Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times

Advertisements

what is a person supposed to do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times
Omg broth is so simple and at the same time complexed. But of course if you have not had homemade or authentic consume then you would not know the difference.

For me I rather have a good cup of broth then any ordinary drink.

It is a lighter version of cooking stock or cooking stock thinned of fat. I use it a lot for bases of a lot of recipes if I want to be more healthy.

But mostly broth to me is a warm blanket if it is done right.

In regards to what it is good for, tons of recipes that need chicken stock or broth for it's base.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Use it instead of water in a recipe. (As long as it is very low sodium--some commercial broths are super salty--read the label if not making your own!). Use as a braising liquid instead of water. Cook chicken in chicken broth instead of water; be sure to strain & save as it will be very chickeny tasty stock when you're done.

Just avoid the canned broths if possible. They aren't that good. Use the ones in the cartons if you want commercial. Again--I can't emphasize it enough--use the very low sodium ones.

You can buy or make chicken, beef, or vegetable broths very readily. There are others available sometimes--seafood, fish, veal, etc.

I usually use chicken broth or stock, even in recipes that call for beef broth. Beef broth can get an off taste sometimes, at least to me. I use a lot of broth & stock in my cooking!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:43 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,056 times
Roasted Bone broth...it is soooo good. We raise our own beef and take all the bones home too when we have the meat cut and wrapped.

I roast marrow bones and others that our butcher cuts in a way that leaves some meat attached (believe it is the shin bones) in the oven at high heat, along with carrots and onions. Then I put those roasted bones in a stockpot with more carrots and onions and let it simmer low and slow all day long. Celery too if I have it, salt and pepper as well.

10 or 12 hours later, I strain it all and reduce it a bit more to enhance the flavor. Then I add some cooked hamburger. And savor it, as it is uber rich and flavorful. Other times I freeze the broth without any additions so that I can use it later as a beef stock base for all sorts of soups.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Where to begin? I am a simple cook, and I mainly make soups out of my broth. When I cook in the crockpot, I use broth instead of water. You can also make gravy out of it, though I rarely do that. You can cook rice in it for a flavorful side dish. Like someone else said, whenever you would be using water in a recipe, consider using broth instead (depending on what it is, of course.)

I also use broth in recipes instead of wine. I love wine, but don't like the acidity it brings to food.

I make mine in a pressure cooker. With the bones in there, you get all kinds of minerals and gelatin in the broth - good for you and really flavorful. I also throw in a lot of veggies and spices, for lots of vitamins, as well as flavor. I strain out the bones and veggies, etc., and I can the broth in quart jars. I save all bones from my cooking in the freezer, and when I have a decent amount, make a batch of broth.

I pour my homemade broth on my dog's food every day, too. Lots of calcium, vitamins and minerals. And tasty. She actually will lick up the broth before starting on the meat in her bowl, then the rice and veggies - which is what she gets fed mainly.

So, I even feed my broth to my dog lol! We both love it.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
I am making vegetable broth right now---nothing makes me feel better than a good chicken or beef broth when it is cold out. I make it the same way the other posters do except I have to buy my bones. Add a roaring fire and a good book and I am a happy person.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Mmmmm, warm broth on a cold day is the best! We even make it out of our rotisserie chicken remains, and are doing that tonight. Most of mine turns into soup at some point, but I do use it in recipes instead of water.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Broth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great as a base for soups and stews..

Heres some other easy recipes for novice cooks.
http://www.food.com/recipes/beginner-cook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink