Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times

Advertisements

If your afraid of bacteria and want to eat a raw steak just throw
it on a flame for 5-10 seconds on each side, put it on a plate,
slice it to size cut you liking, then cut all of the out side brown off,
and now it is raw and you can ...........

Chow-Down.

Last edited by bumpus7; 01-23-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
An insane amount of work goes into properly raising the best beef to get the perfect marbling. An insane amount of work goes into butchering it properly and dry aging the best prime cut steak. I don't care what your preference is, but it is impossible to argue that a well done steak contains the same juiciness as a rare or medium rare cooked steak. The laws of physics and chemistry are against you. At higher temps that define a well done steak you water loss is going to be much more significant and you start rendering all of the fat out of your steak. You might as well throw all of the work that went into the perfectly marbled and dry aged steak away. But hey if people want to waste their money then let them.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:51 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
An insane amount of work goes into properly raising the best beef to get the perfect marbling. An insane amount of work goes into butchering it properly and dry aging the best prime cut steak. I don't care what your preference is, but it is impossible to argue that a well done steak contains the same juiciness as a rare or medium rare cooked steak. The laws of physics and chemistry are against you. At higher temps that define a well done steak you water loss is going to be much more significant and you start rendering all of the fat out of your steak. You might as well throw all of the work that went into the perfectly marbled and dry aged steak away. But hey if people want to waste their money then let them.
Funny thing....I had a steak dinner Monday night and had it cooked well done. It still was juicy as the was juice coming out of the steak every time I cut it. I also had to cut some fat out of it. And man it was tasty!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
I like the charred taste to it.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:26 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Steak is not really a treat to me, I'm tired of it after about 3 bites. I'd rather have it well-done than overly rare, although on those occasions I dine at a steakhouse I order it medium. I used to get it medium-rare when I was younger, but I have this theory that medium in Texas is the same as medium-rare in California.

Skirt steak tacos are awesome!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
Why do people eat well done steaks?

That was the OP question.

Because they like it that way ... which is very simple ! ! ! ...

Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I've had steaks all the way from well-done to medium rare, and for me. At first I only ate it well done, because that's how my parents cooked it.

Then I moved to Texas... A WHOLE 'NOTHER WORLD! MAN can they cook meat! That's the thing I miss most, besides the hospitality and friendly people.

We were going to a steakhouse and I'd gone online reading about steaks, and how they are more tender when cooked less, etc. So I went to the steakhouse and ordered medium well, and discovered it was so much better (IMO). I literally remembered the King of the Hill episode where Bobbie asks his dad Hank what to do if someone orders a steak well done... Hank replied "I will ask them to leave" and I know it's a show, but I didn't want to be given weird looks at a high end steak house!

Then the next time I went, I dropped to medium- WOW.

Then the last time I went I said medium rare- HEAVEN.

Now I usually order my steaks medium/medium rare.

I agree to those who say they like their meat chewy and cooked long and slow, skirt steak is awesome for that (I make it at home now and then). I do the same with beef shank and ribs (oh yummy).

Then my husband started complaining his steak was always tough, so I convinced him to try my steaks, and he did, and now he eats his medium/mw.

I don't think someone should go from well done to medium rare in one go, that's too far, but I usually encourage people to at least try going down to medium well. I'm a foodie too, I try to not be a snob, but I find pretty much everyone who I suggest to try medium well when they complain their steaks are tough, end up at least staying at that level, if not going lower over time.

I just feel like people who eat their steak well done are missing out Coming from both worlds, I've found I prefer it less cooked. And btw it is true, steak is not porous like chicken, so bacteria doesn't penetrate steak like chicken. Hence why chicken needs to be cooked through and steak doesn't.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
My wife cannot stand to have any red / pink at all in her steaks. When ordering, I always give the server specific instructions when I tell them "Well Done" for her steak, and yet I can't even count the number of times that she's gotten it, cut it, and have it be medium rare inside. Then we have to sit there and wait for the server to come back, take it back to be cooked according to our instructions, and all of our sides and my steak are getting cold. (I'm *not* going to sit there and eat first.)
You can always tell how the cook likes his/her steak. I have had this happen to me before and usually the cook thinks that ordering a steak "well done" is somehow ruining the meat. Of course, it's not up to him/her to decide how you like your food prepared.

I have sent back a few in the past, but these days I make such an issue of how I want it cooked. "double-well" with no pink *at all*, make it shoe leather", that most people get it. However, I have had to send back a few pink-in-the-middle hamburgers in the past few years.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
When a person eats something which has been prepared in the way in which he chooses to eat it, he has not wasted his money. The issue is not the amount of juiciness of the steak, the issue is the taste preference of the person eating the steak and is no one else's business. People making an issue out of another person's taste preferences as many are doing, is asinine. With all the trouble in the world, some people want to make an issue out of this.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
In response to no one in particular.The idea is to enjoy the steak, if you like it rare you wont like it well done just as i like it medium well (140F)and i wont be liking it rare, i dont get this logic that if i dont like it your way of rare i'm somehow not enjoying the steak and i may as well throw it away, kind of a selfish attitude on your part. I certainly dont pontificate on your choice of how you are supposed to like your steak.. i find the first 3 options on this picture rather revolting and if i had to eat a rare steak i wouldnt enjoy it and would give up eating steaks if rare was my only option..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink