Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
E-coli isn't really much of a risk with steaks - that's more of an issue with ground beef. And I really hope everyone on here realizes that it's not blood that's "oozing out"!
Best bet with ground beef is get it from someone who grinds it one hunk of meat at a time or buy a grinder. You get just ground beef this way too, not a few dollups of pink slime and some food coloring and so on. You can absolutely taste the difference when its not amended.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
My wife cannot stand to have any red / pink at all in her steaks. When ordering, I always give the server specific instructions when I tell them "Well Done" for her steak, and yet I can't even count the number of times that she's gotten it, cut it, and have it be medium rare inside. Then we have to sit there and wait for the server to come back, take it back to be cooked according to our instructions, and all of our sides and my steak are getting cold. (I'm *not* going to sit there and eat first.)
There is one steak house chain in California we quit going to. I like my steaks blood rare. They didn't know the term, but I'd say extra rare. Then it would come back with all but the center pink. I'd send it back and they'd bring back another pink center. The last time while everyone else was done I finally got a RARE steak and had to take it home. The chain's policy to avoid ANY problem with meat is to not do true rare. Lost some frequent customers over that.

I discovered a small place in the same town who actually used midwestern beef (after having discovered the wonders of midwestern beef on a vacation) and went there or another place which carried it.

Here, it says on the menu that there is a slight risk with blood rare but they still serve it without arguing with you.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
I was a vegetarian for years. When I transitioned to eating meat again, I could only tolerate eating very well-done meat for about 2 years. I think it was a bit easier psychologically as well as being a bit easier to digest.

My mother is paranoid about food poisoning and if she eats in a restaurant, she orders her steak cooked like burnt offering.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Who made you an authority on any of this stuff...cooking....upbringing...generational preferences...evolution....??? You come across as a controlling know it all on a topic as benign as steak for god's sake. Ramp it down a bit dude. Your definition of ignorance (wanting a medium well/well done steak) is IGNORANT!!!!Duh.....
im allowed to have my opinion. people are giving their opinions on here all the time and nobody instituted a requirement for them to be authorities in the subjects of their opinions. overcooked steak is always inferior to properly cooked steak. the vast majority of people who think they prefer it overcooked would change their minds if properly weaned off of burnt steak (like a baby) and transitioned to properly cooked meat.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:16 PM

33,231 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im allowed to have my opinion. people are giving their opinions on here all the time and nobody instituted a requirement for them to be authorities in the subjects of their opinions. overcooked steak is always inferior to properly cooked steak. the vast majority of people who think they prefer it overcooked would change their minds if properly weaned off of burnt steak (like a baby) and transitioned to properly cooked meat.
A proper opinion would be, 'In my opinion, a rare done steak tastes better than a well done steak.' Not, 'Anyone who eats a steak other than the way I personally prefer to eat my steak is ignorant.'

And how do you know that a person who likes a well done steak has never tried a rare done steak? You don't!!! You are simply superimposing your preferences on other people. A properly cooked steak is a steak that is cooked in accordance to the way the person eating that steak wants it cooked.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A proper opinion would be, 'In my opinion, a rare done steak tastes better than a well done steak.' Not, 'Anyone who eats a steak other than the way I personally prefer to eat my steak is ignorant.'

And how do you know that a person who likes a well done steak has never tried a rare done steak? You don't!!! You are simply superimposing your preferences on other people. A properly cooked steak is a steak that is cooked in accordance to the way the person eating that steak wants it cooked.

^^^
Yup....exactly!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Especially expensive cuts of steak, I just don't get it.
I don't eat any type of meat that is not fully cooked.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I haven't eaten steak since my birthday in July when I ordered it well done and got it quite rare. I wanted to throw up when I cut into it. It will be a long time before I eat it again, if ever. (I only indulged 3 or 4 times a year to begin with, so no big loss.)

It's psychological for me. I've been turned off by meat all together lately, though.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Who made you an authority on any of this stuff...cooking....upbringing...generational preferences...evolution....??? You come across as a controlling know it all on a topic as benign as steak for god's sake. Ramp it down a bit dude. Your definition of ignorance (wanting a medium well/well done steak) is IGNORANT!!!!Duh.....
lol. There are reasons God invented the IGNORE button. That would be one of those reasons.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
to each theiir own,,,eat whatever you like,,
the usda advises to cook meat at these temps (below) at these temps it kills the bacteria

beef above 140 degrees internal temp

pork 145 internal temp

poultry 165 internal temp

burger 160 internal temp

i like rare- to medium rare steaks,,, i think the optimum flavor and tenderness is medium rare-
having been a butcher for decades, some customers would complain the meat was tough, and most of the time, they would overcook a lean dry steak,,,,

my sister,,,likes it burnt,,,just the way it is, so to each their own

the one thing im a stickler about is a prime rib roast,,,if overcooked a very expensive roast can be ruined- imo

i have been on the receiving end of overcooked tough meats for years, friends and family will invite us over,,,completely destroy the meal,,,,but i politefully tell them it was good. im a guest,,i have manners and respect
now if they ask for assistance i will certainly tell them,,(its usually the wife, that buys a lean steak like a top round overcooks it and its very tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink