Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I would if this was "personal taste." wanting a medium well/well done steak is ignorance.

my wife was this way before we met and I introduced her to properly cooked steak. my mom's caveman boyfriend is like this and its because of his upbringing. I think medium and above steak was more common in the prior generation to mine but as access to better meat has become more common; people have evolved.
I personaly wasn't raised with meat that wasn't thoroughly cooked.
It's just not done in the culture I come from.

Only as an adult have I started to appreciate steaks done the "western" way.
I usually go for medium rare. There's definitely some pink inside but it's not all pink. It's somewhat cooked on the outside.

I eat and like tartare but I want spices with that.
I'm not fond enough of the taste of raw meat to have unspiced tartare or completely rare steak.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The arrogance involved in calling someone ignorant just because they like their steak cooked differently than you do is truly astounding.
You have to admit that sometimes it is plain unawareness that we're dealing with.
I used to be afraid and totally uninterested in steaks that weren't well done, because I was completely unfamiliar with eating meat that wasn't thouroughly cooked. A few people encouraged me to try good quality steaks that were much less cooked and, you know, that stuff was actually good

It's a bit the same with wine. I used to know pretty much nothing about it and I drank cheap wine.
A good friend of mine made fun of me and told me to try harder. I tried harder and while I'm far from being a wine conoisseur, I can say that my taste in wine is objectively better than it was 3 years ago, especially since I learned how to buy wine that's much, much better and often *cheaper* than the swill I used to buy before

I personally don't get too worked up about what the other people eat. If I'm dealing with friends and family though, I can share in a gentle manner what I've learned and introduce them to ways of eating that they might appreciate but just don't know about. If you love cheeses and you have a fully grown adult friend who seems to love cheez-whiz, would you feel arrogant to share some of your knowledge of cheese with your friend ?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
Well done, and Medium Well steaks need steak sause for flavor,
and to make it soft enough to chew.

Rare to medium rare need ague sauce, which makes it nice.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
You have to admit that sometimes it is plain unawareness that we're dealing with.
I used to be afraid and totally uninterested in steaks that weren't well done, because I was completely unfamiliar with eating meat that wasn't thouroughly cooked. A few people encouraged me to try good quality steaks that were much less cooked and, you know, that stuff was actually good

It's a bit the same with wine. I used to know pretty much nothing about it and I drank cheap wine.
A good friend of mine made fun of me and told me to try harder. I tried harder and while I'm far from being a wine conoisseur, I can say that my taste in wine is objectively better than it was 3 years ago, especially since I learned how to buy wine that's much, much better and often *cheaper* than the swill I used to buy before

I personally don't get too worked up about what the other people eat. If I'm dealing with friends and family though, I can share in a gentle manner what I've learned and introduce them to ways of eating that they might appreciate but just don't know about. If you love cheeses and you have a fully grown adult friend who seems to love cheez-whiz, would you feel arrogant to share some of your knowledge of cheese with your friend ?
While it is true that some people may come to prefer a steak prepared in ways other than well done, and while it is legitimate to encourage another person to try something different then he is used to, no one has the right as some people on this thread are doing to look down on, or to criticize other people who eat their steak well done.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I can eat Steak Tartare but a real steak has to be at least medium and I prefer well-done. I ask for an end cut of prime rib also.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
I say to each their own. I'm not eating their steak and they are not eating mine. My Grandfather loved his steak well done. Me, I used to like mine rare but have changed up a bit to anything around med or med-rare or is that med-rare to medium . Sometimes I like the A1 steak sauce on the side for lightly dipping. Ugh ugh, I can hear another group grumbling on the side about the steak sauce.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post
For the same reason that they eat refrigerated chocolate, room-temperature fruit (with the exception of bananas) from a stupid bowl on the counter, or vegetables cooked to the point of being mush.

...Because they don't know any better.
I "know better" that Mother Nature ripens most fruit at temperatures warmer than a refrigerator, and it is at those temperatures that they are meant to be eaten. It's not nice to fool Mother Nature ... and my "stupid" fruit bowl knows it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
As my daddy used to say about steaks ---- *****Knock the cow's horns off, wipe his hind end and run him through the fire!!!! But don't let him tarry or his meat will cook too much!**** You must understand that my dad was an old time farmer who was also raised on a farm!
My grandmother -- raised on a farm -- would say to those who preferred the meat a little pink: "Cannibals!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You can always tell how the cook likes his/her steak. I have had this happen to me before and usually the cook thinks that ordering a steak "well done" is somehow ruining the meat. Of course, it's not up to him/her to decide how you like your food prepared.
My experience is that any time you ask for a meat cooked medium, you get medium-rare. If you ask for it done medium-well, you get medium, etc. -- especially when you're ordering burgers. There's always a way to get what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In response to no one in particular.The idea is to enjoy the steak, if you like it rare you wont like it well done just as i like it medium well (140F)and i wont be liking it rare, i dont get this logic that if i dont like it your way of rare i'm somehow not enjoying the steak and i may as well throw it away, kind of a selfish attitude on your part.
Indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
That may be, but if someone tells me they like their steaks well-done, who am I to insist otherwise?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I never understood why some people get so worked up over something they don't have to eat! If you like it dripping blood then good for you. For a lot of people it's just a visual/texture thing that they just don't enjoy meat that isn't cooked all the way. I don't get why some people find that so offensive. Really rare meat upsets my stomach so even though I don't mind it that way, it minds me! I usually go for medium well.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:26 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Well done, and Medium Well steaks need steak sause for flavor,
and to make it soft enough to chew.

Rare to medium rare need ague sauce, which makes it nice.

What kind of sauce is that?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That may be, but if someone tells me they like their steaks well-done, who am I to insist otherwise?
Does it matter who you're interacting with at the time ?

I'd definitely let my wife, my close relatives and my friends give me their opinion about a dish.
I don't mean that I have to agree with whatever they say, but I wouldn't be offended by them commenting on what I'm eating.

I also don't see what's offensive about people in a public food and drink forum discussing this topic.

Of course I'd find it quite inappropriate for a random stranger to comment on my food.
That is unwelcome intrusion, for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink