overrated if THOSE people luvvv it!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 PM

604 posts, read 856,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind give you heat for something so personal as your taste in food and drink? Yes, I know it happens, but still...
I think it might be because I'm female and women stereotypically love wine, as opposed to beer or hard liquor. Most of the aggravation I get is from women. Guys just ask me if I want a beer or cocktail instead, but women are like "What do you mean you don't like wine? Everybody likes wine! Try this, you'll like it!" No I won't! Leave me alone!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,543 times
I can think of several foods I consider overrated:

Sushi (sorry--I just don't get this food or the popularity of it)
Krispy Kreme donuts (too damned sweet--and I have a sweet tooth!)
Pork rinds (aka chicharon in Mexico--I live in Mexico City and it's everywhere!)
Most wine (it just gives me a headache--even one glass)
Guinness Stout (I know--sacrilege! But I cannot seem to hack it.)
Gnocchi (mushy, starchy...but it is fun to say: nyo-kee)
Egg-white omelet (the yolk is where all the flavor is)
All those oily spreads that are supposed to be butter substitutes (No, I do NOT believe it's butter)
Salads bars (give me a simple spinach/romaine salad any day--max number of ingredients=4).
Nachos (I have had so very few really good nachos over the years---I now leave 'em alone)
Hidden Valley Farm Ranch Dressing (I liked it more years ago--now it tastes like chemicals & plastic)
Red Bull Energy drinks and all energy drinks of this ilk (every one I've tasted is yucky)
Tabasco sauce (someone mentioned this already--and I fully agree)
Wedding cake (had one, had them all)
Shark fin soup (killing a shark just for the fin--astoundingly sad)
Puffer fish (people in Japan actually eat and pay a pretty penny this highly poisonous fish. If not prepared by a trained professional, you die. Crazy--no other word for it.)

...there are way more overrated foods, but this is a first stab. And, I agree with the many others already listed.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I do not like the texture of lobster at all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
Ruth's Chris steak - very pricy and I like Outback better.

Ruth's seemed juicy but not as tasty; someone said it;s wet-aged beef and I'm used to dry-aged.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
gluten free....a fad that is sort of over the top popular.
Caviar and raw oysters...yes, please!!!!
agree, including sushi. Also, Chinese and Mexican has been around for so long - just lost it's
appeal (at least for me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink