Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM

173 posts, read 460,098 times

Advertisements

I really like chips and salsa...and until about a year ago I had always thought that just like myself when sharing a bowl of salsa and a tray of chips in a restaurant, that people I am eating with would not double dip.

I was so wrong, so wrong....sadly so so very very wrong...ugghhh!!!! Anyway, since that time no matter who I am out to dinner or lunch with I always request my own personal bowl of salsa and tray of chips.

Not just due to the fear of double dippers, but as I said I REALLY like salsa, and I will and do eat the whole bowl and all of the chips...again, so I just get my own.

Well I was out to lunch the other day and as I always do I requested my own chips and salsa and my two sisters I was eating with...were a little taken aback, one more so than the other. I think they somehow thought it had something to do with them....I explained, that I always order my own chips and salsa...

one of them mentioned something about was I really gonna eat all of that....I barely tuned in to that...because at forty five years old I am just not into the habit of explaining my eating habits and have not been for quite sometime.... and it actually surprises me that another adult would even mention such a thing. I think hey, these chips and this salsa is complimentary and if the restaurant doesn't care how much I eat, why should anyone else.

I was flabbergasted, for one thing what I order has nothing to do with anybody else good or bad, and two....I still cannot see how it offended them so...I don't like to share chips and salsa, plus, I eat all of the chips and all of the salsa...this alone lets me know I need my own.

This is my first experience with anyone reacting this way, because I order my own personal appetizers...

And I never ever share food, for one thing I am vegan, I cannot eat from anyone else's plate and two....GERMS

And three....I just don't like the idea of it.

I asked my kids about it...and they said, just explain, that I really like chips and salsa and so that I don't eat it all up from everyone else, I am gonna just order my own portion....that is a really good suggestion...If I can remember that I NEED FOR SOME REASON to explain at all.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Yep - cain't shair food cuz them other folks gots them germs. I don't like nobody eatin from my food so I just stopped goin to eatin places with others and I just like to go to them places alone cuz then I caint catch them germs. Sharin food is just so wrong.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Looks like you've got it covered. Like the Cheezits ads say: Get Your Own. As for having to explain, you're right that you shouldn't HAVE to. People can be childish or nosy or what you.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I don't think one has to share. I think that if one wants to share one offers to do so. But if there is no offer then the other people shouldn't assume that they are allowed to taste the other person's food.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 AM

709 posts, read 955,165 times
To OP.
I will assume you are single, because if you are afraid of getting germs from a double dipping sister, then you obviously could never kiss someone. I guess you live in a bubble and never shake hands with anyone in fear of gerns?
Most places that serve chips and salsa will bring refills of both if you run out, so why not share each bowl/basket with your sisters?
And as far as feeling you don't have to explain your food habits to anyone, then why come to CD and explain them?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:15 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
I prefer my own salsa, but that's because I load each and every chip full of salsa and go through the salsa bowl quite quickly.

I have no problem sharing chips. Every Mexican place I've ever been to is excellent about bringing you more when you start getting low, much less run out.

You're right in that you shouldn't have to explain this to anyone, but I can understand perhaps your sisters being a bit surprised to see you order a bowl of chips all to yourself.

I don't know, I don't worry all that much about germs. I mean, I do wash my hands regularly of course, and I want things to look clean for peace of mind...but choosing to go out into the world, especially to restaurants and other very public places, is to subject yourself to a boatload of gross germs you can't even detect. Restaurant tables, flatware, plates -- heck, the food itself. You just don't know who touched what and who washed what, and you can drive yourself nuts about it to the point that double-dipping will be the least of your worries (and I can't stand double-dipping). And for the record, I have a very healthy and robust immune system (knocking on virtual wood, of course!).

I don't mind sharing food with people if they ask, but they need to ask and not just help themselves.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
The Mexican restaurants around here provide salsa in sort of a mini-carafe and provide each diner with a small bowl and a common basket of chips. I prefer this system, but mostly because I can have the salsa closer to me (rather than in the middle of the table) with less risk of dripping. Germs don't bother me at all.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
we went to a mexican restaurant last night. me and my brother go through the salsa like crazy so we always need refills on the salsa. but i dont mind sharing since they always replace it for free and i havent caught anyone double dipping.

also, if we do finish the salsa and it isnt replaced fast; its probably a good thing that we are forced to take a break so we dont overload on chips & salsa.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
The Mexican restaurants around here provide salsa in sort of a mini-carafe and provide each diner with a small bowl and a common basket of chips. I prefer this system, but mostly because I can have the salsa closer to me (rather than in the middle of the table) with less risk of dripping. Germs don't bother me at all.
Yes---here on the border, the restaurants always provide each diner with their own plate or small bowl for salsa--more likely a plate, since at least two different salsas are usually provided. And they are refilled if requested. Maybe the OP needs to go to a better restaurant. Or stay home & make her own & eat it ALL!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
I'd just say this (and it the truth):

"I'm trying to save the wait staff a second trip."

Then, you just look to be what you are: considerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink